Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Overnight parking near Napoli port (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/overnight-parking-near-napoli-port-849426/)

vlafina Jul 13th, 2010 01:31 PM

Overnight parking near Napoli port

Hi, all!
I need a help to find a parking near Napoli port for 11 nights in September. We are going for 7 nights to Capri and 4 nights to Ischia. Our hotels have a free parking but we really do not need a car over there. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

zeppole Jul 13th, 2010 01:53 PM

Most people would not park a car for 11 nights anywhere in Italy. They'd return it to the rental company, and rent again when they needed the car again. Talk with your rental company about doing this.

vlafina Jul 13th, 2010 05:25 PM

We will rent a car in Munich not Italy.Does it make any difference?

zeppole Jul 13th, 2010 05:42 PM

The only difference is money. I don't know where you are going in between Munich and Napoli. I don't know how many people are in your party of "we." I do know you can take trains between Munich and Napoli, and planes. I do know that parking and gas and tolls in italy are expensive, plus car rental companies often charge you money for taking a car from Germany into Italy if you are not taking it back to italy.

I am thinking that maybe it would be much cheaper for you to get rid of that car instead of paying to park it for 11 days in a Neopolitan parking lot. If you decide to park it, make sure you are insured for damage and theft.

zeppole Jul 13th, 2010 05:57 PM

Sorry, I meant to type "if you are not taking it back to Germany."

vlafina Jul 14th, 2010 05:41 AM

Thank you very much for your respond.
Me and my husband, we usually rent a car in Munich and then travel in Europe, drive back to Munich and then fly back to US. We plan to drive straight to Napoli, park in Napoli, have vacation in Capri and Ischia and drive then to Salzburg for 2 days and fly from Munich to US. We never travelled by trains. We know that driving in Italy is very expensive but we never consider train as an option. Probably we'll take a car to Capri, park in the hotel(we've already done this in 2007) and then take a car to Napoli, leave it for 4 nights in garage, go to Ischia without a car. Complicated!

zeppole Jul 14th, 2010 06:44 AM

If you enjoy doing this, I'm not going to stop you, but I would prefer to fly.

ekscrunchy Jul 14th, 2010 07:26 AM

As long as you are renting the car, I would take it to Ischia. While the island does have good bus service, a car would allow you to have more freedom to access out of the way restaurants and beaches....

Where are you staying on Ischia? Will you take meals at the hotel?

zeppole Jul 14th, 2010 08:35 AM

I agree. If you can take a car to Ischia, it is better than parking it in Napoli.

LoveItaly Jul 14th, 2010 09:06 AM

Hello, viafina. May I ask what month you took your car to Capri? I ask as I thought that non residents cars were prohibited on Capri from sometime in Spring until sometime in Autumn but maybe that is no longer true. Anyway, I am curious.

vlafina Jul 14th, 2010 12:40 PM

We were on Capri in 2007 and we took a car with us. We had free parking in our hotel (Hotel Weber in Marina Piccola). We didn't use a car there. The island is very small - 2x4 km and roads are very, very narrow. We booked the same hotel in September but I didn't check yet if we can take a car with us.

We will stay in Hotel Le Querce Terme & Spa, Ischia. We could order half board but we decided that it would be great to have dinner in different places.

The reason we were thinking to leave a car in Napoli because we have to leave Ischia on 10th of September very early in the morning because we have to drive 10 hours to Salzburg. I found one ferry from Ischia to Napoli at 6:45am - Caremar ferry that is supposed to take cars but I couldn't reserve the tickets with the car. That's why we started to think about parking in Napoli.
If someone could help me with information about ferries that take cars I'll really appreciate it.
Thanks.

ekscrunchy Jul 14th, 2010 02:21 PM

The reason I asked where you will take your meals on Ischia is because if you want to eat out of the hotel, and to seek out some of the better eating spots on the island, a car is useful. Taxi prices are very high and while the buses are reliable, they do not serve everyplace.

If I were in your shoes, I would keep the car on Ischia but perhaps someone will have more info on the ferry situation....

vlafina Jul 14th, 2010 05:23 PM

I hope someone has this information.
Thanks

LoveItaly Jul 14th, 2010 05:53 PM

Hello again, viafina, I went to Google and typed in: car ferries Naples to Ischa. Some website were no longer valid. Here is one that is.
http://www.visitingeu.com/western-eu...to-ischia.html

I didn't read any of the other websites as I had an eye appointment a bit ago and my eyes were dialated so it is a bit difficult to read right at the moment. But you might do the same search on Google also. Best wishes and have a wonderful trip!

vlafina Jul 15th, 2010 07:46 AM

Thanks.

Mimar Jul 15th, 2010 08:32 AM

If I did this trip, I'd fly Air Berlin from Munich to Naples. They have fares from about 85 euros roundtrip. For Salzburg I'd train or drive from Munich; it's a short trip.

Trains are a wonderful way to travel in Europe. Everybody gets to enjoy the scenery, which flows by through large picture windows. Trains take you from city center to city center. You don't need to find or pay for parking. The seats are spacious and comfortable; the toilet's at the end of the car.

Leaving a car parked for 11 days in Naples is asking for trouble. If you bring it to Capri and Ischia, that might be safer. But you're still paying rental fees just to park the car.

GeoffHamer Jul 15th, 2010 09:03 AM

There are two car ferry operators to Ischia, Caremar and Medmar:
www.caremar.it
www.medmargroup.it
Services run from Napoli and Pozzuoli.
However, I'm baffled as to why anyone should rent a car for a trip like this.

vlafina Jul 15th, 2010 01:58 PM

Thank you Mimar and GeoffHamer for your advices. I am thinking maybe to go there by train but what I found everything in German and I was just lost. Can you help me with the site to book a train?

Mimar Jul 15th, 2010 07:38 PM

Here's the English (UK) version of the German train page: http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml. However it doesn't show a ticket price. The RailEurope site (www.raileurope.com) shows $600+. Trip time is 10+ hours with a minimum of one train change.