Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Our Naples Experience (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/our-naples-experience-314601/)

donnae_b Mar 1st, 2008 08:29 PM

Our Naples Experience

Hi Fodorites! Half the fun of going on a trip is planning it, next is going there. We never made it to Capri or Pompeii, arrived in Naples much later than we expected then spent the next full day walking around the city center, eating Baba and pizza (the pizza is not what we expected), drinking natalie coffee, walking up the Spaccanapoli and into the fish market area. Walked up and down streets. We noticed how everyone was very busy, people were walking, driving, scooters and buses were everywhere. Most people wore sun glasses.
On our way to the bay we ran into a large organized union protest with lots of flags and singing. The group was peacefully being led by the Poliza. Next we walked to the Castle Nuveo and then by sunset we were at the bay of Naples with our bottle of wine and at night we went to a restaurant on the same nice incredible street as the Da Michele. A very nice italian restaurant, we ate at an outside table which gave us a chance to enjoy ourselves and the interesting people in Naples.
After dinner we walked along with many other people around the streets.
We are very glad that we had the opportunity to experience Naples.

thursdaysd Mar 1st, 2008 08:54 PM

donnae - what was the trash situation like? I'm supposed to be staying in Naples the second week of April, and I'm wondering if I should plan to stay somewhere else.

LoveItaly Mar 1st, 2008 09:38 PM

Hello donnae, is my memory correct. At first you thought you would also try to visit Capri and Pompeii? Anyway, how wonderful that you really enjoyed Naples. I have always also although it has been too long since I have been back there. Your time in Naples sounds wonderful. I loved your comment "we noticed how everyone was very busy.." lol, isn't that the truth about Naples. A very active and vibrant city for sure! Thanks for sharing your experience, it was enjoyable reading your trip report.

ira Mar 2nd, 2008 09:55 AM

Thanks for sharing, d

((I))

jdraper Mar 2nd, 2008 10:29 AM

donnae: We will be going to Naples in May so thank you very much for your report. Do you remember the name of the restaurant you ate at and what you had?
Thank you for sharing. J

Waldo Mar 2nd, 2008 12:39 PM

I've been saying for years that Naples continually gets a bad rap, especially by people who have never been there. I've been going to Napoli for many years, sometimes twice a year, and I love it. Outside of Paris, I think I could live there forever, especially near Piazza Amadeus.

donnae_b Mar 3rd, 2008 03:45 PM

Hi J, I went over my notes from our trip and realized that it was right next to Brandy's that we ate. I did not write the name of the resturant down. Get to Brandy's and walk 'up' the block, it is the resturant right across from the grocery market with outside seating. If you make it there I know you will enjoy it.

jjkbrook Mar 3rd, 2008 05:47 PM

So glad to see your report - I dont think Ive been anywhere since my first visit to Rome many years ago that made such an impression on me as Naples. Its a truly wonderful place with great soul and spirit.

thanks!