Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Our Turkey photos (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/our-turkey-photos-541865/)

Jenni_P Jul 5th, 2005 05:46 PM

Our Turkey photos

Well, we just got back from Turkey a couple of weeks ago and had an incredible time. We covered a lot of ground in 2 weeks - but it was incredible to see the country. Our favorite was the Cappadocia area and I was so glad we had 4 full days there.

Check out our pictures on: http://www.davepowells.com/

select Vacation/Trips >> 2005 >> Turkey

Barb_in_Ga Jul 5th, 2005 06:20 PM

Your photos are awesome! Thanks for sharing.

We are going to Turkey in mid September, and will be staying in Istanbul for 5/6 days, then to the coast near Ephesus, but we haven't decided yet where to stay. We're leaning towards one of the resorts at Kusadasi, just to have some R&R and winding down time.

Please share the details of your trip--I know there are several Fodorites still planning trips there this year.

Jenni_P Jul 5th, 2005 07:39 PM

In Istanbul, definitely stay in the old part of town (Sultanahmet area). We stayed at the Mavi Ev (Blue House) Hotel - which was great for its location (www.bluehouse.com.tr)

We only passed through Kusadasi and stayed in Selcuk when visiting Ephesus. Kusadasi seemed to be like a Miami Beach but worse - very built up. Plus, everything we heard, its just a cruise ship stop and not worth going to. If you are planning on going to Ephesus only, you could stay in Bodrum only 2.5 hrs from there and maybe spend a night in Selcuk but then still have beach.

sdaniels Jul 6th, 2005 06:06 AM

Wonderful - Thanks. I also enjoyed looking at some of your other trips. What did you do in Cappadocia during your 4 days, where did you stay, etc? How long were you in Istanbul?

helen63 Jul 6th, 2005 10:44 AM

Your pics are great! I also enjoyed your other trips pictures.
There were a few interesting pics from Dalyman - I never heard about this place. Is it like mud bath there?

Jenni_P Jul 6th, 2005 09:21 PM

We stayed only 3 days in Istanbul and actually took a flight in the evening on our 3rd day to Cappadocia which worked out well for us.

In Cappadocia, we stayed at the Esbelli Evi in Urgup and really liked it. We rented a car while we were in Cappadocia. I was mistaken, we spent 4 nights and 3 days, although you could easily spend more time. I also thought Goreme was really cute and would have like staying there as well. In Cappadocia...
Day 1: we did a balloon ride (really awesome experience), Goreme Open Air museum, Zelve open air museum (we loved this one better than Goreme - no frescos but really awesome and less tourists)
Day 2: Soglani Valley, Derinkuyu underground city, Kaymakli underground city (we liked this one better). The underground cities are only maybe 15km apart, so it is easy to do them both in a day but I would recommend Kaymakli and getting a guide when you get there.
Day 3: Ilahara Valley (lots of tourists at the first five churches), Selime (this was our favorite on the trip - we hired a guy there, no one there but us, and climbed all around - awesome!), then drove to Guzelyurt (we didnt spend too much time here - didnt seem like that much to see)

Dalyman was interesting. Yes, they are mud baths and then afterwards you rinse off and can jump in the thermal spring. Lots of people there - but kind of fun. The town is also cute, so we could have spent a little more time there than 1/2 day.

Marsh Jul 12th, 2005 03:06 PM

Your pictures from Turkey are really nice! What camera did you use? If it is digital, did you use a portable storage device?

Thanks!

Jenni_P Jul 12th, 2005 11:11 PM

We used a small point and shoot digital camera - Sony Cybershot DSC-P100 5.1 megapixel (although we only used 3 mp since you only need more if you are blowing up bigger than 8x10. No we didnt use a storage device - we just bought lots of memory sticks.

AP6380 Jul 13th, 2005 03:32 AM

Great pics! I notice inside the Blue Mosque & the Aya Sofya you were able to get clear pic, did you use your flash or another setting? I tried using the night setting (I have the same camera) and find unless you are absolutely still, the pic comes out blurry. Do you have the 3.2 megapixel Cyber-shot?