overnight stay in Paris

Old Jan 9th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overnight stay in Paris

My wife and I will be in Dordogne for a week this summer, and then depart from CDG in Paris at 11:15 AM on a Sunday at the end of June. We will probably take the train from Brive-la-Gaillarde to Paris on the preceding Saturday. Since we'll need to arrive early in the morning for our flight, I'm wondering if there are suggestions for a convenient place to stay close to the airport rather than have to take a cab or long RER ride from central Paris early Sunday morning?

We will be in Paris for a week before going to Dordogne so we really don't need to have a night out on the town in Paris- although if no other good options are available, we'll force ourselves! Thanks for any suggestions, I imagine others have had a similar situation and solved it already.
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 09:48 AM

Hotels in all price ranges are near or in CDG (Sheraton terminal 2e and I think one other). Some are on the rail line, almost all have a transfer service.

Do a search on CDG airport hotels--I've had friends stay at the Marriott Courtyard which they liked because there was a garden/park quite near.

Key things, dinner and breakfast service if important to you and frequency of transfer service and cost if applicable.
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 10:33 AM

I don't think there is any great place to stay right on the RER line that is very close to the airport, if that's what you mean. The two closest stops are just business, the Exposition park and Le Bourget (another small airport). Nor is there any great place within a very short taxi drive, it's pretty industrial around the airport. Of course, any place calling itself an "airport hotel" won't be very far from it and there are plenty of those.
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 10:50 AM

I meant the shuttle train not RER.
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 10:51 AM

There's "village" of airport hotels minutes from CDG. A shuttle bus circulates all day. I've stayed in 2 of the smaller ones and they were just fine. BUT, there's only about one restaurant (you can walk or take the shuttle), which is overpriced and mediocre. Perhaps you can pack up a picnic of fromage and saucisson in Dordogne (putting it in a stink-proof bag) end enjoy it at your hotel.
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 10:52 AM

We stayed at he Sheraton in May, having taken the TGV from Avignon directly to CDG. We loved the convenience of exiting the train, going up the escalator and walking into the hotel. Our flight the next day was early. We dined and breakfasted in the hotel and received an upgrade to a room in the concierge section with a view of the runways.

It was a typical big chain American hotel, but the we loved the convenience of the location. It is located about 50 feet from the entrance to CDG.
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 01:56 PM

There are MANY hotels at CDG. It can be very confusing as to where they really are in terms of getting to airport.

We had a reservation at a Novotel at CDG and we were dropped off [taxi] at the wrong one. We were able to take a free bus shuttle to get to the correct one but it was a long ride all the way around the airport making several stops. In the morning we had a likewise long bus ride to actual terminal [there are many terminals that each have their own stop]. I think it was about 45 minutes on the bus. I thought at one point we had left the airport grounds and were in some adjoining town!

[We stayed at: Suite Novotel Paris Roissy CDG Really outnowhere with no place to eat.]

Be careful of where you book!

IF I had to do it again, I'd stay right at the Sheraton. Lots of decent places to eat too.
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 04:25 PM

The RER stops at terminal 2. Many shuttle vans to nearby hotels pick up at parts of that terminal. The nearby village of Roissy, as noted, is colonized by hotels for travellers. The large Accor group operates eight at various price points, sharing shuttles. It has several more just to the east of the airport, and several more on the airport grounds. There are competing chains. Dining in Roissy village is mostly confined to those hotel clusters. The Aeroports de Paris site shows hotels on the CdG property itself.
http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/docs/....jpeg?sfvrsn=4
http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/bookin...pMiddleContent
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, this is all very helpful and exactly what I was hoping to learn.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 08:37 PM

overnight stay in Paris
Posted by: WisconsinTed on Jan 9, 16 at 1:06pm
Posted in: Europe
Tagged: France

suggestions for a convenient place to stay close to the airport

A ditto for the Sheraton in CDG. I stayed there once on a layover. After dropping my bag in the room I took the RER to Luxembourg and walked around, ate in one of my favorite restaurants, walked some more, and then back to CDG. In the morning I wheeled my bag to check-in. It couldn't have been more convenient.