Itinerary suggestions 10 days with 12yo son

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my son to Spain in June for a short 10 day trip. That gives us about 9 days of exploration. We will spend the first 3 days in Barcelona trying to recover and see the sights. I would then like to take my son out of the big city and explore some mountains and beaches. I don't want to be constantly on the go. I would love itinerary suggestions for the trip. Here are my initial thoughts:
3 nights in Barcelona
2 nights in Girona - take day trips to various medieval castles
3 nights on beach - perhaps Palafrugell???
last night back in Barcelona before we fly out.

He likes adventure but like any 12yo boy needs time to just be in one place and play. Hence, the beach idea. Would so appreciate any itinerary ideas. We will not have a car (ideally). Mountains are another thought for a few days but not sure if I can get there by train.

Thank you!
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 04:30 PM
kja

It depends!

IMO, 3 nights is VERY little for Barcelona, particularly as you will be trying to recover from jet lag while there.

If possible, put all you time in Barcelona at the end of your trip to cut down on one change of hotel.

Hope that helps!
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 04:31 PM
kja

P.S. Have you considered using the beaches in Barcelona itself, rather than trying to add in yet another location?
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 06:45 PM

Aiguablava is marvelous but don't know if you can reach it by public transport. So is Begur. Who would want to swim in a port city like Barcelona or Malaga ? Full of oil and feces. Yuck.
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 06:55 PM
kja

I defer to Bedar and retract my recommendation for Barcelona's beach.
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 11:48 PM

Could be a good idea to stay in wonderful Barcelona itself, several excellent, tranquile, local atmosphere and almost village like districts close to the city center such as Poble Sec and Gracia. And you also have the Montjuic (Jewish mountain) hill/park with all the greens, the Castell on top, the best views of the city and the sea, the Olympic sports arenas, the museums and the theaters.
https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide....ia-barrio.html
http://www.oh-barcelona.com/en/barce...cts/poble-sec/
https://www.barcelona.de/en/barcelon...-montjuic.html

And all the nine city beaches in Barcelona has got the highest possible water quality ranking ("excellent quality") of the European Union Environmental Agency.
http://www.eea.europa.eu/themes/wate...bathing-waters

Here's some good info about the many beaches in Barcelona, and the main Baceloneta beach is as good atmosphere as it gets, all kinds of people and all kinds of activities until sunset: https://theculturetrip.com/europe/sp...-in-barcelona/
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. I definitely don't want to stay in Barcelona the whole time but would be open to just one other destination. I'm with you - that might be too much running. But my 12 year old will only enjoy a few days of architecture, churches and museums. Do any of you have any experience with Girona? Or perhaps a short flight to Majorca would be ideal for the second location?
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

What about 5 nights in Barcelona and 4 nights at the beach? Sitges is often recommended but doesn't appeal so much. It looks quite big and busy. How about Majorca for the 4 nights? Is there exploration to do on the island? Looks like there are sweet small towns and beautiful beaches?
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 08:46 AM

Your original itinerary looks nice but I would put Barcelona at the end. I would not call the beach in Barcelona nice. I really like the idea of Barcelona and Mallorca though.
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 09:55 AM

Forget Sitges unless you like to frequent gays bars. It's a real mecca fot that. Mallorca or any of the gorgeous Costa Brava beaches north of Barcelona would be good.
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Okay thanks - Egbert I was wondering the same - if I should put Barcelona on the end of the trip and just fly right out to Mallorca (Majorca?). Any suggestions on where to go in Mallorca?

Bedar - thanks for that heads up. Probably not that kind of trip ;-)