Overnight in Frankfurt

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 12:25 PM
Sankar

Overnight in Frankfurt

Hi! I have to spend a night in Frankfurt on my way back from Budapest to NYC. I arrive at around 8pm and my flight the next morning is at 7am.
I am debating whether I should go into the city for the night or stay at a hotel airport. Any opinions would be much appreciated.
In particular, recommendations regarding hotels in the city or at the airport would be welcome (along with nice reasonably priced restaurants suggestions). Finally, any information on how early I can catch a train to the airport in the morning (and how long the journey is) would be very useful.
Thanks!

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Art

Hi again Sankar, based on the time I lived in Franfurt (although there was no train to the airport then) they are so close together that I can't imagine more than 10 minutes. Getting to the train station would probable take longer. With a 7:00 am flight, I would opt for hotels around the airport.
Don't forget to post your trip report on Budapest when you return.
Regards
Art

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 12:57 PM
guy

I guess you can call it..depending upon how tired you may be when you get to Frankfurt...THE most convenient of course is to stay at the Sheraton at Franfurt am Main..it is just being remodeled ..and from time to time can be expensive...but conveninet it is...In fact it is within walking distance..just up the escaltor in Terminal 1 and across the skywalk and into the lobby...You would also have time to go downtown to the Gran Arabella if you wanted..which is an extremely nice hotel..and actually has 2 or 3 nice restraraunts inside of the hotel.and is located next to the train stop on the way to the airport...although I think Iwould just take a cab...As I recal it is bout a 15 minute taxi to the airport...+ 0r - 5 minutes...

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 04:21 PM
Bob

There is also a Steigenberger Hotel near the airport that may be less costly than the Sheraton. The Sheraton is the best choice though for convenience.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 09:42 PM
Thanh

Dear Bob,
My husband and I have to overnight in Frankfurt also. Please give more info on how to book at hotel Steigenberger Hotel. What is the cost for an overnight stay. I'll check with Sheraton to see what the rate. Thanks

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 12:07 AM
Philip

Last year I stayed near the Frankfurt Bahnhof and took a train that went to the airport. I think it left about 6:15 am and took about 15 minutes to the airport. If I remember correctly train service doesn't start until about 6 am (but you might want to get a second opinion). My suggestion is to stay in a hotel near the airport. There is not much to do in Frankfurt and you will probably appreciate the extra sleep.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Heike

Hallo, I have lived in Frankfurt for 20 years until the end of last year.
Trains to the city take about 15 minutes and go earlier than 6 back to the airport, there are also busses and taxis are not too expensive as Frankfurt is the only city, where the airport is so close to the center.

You could get a budget hotel in Sachsenhausen, where also are quiet nice restaurants and other opportunuties like ─ppelwoilocations to get some real Frankfurt experience or you go to the Intercontinantal Hotel, which is very near the main station, if you whish 5 star standard and assk the concierge for specific good restaurants near there.
Staying at the airport is only convinient, if you are sure you only want to stay within aircondition during the whole time, as there is nothing you can do by feet. Or you book in the Sheraton for the night and drive for the evening in town.
┤The Seigenberger is nice in the wood, but nothing much to see around.

Have a nice trip
Heike