Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Overnight Train from Austria-Italy...is 1st class worth the $$$? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/overnight-train-from-austria-italy-is-1st-class-worth-the-130236/)

Ela Jun 14th, 2001 07:37 PM

Overnight Train from Austria-Italy...is 1st class worth the $$$?

We are going to be traveling on an overnight train (about 12 hours) from Austria-Italy. I was just wondering if 1st class is worth the extra money on a trip that is so long? Has anyone else had experiences in either 1st or 2nd class on an overnight train?

Bob Brown Jun 15th, 2001 01:18 PM

Because no one has responded, let me give my opinion and "top" this at the same time. <BR>For a long trip like that, I prefer first class, even though it costs me more. The seats are a little more spacious and the density of other people is not as great. <BR> <BR>I am not familiar with your particular situation on an overnight trip from Austria to Italy, so my comment is not specifically on that question.

Ben Haines Jun 15th, 2001 03:07 PM

Fodors <BR> <BR>The first thing is to establish that you're taking a couhette or saleeper. A whole night sitting up, in any class, is exhausting. Lying down, second class has couchettes, six to a compartment, at a supplement of 15 US dollars each, and berths in 3-berth compartments at 50 dollars supplement. First class has doubles at 75 dollars supplement a berth and singles at 100 dollars supplement a berth. The best buy is probably the three berth second class sleeper, though unless you are three travellers they book you by sex, and you share a compaertment with two strangers, of your sex. <BR> <BR>I have on disc a note on sleepers and couchettes: shall I copy it to you ? And can I help you further ? <BR> <BR>Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, london <BR> <BR>

JKD Jun 15th, 2001 04:45 PM

My wife and I did your trip in reverse a few years ago; Udine, Italy to Vienna, Austria...By all means, spend the $100 for a 1st class berth( a hotel room) in lieu of sitting in the aisles (sp),that we encountered on our journey...It's worth it.

Roger & Amy Jun 15th, 2001 07:24 PM

Ela, <BR> <BR> Go first-class. The dregs of society sometimes take over second-class and you might end up listening to a ghetto blaster (bad portable music). Depending on the time of year you are traveling, there is a good chance you might have a private trip by closing the doors and curtains in your cubicle of train seats. Anyway, you should have a more comfortable and quiet trip. We traveled from Rome to Munich and loved the trip. It was December and we had a cubicle for ourselves most of the trip. Ours was not a sleeping train, but take it from me, GO FIRST-CLASS! <BR> <BR>Roger

Ben Haines Jun 17th, 2001 11:48 AM

Fodors <BR> <BR>All night trains from Austria to Italy have sleepers, in which anybody who played music would be asked to leave, by the railway police if need be. In fifty years' travel I've never met a ghetto-blaster on a sleeper. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

kam Jun 17th, 2001 12:23 PM

I hope if you're going through the Brenner Pass, at least that part of the trip will be in daylight. There's some gorgeous scenery there. Additionally, I would pay the extra for a first class sleeper and count it as "hotel expenses".