Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Outrageously cheap business fares on Alitalia! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/outrageously-cheap-business-fares-on-alitalia-605282/)

AAFrequentFlyer Apr 5th, 2006 06:20 AM

Outrageously cheap business fares on Alitalia!

Unfortunately it's only between Toronto and Cyprus, but a stopover is allowed in either Rome or Milan, so basically you could do Cyprus just for 1 night before or after Italy. The final cost in business class - are you ready? between $164 - $194 ALL IN, plus paper ticket charges from your favorite travel site. All kindsof dates available including summer and 2007. I believe you can't outbound on Wednesday and can't return on Sunday (I'm not sure about the inbound). Hurry!

Here is mine res:

$33 + $131 taxes & fees = $164 per person

Choose flight 1
Flight 1
Tue, Dec 5 American Airlines 4771
operated by American Eagle
Depart: 6:10pm
Arrive: 7:53pm Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
New York, NY (JFK)

1 stop Economy 1hr 43min Embraer RJ135 View seats

Change Airline. Time between flights: 1hr 27min

Alitalia 611
Depart: 9:20pm
Arrive: 11:40am New York, NY (JFK)
Rome, Italy (FCO)

Business 8hr 20min Boeing 767
Total duration: 11hr 30min

This is an overnight flight.

Choose flight 2
Flight 2
Mon, Dec 11 Alitalia 7700
operated by Cyprus Airways -- CY 0317
Depart: 12:30pm
Arrive: 4:30pm Rome, Italy (FCO)
Larnaca, Cyprus (LCA)

Non-stop Business 3hr 0min Airbus A320

Choose flight 3
Flight 3
Tue, Dec 12 Alitalia 7707
operated by Cyprus Airways -- CY 0412
Depart: 9:40am
Arrive: 12:35pm Larnaca, Cyprus (LCA)
Milan, Italy (MXP)

1 stop Business 3hr 55min Airbus A320

Change planes. Time between flights: 22hr 5min

Alitalia 652
Depart: 10:40am
Arrive: 2:05pm Milan, Italy (MXP)
Toronto, Canada (YYZ)

Business 9hr 25min Boeing 767
Total duration: 35hr 25min

This is an overnight flight.

Select $33 + $131 taxes & fees = $164 per person

Good luck!

rex Apr 5th, 2006 06:42 AM

How, how, how? This is the kind of post that (typically) leads me to ask no further questions - - just get to their website and get some dates booked. Don't have to think about it.

But the website says that YYZ-LCA cannot be booked online. Did you have to call them? Did you have to say that you are from Canada asks for country of origin when you first go on to he website). Surely, this ticket cannot be purchased by talking to a live operator. Must be a mistake.

Which I would have no ethical qualms about pourchasing, if you can tell me how!

Eagerly awaiting your reply.

Best wishes,

Rex

AAFrequentFlyer Apr 5th, 2006 06:47 AM

I just did it on Orbitz.com

I did a multi-city with a stopover in Rome.

There is a lot of flying involved, so be ready.

You may have to play with dates.

Good luck!

tcreath Apr 5th, 2006 06:47 AM

I too am very interested. I tried to pull up the same itinerary online that was posted above, but it said that the itinerary cannot be purchased online.

Tracy

AAFrequentFlyer Apr 5th, 2006 06:50 AM

Maybe they caught on? I did mine about an hour ago. It was posted on Flyeralk sometime very early this morning and at least 100 or so regulars bought many and multiple dated tickets. It's possible that the fare is getting pulled. Sorry I was to late reporting it if that's the case.

Good luck!

AAFrequentFlyer Apr 5th, 2006 06:57 AM

It looks like it was pulled. This is the message I got when pricing the same itn:

<b>We're sorry, but due to changes in airline availability, the fare for your selected trip is no longer available. We have adjusted the fares for all affected itineraries. The fare for your selected trip is now $2779 total. See below.</b>

tcreath Apr 5th, 2006 06:58 AM

Probably for the better anyways, as I just got back from Italy and am off to Croatia in November. But congrats for getting such an awesome deal!

rex Apr 5th, 2006 07:02 AM

Oh my god. I am on the phone with them, and they are quoting it as good - - but she wants to talk to the manager... waiting with baited breath for an answer...

Are they honoring your purchase?

tcreath Apr 5th, 2006 07:07 AM

Seriously?! Definitely give us an update! To heck with Croatia...if I can get to Europe on business class tickets for under $200 I'm getting the credit card out!

rex Apr 5th, 2006 07:19 AM

I got them!

Sep 29 to Oct 7 (mandatory stopover on return in Milan, with MXP-YYZ on Oct 8)

Wow.

And yes, business class. $207 CAD per person, all in.

tcreath Apr 5th, 2006 07:23 AM

Rex, congrats! Did you call Alitalia or Orbitz to book your tickets? Did you have to ask for anything special or did you just give the dates you wanted?

AAFrequentFlyer Apr 5th, 2006 07:26 AM

Congrats Rex, and good luck to everybody else!

See Ya guys later!

grantop Apr 5th, 2006 07:44 AM

Super deal! Kudos to all who jumped in and booked!

rex Apr 5th, 2006 07:48 AM

I caled Alitalia - - in fact, that is an interal part of my not having ethical qualms about the purchase. It was a lie operator, and as I indicated above, she put me on hold, for quite a while to &quot;check with a supervisor&quot;.

It feels like taking candy from a baby, but what the heck, I didn't put a gun to their heads!

Calling my son-in-law's parents right now, to see if they want to go with us!

tcreath Apr 5th, 2006 07:53 AM

So then you just called and gave them the dates and the operator gave you the price and that was it? Wow...I have to call!

pmgoosed Apr 5th, 2006 08:10 AM

let me get this straight though...you still have to fly to toronto from the states to get this...correct?

rex Apr 5th, 2006 08:13 AM

Yes, to tcreath... and...

yes, to pmgoose... doesn't deter me at all. If necessary, I will drive. $200 for BUSINESS CLASS!

pmgoosed Apr 5th, 2006 08:15 AM

Yeah...just dont know how getting from Beantown to Toronto would work out.

beanweb24 Apr 5th, 2006 08:21 AM

I am so cursing the fact that I have already planned for -- and purchased -- all the travel and tickets I can do in 2006. Surely there must be a way for me to take off leave without pay. Sigh... CONGRATS.

DRJ Apr 5th, 2006 08:33 AM

This fare is still available.

REX: How do you arrange to spend a couple of days on Cyprus and ten or so days in Milan? I've talked with Orbitz people and have tried to rearrange the backend of the trip and the fare for two jumps to $7,000. HELP!