Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   overnight fdrom Venice to Milan (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/overnight-fdrom-venice-to-milan-485651/)

damama Nov 11th, 2004 06:46 PM

overnight fdrom Venice to Milan

Before you tell me to try Trenitalia, I have and I can't find the info. As computer savy as I am, it just isn't givimg me any answers to the question...is there an overnigt train from Venice to Milan that would get me to Milan early enough to transfer to a 10:40 am plane? I am trying to avoid the 6:40 flight out of Venice and thought this might be a reasonable alternative to paying for a hotel that I leace at 4 am.

travelphile Nov 11th, 2004 06:52 PM

There's no real research to this, but the distance isn't long enough for an overnight train. We drove that route in right around 3 hours (?), I know less than 4, so I don't think you'd find a train to help your schedule.

good luck!

Traveler863 Nov 11th, 2004 06:52 PM

Eh you're trying to save a nasty situation (6:40 flight) with another nasty sitation (overnight train, then presumably transatlantic flight?). I'd look into flying to Milan the night before, get a hotel and relax.

Eloise Nov 11th, 2004 07:01 PM

There is no direct overnight train from Venice to Milan. And I didn't get this from Trenitalia but from the Web sites of Deutsche Bahn (German rail system) and SBB (Swiss rail system). Every possibility requires a change of train in the middle of the night, and sometimes the time between trains is longer than an hour.

I would suggest that you take the suggestion from someone in your other thread to sleep in Mestre the last night.

damama Nov 11th, 2004 07:17 PM

I think that is probably the best idea, to spend the night in Mestre. Thanks

TopMan Nov 12th, 2004 02:30 AM

I would NOT "sleep in Maestre" because if you do that means you have to get up super early and get the earliest train which gets you into Milan, at what time?

I would take a train the afternoon/evening before and stay near the airport or close enough so you don't have to be up at Oh Dark Thirty and can more or less TAKE YOUR TIME getting to the airport.

LoveItaly Nov 12th, 2004 06:17 AM

I think, if I am reading the post correctly (but only on my first cup of coffee so who knows) that damama can either take the flight from Venice which is 6:40am (flights out of Venice are so early, it is terrible) which if this is the case than a hotel in Mestre would be the way to go. Or just set your alarm real early and leave your Venice hotel half asleep as you wave goodby. Many travelers do this. I have to drive (well actually I am driven) about 45 minutes to the Venice airport for the six something a.m. flight and I hate it. But not enough to not make the trip.

Or if the Milan flight at 10:40 am is more appealing than take the train to Milan the day before. I know that there was a thread a few weeks ago here that gave info on a hotel right near Milpensa airport (Milan) which is no doubt the airport you would be flying from. Hotel sounded good with free shuttle to airport.

Ah, the joys of traveling!! Do have a wonderful trip.

ira Nov 12th, 2004 06:36 AM

Hi dam,

I suggest that you take the train to Milan the day before and overnight in Milan.

GAC Nov 12th, 2004 06:53 AM

Would you consider taking the 4:20 Alilaguna water bus from Venice-Zattere or Venice-San Marco direct to Venice Marco Polo Airport? That will give you about one hour to check in and board the plane.

www.alilaguna.it

suze Nov 12th, 2004 08:03 AM

The train is only ~3-1/2 hours Venice to Milan. I'd take it late in the afternoon the day before and overnight in Milan somewhere with reasonable access to the airport. My guess is there wouldn't be an overnight train on this route because it's so short, but I could be wrong.

Or just face leaving Venice, the crack of (before) dawn. Seems like many people are forced to do this flying out of Venice.