Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Overnight Brussels or spend night before leaving Belgium in Bruges?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our flight to the US will leave Brussels 11am. Will spend the previous two nights in Bruges. What time would we have to catch a train out of Bruges to get to the airport in time to make an 11am flt?
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 05:24 PM

Early. The train is only one hour to Brussels from Bruge. But then you have to change to get to the airport. You need to be at checkin 2 hours before.

I've done Antwerp to BRU to catch a Thalys train, but last month chose to spend the night in Brussels before catching a 10:45am flight out of BRU. No regrets.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 01:14 AM

International check-in at Brussels airport is actually only 90 minutes beforehand, or so they always tell me, but 2 hours is a good idea.
You could stay overnight in Brugge, but you would have to catch a morning train about 7 am. It depends on a) how much you'd like to spend that last night in Brugge and b) how willing you are to catch an early morning train.
The train station in Brugge is very easy to navigate (in case you haven't been there before). Take the train two stops, to Brussels Midi/Zuid (your first stop would be Ghent), where the airport train originates (gives you first choice of seats).
If you opt to stay in Brussels you have a few choices. Stay at the airport (best bet is the airport Sheraton, which really is AT the airport). Stay in town and catch a cab (about 30 euros) to the airport or take the train. If you happen to stay in the EU area (there are several hotels there that have great rates on week-ends), then you can either take a cab OR the number 12 airport express bus (3 euros, takes about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic; it's designed for travelers and has luggage racks, unlike regular buses).
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 04:04 AM

I experienced a specific reason to err on the safe side with BRU. There is a special "ghetto" at the end of the B concourse for US carrier flights to the US. [The airlines I heard being announced in the "ghetto" were American, Delta, Continental and I assume United.] It is a long walk and then there is a very thorough search of your hand luggage and a public, rather intimate, frisking. It is thorough and quite time consuming. This is in addition to check-in security and the usual security to getto the gates. Also once past that security there is only a coke and a snack machine -- no snack bar or coffee. I've always enjoyed the ease of BRU compared to CDG -- but being treated as a penned up pariah and having a woman run her hands over my breasts in public is not on my "A list."
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 02:35 PM

No one wants to trash me?
You guys are slipping