Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Over the Moon with hotel bargain in Paris for Tour de France Finale`!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2009, 08:19 AM
tod
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes indeed! This is the 3rd time we have booked The Ibis Esplanade La Defense and this year it has been the cheapest rate yet! In the past our double/twin en-suite has cost us 49euros a night. Today I booked 4 nights (Thursday-till Monday morning) at 44 euros!
In terms of our other reservations we are looking at:
176 euros for 4 nights @ The Ibis- against
365 euros for 2 nights @ The Relais Bosquet Eiffel
and 7 nights in an apartment @100 euros a night.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out that if you are on a tight budget, there are fabulously inexpensive hotels with HUGE backup in the complaints department,(no piddly one man show owner here!)
This hotel will be considered not for 1st timers because it's nose is not up against Notre Dame or the Eiffel Tower. BUT, for 2nd/3rd/or 10th timers to Paris - you can't beat staying at the top of the hill with a view of the Arc de Triomphe AND the Tour de Eiffel all in the same view as you exit the metro!? And what about the view from your room? The beautifull tranquille flowing River Seine!
And as they say in the commercials "And...that's not all!- The metro from Esplanade La Defense whisks you right onto the Champs Elysees in 10 or so minutes.

This reservation is the ultimate (for us anyway) to be only minutes away from the action on the Champs Elysees for the finale` of The Tour de France! Viva Le Tour!
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 10:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
tod, what a steal.

I loved watching the tour on the telly this year and am a big cav fan.

sadly no chance of my joining you on the champs elysees in 2010 but I'll be with you in spirit.
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 10:48 AM

That's really amazing they have those cheap rates during the Tour. I can understand that a business hotel may have deals during weekends or summer (lots of Paris hotels do in summer, actually), but during the Tour, it's kind of surprising as lots of folks wouldn't mind staying out there.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 02:22 AM
tod
Original Poster

Yes I was amazed too! I thought we had a baragin 3 yrs ago @49euros, then around Sept/Oct I saw the price drop to 48.30euros - now only 44!
I deeply suspect the prices are linked to the stock market.
Also, this price is for advanced booking only and cannot be cancelled or changed in anyway.

Christina - Most folks think it's sooooooo far away from all the action. I reckon with the direct metro to all stops on the Champs Elysees it may be quicker than getting the metro closer and having to change lines in a lot of cases.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 09:22 AM

tod - that's a very good point.

so good in fact that if and when we visit Paris, again, I may well look at the rates that the Ibis is offering. the only problem is that we tend to travel to cities in the winter, and I like being able to wander around the neighbourhood where I am staying at night.

Not sure that this would be a good area for doing that!

regards, ann
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 11:39 AM

We have stayed at the Ibis near Bastille. It is quite easy to waslk around there.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 12:08 PM

Tod, could you post a link, I checked their website and got 170 Euro per night rate!!
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Cool!

We really enjoyed watching the Tour live. When I finally post the trip report (you know, after Xmas cards go out and I finish Dad's trip report...) I'll let you know. Lotta photos!
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 02:23 AM
tod
Original Poster

avalon - It takes a bit of "going round the houses" but eventually I found what I was looking for - the part where you click on the hotel ie:Ibis Esplanade La Defense where is gives the option (right down at the bottom of the page) for "Happy 20" - Click on that and you should be able to follow until all the hotels come up. You will see the La Defense Ibis's rate at 44euros. Carry on from there following the prompts.
Let me know if you come right?!
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 04:42 AM
tod
Original Poster

annhig - I know what you mean. Dinner at a nearby restaurant then a stroll around the block before hitting the hay!
Above the Esplanade La Defense metro station it would probably be too cold in winter months to sit alongside the large water feature which ajoins the vineyards and the view down to the Arc de Triomphe and Eiffel Tower.
In summer it is fantastic! There are benches all along this very wide waterscape (for the office workers I imagine)and even long steps which are clean enough to sit on.

Should we decide it's too early for bed a onestop metro ride to La Grande Arc in La Defense grants us another awesome view over Paris. It's vastness is a wonderful relief from the shoulder to shoulder rubbing experienced around Notre Dame, Blvd St Germain etc.

On Saturday & Sunday mornings I gaze out of the window watching the metro arriving and departing and a few vehicles on the road. But come Monday morning the entire scene is like an anthill! The beauty is, you can't hear a thing - the glazing on those windows prevents one hearing even the slightest noise.

Maybe you should give it a try at a weekend - only 3 nights to see if the pros outweigh the cons!
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 06:54 AM

good idea tod - the trouble is finding the time, sadly.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 03:30 AM
tod
Original Poster

Topping for Avalon