Reload this Page >

Our Proposed Itinerary for Sicily/Italy in March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 10:29 PM
E

<BR><BR>After much debate and speculation, here is an itinerary that we've come up with for our trip in March to Sicily and Italy. Please please, any suggestions are welcome.<BR><BR>Day 1 - arrive in Roma; fly to Catania, Sicily, pick up rental car and drive to Taormina<BR>Day 2 - tour Taormina and Mt Etna<BR>Day 3 - Drive to Siracusa, Visit ruins on Ortyia Island and tour Siracusa.<BR>Day 4 - leave Siracusa and drive to Agrigento, stopping at Piazza Aremenia (sp?) and tour either Agrigento or Valley of the Temples depending on time.<BR>Day 5 - Tour whatever wasn't toured the day before (Agrigento or Valley of the Temples) Leave for Palmero stopping in town with family relations.<BR>Day 6 - Tour Palmero (probably will try to get a guided tour because of time constraint); try to make it to Cefula for dinner that night.<BR>Day 7 - fly out of Palmero to Rome for next day's Papal audience.<BR>Day 8 - From Rome, rent car, drive down to Salerno to drive Amalfi coastline. Stay in Amalfi or Positano.<BR>Day 9 - tour amalfi coastline cities.<BR>Day 10 - leave amalfi coast and head towards Florence. (drop off car in Florence.)<BR>Day 11 - tour Florence<BR>Day 12 - tour Flroence; take train for Rome.<BR>Day 13 - tour Rome<BR>Day 14 - tour Rome; relax; pack; cry; sleep it off!!<BR>Day 15 - come back to reality!!!

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 01:47 AM
Lori

Definitely not enough time for the Amalfi Coast unless you've been there before. If it were me, I'd take Florence out of the trip and spend the extra days between Rome and the coast.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 04:30 AM
ttt

<BR>To the top!

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 05:08 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I agree---nice trip if you skip Florence

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Ed

Skip Florence? Perhaps you should visit Las Vegas rather than Italy.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 07:06 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 12:07 PM
c

TTT

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Gabriel

Estimado Ernie<BR><BR>Estoy planeando un viaje parecido al que vos relizaste con mi hijo de 15 anos y un amigo con su hijo.<BR>Me gustaria saber si podes darme mas detalles de alojamiento ,distancias, y demas detalles.<BR><BR>Saludos y gracias<BR>Gabriel

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Kay

I think you will really want more time in Taormina. It is fabulous and it takes a 1/2 day to tour Mt. Etna (I did it in May) Don't miss Piazza Armerina, the mosaics are incredible, this may take you 1-2 hrs. depending on the crowds. The Valley of the Temples is beautiful right before sunset. I would plan an extra day in Taormina rather than an extra day in Agrigento. We were able to drive from Taormina, visit the mosaics at Villa Casale, and walk the Valley of the Temples with time to spare in one day. Agrigento isn't nearly as interesting as Taormina, but perhaps you have been before. I would definitely want to stay another day on the Amalfi Coast too. I would leave out Florence this trip too. Have a great trip whatever you decide.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 08:14 PM
Sicily lover

Agreed on Taormina, spend a say there. Agrigento is nothing special, although make sure to go to the Valley of the temples. Also, try to stay at Villa Athena with a view of the temples (book this early). <BR><BR>I would not skip the Aeiaon islands. They are truely unbelievable and beautiful. <BR><BR>Have fun

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:37 AM
E

<BR><BR>Thanks so much for your advice. I'll let you all know how things go.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 06:56 PM
TTT

TTT

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Norinuccia

Hey, E,<BR> People appear to have missed this part of your message: <BR>Day 5 - Tour whatever wasn't toured the day before (Agrigento or Valley of the Temples) Leave for Palmero stopping in town with family relations.<BR>Day 6 - Tour Palmero (probably will try to get a guided tour because of time constraint); try to make it to Cefula for dinner that night.<BR><BR><BR>You have only left about 24 hours to see family in Sicily? Do you know them already? Do you like them? Because if it were MY relatives, they'd be insulted. <BR>Just curious. You probably have good reasons for the short stay. I only mention this because when I tell people in the U.S. that I'm visiting relatives in Sicily for two weeks, they say "How nice! A nice long visit!" But when I tell my relatives, they say, "Only TWO WEEKS?"

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Maria

You with a doubt need more time in Taormina. We stayed 2 nights, and it was stilled rushed. Also, the Amalfi coast needs more nights. While you are in Amalfi, you should also see Positano, Capri and Ravello.