Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What about this hotel in Munich? Other suggestions??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be making our first trip to Munich December 15-19. I cannot decide on a hotel. We were thinking about The Charles located at Sophienstrasse 28. It looks nice and gets good reviews, but I keep feeling like we should explore another place. I'm not sure about the location. We want this time to be rather low-key. We are not making any plans, just want to relax, walk around, try to get in the Christmas spirit before we head on to Paris for a week (with lots of plans there)!

Any feedback about The Charles would be helpful or any other suggestions.

Thanks all.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 09:08 AM

Some years back we stayed at the Plotzl, one block from the Marienplatz and thus very well located. Good room, good breakfast. I've seen recent recommendations for the place.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 09:33 AM

I have been wanting to try the Hotel Louis as it looks lovely and I like the location but it always prices too high. For the last few years we have stayed at Sofitel Bayerpost. We love the rooms and the service and the location, for our needs, is quite perfect.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Checked out Hotel Louis. There doesn't seem to be photos of the rooms nor does it say if the beds are queen or king sized. Do you know?
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, but Hotel Louis does not have rooms for the dates we are there.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:56 AM

The location is still very much in walking distance to the historic city center.
But the immediate surroundings are not as grand as the hotel.
The old botanical garden on the other side of the street which is nowadays just a small park does attract somewhat shady elements at night.
Nothing to be afraid of but compared to the class of hotel they put in that neighborhood it could be a drawback.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

I was concerned about that area. Can you suggest a similar type hotel in a better area?
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 06:41 AM

Sorry, but as I live in this city I have no real clue about the hotels themselves.
If you look at the top tier of hotels, most seem to prefer those directly in the old town like the Mandarin Oriental (or the less pricey Cortiina) or along Maximilanstraße like the Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski.
But as I said, I can't say anything about the hotels themselves, unfortunately.
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 06:26 PM

We really enjoyed the Hotel Torbraeu, just inside the city walls by the Isartor and very well-situated for exploring the city.
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 06:37 PM

I second the Hotel Torbraeu. It is so comfortable and well located for public transport, the market, the town hall. You can walk to museums and restaurants. I imagine this would be lovely in the season before Christmas too. Great staff and breakfast too! Charming, lots of nice atmosphere!!
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 06:58 PM

Another vote for the Hotel Torbrau. The Hotel Excelsior and the Koenigshof might work for you too. They are on the other side of the central city from the Torbrau, but still excellent location. The Hotel Excelsior has a lovely Bavarian style and will have a very authentic Christmas feeling to it. Christmas is spectacular and magical in Germany.... Do visit the Christmas markets and sip Gluehwein.
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 08:00 PM

The two nicest hotels in Munich are The Charles and the Mandarin Oriental. You can get complimentary amenities at both by reserving with a Virtuoso travel consultant. Although this goes against the conventional wisdom at Fodors, it should cost you exactly the same as if you booked online. Just google "Virtuoso travel consultant" to find one - and just choose one who doesn't charge a booking fee.

At The Charles, you'd get:

Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
Daily Full breakfast for up to two in-room guests, served in the restaurant
85 EUR Food & Beverage credit, once during stay (not combinable, not valid towards room rate, no cash value if not redeemed)
Early check-in and late check-out, subject to availability

At the Mandarin Oriental, you'd get:

Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
Daily buffet breakfast for up to two in-room guests, in restaurant (included in rates)
2 Course Lunch for two once during stay (excluding beverages) our restaurant MO
Complimentary mini bar with soft drinks, beer and chocolate bars refilled daily
Fruit basket on arrival
Daily newspaper
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 03:48 PM

What is your hotel budget and howmany stars? We have several favorites near the train station because it is close to he trains station and to the pedestrian zone.