Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Our June Greece Itinerary--Suggestions please!

Old Nov 17th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have finally settled on dates and a basic itinerary for our June trip to Greece. Spent a lot of time in Europe, but this is our first time in Greece. Our dates are June 14-24. I'd like help in shaping our itinerary since this is our first time in the country. We're thinking we'd like to spend a couple of days in Athens, then off to another destination for a couple of days then out to an island for the remainder of the time before heading back to Athens for our return flight home to the US. So far this is what we've come up with--please critque:

June 14 Flight
June 15 Arrive Athens, wander, rest
June 16 Athens
June 17 Athens
June 18 Head to Nafplio (car or bus? would rather not drive!)
June 19 Nafplio (explore surrounding area, maybe Mycenae or Epidaurus? Can we do this by bus or do we have to have a car?)
June 20 Transit to Santorini (back to Athens for flight to Santorini, or is there a better way direct from Nafplio?)
June 21 Santorini
June 22 Santorini
June 23 Flight for overnight in Athens
June 24 Fly back to US

How does this look? We wanted to experience another place in Greece besides Athens and an island, and Nafplio seems like a good option. Is the town itself worth the time, or is just really a base for seeing the sights of the surrounding area? I'd also love hotel recs for Athens, Nafplio and Santorini (anything $300 and under). Will the weather be really hot by this point? Right now fares from LAX to Athens are around the $1500 mark. Is that high or is that what we should expect to pay?

Thanks for the help!
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Looks fine to me. You can't get to Santorini from Nafplio, flying from Athens is the shortest timewise. Check with http://www.aegean-air.gr/aegeanen/home/ for discounted fares.

For nightlife on Santorini you'll want to find a place in either Fira or Firostefani. Blue Dolphins Apartments are a bargain. If nightlife isn't a requirement stay in the most beautiful village of Oia. Delfini Hotel is a good bargain.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 06:20 AM

I have taken the bus from Athens to Sparta and I would think there is probably a direct bus to Naplio but at worse you may have to switch buses. Driving to and from Naplio is easy as it is nearly 100% on multi lane highway. The only scary part is Athens. Hotel Byron located in the old town of Naplio is a nice little hotel within walking distance of everything. There are side streets by the hotel for parking a car. If Santorini is not a must you can explore other options. For ex. you could take a ferry from Pireus to Hydra and then to Spetses and then it is a short hop to the mainland and bus to Naplio. I have done that route. From Naplio you can get to Gythio, Moumavassia and even to the great little island of Elafonissos near Neapoli. This is a difficult change in plans when it is a first trip to Greece as Santorini is a beautiful island.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 07:44 AM

If you do choose to rent a car you could avoid having to drive in Athens by picking up the car at the airport and driving to Nafplio first, then returning the car to the airport and taking the bus or Metro into Athens for that segment of your holiday.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 02:35 PM

There IS a direct bus to Nafplio from Bus Station A -- go to the window marked Argolid (the province). It goes every hour on the half-hour...takes 2.5 hours, after u get out of metro area it can be lovely -- after the canal views of Gulf and orange groves. Is quite fast except rush hour Fr & Sunday, and I thinkyou go Mon.
You can rent car reasonably in Nafplio to do your "ruin-a-thon" in a day (Mycenae first, then a peek at Tiryns, end at Epidaurus, maybe even swim in nearby bay). Local cars are cheapest for just a 1-day, but if you want to drive back, follow Lee's advice and rent from a place that will let you drop it at airport when u go to Santorini.

Just a thought: why not head out to Nafplio Sat, June 16, bump everything back a couple of days and do your whole Athens thing at the end? The Athens sites/sights really do mean more after you've 'worked up to them' by being immersed in the culture awhile...Especially the Arch. Museum and the FOrum. And that way, if you experience a little delay for any reason, it's not crucial - you have your time cushion at the end.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 02:46 PM

I really enjoy Naphlion so I applaud your decision to go. However we have found the Naphlion is so close to Athens that many Athenians visit on the weekends. As such if you decide to take TravellorJans advice I would arrive on a Sunday or a weekday but not a Friday or Sat as it has been crowded on the weekends.
I have pictures of Naphlion at webshots.com go to community look up a member and put in lollypeter100. You will see why we love Naphlion so much.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Thank you travelerjan for mentioning Tyrins.

Not so many people visit but I think it is very good to see and only a small jounrey from Nafplio and is a UNESCO sight. I went there first time when a student in Athens and many other times too. I prefer it more than Mycenae.

thanos
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 03:16 AM

I totally agree with Thanos about Tiryns (now Tirintha) – about 15 mins on local bus from Nafplio. In the opposite direction there's another great site – ancient Asine. There's a low hill with the remains of a Bronze Age acropolis and medieval fortress. You can wander about on the paths – great views, and a big plus in June is that you can swim beneath the ancient ruins. There's a long beach with tiny stones, which won't be crowded, and the water is marvellous – I had my first swim of the year there at exactly the same time this year, and I don't usually swim till at least July, when the water has warmed up! On the other side of the site there's a lovely, tiny beach (but it's stony), and a really nice fish taverna overlooking the sea. You take the bus to Tolo, but get off once you've gone through the modern village of Asine, before you reach Tolo itself. The big sandy beach there is more touristy (though probably not quite so much in June). Nafplio is beautiful! (As Travellerjan suggests, it's a good idea to save your time in Athens for the end of your trip, especially if you're planning to see the Nat. Arch Museum, as so many of the finds from Mycenae are there.)
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 05:46 AM

Not much in Athens (Acropolis, a few museums). Santorini is scenic but not much else. How about flying to London which should be cheaper, then a 10 day tour of ancient Greece with everything sorted out for you?:

http://www.archersdirect.co.uk/conte...87/13/0/1/1/12

I did it some years ago. It's a good tour. June 14 flight from LAX to London is about £600 (about $1136) with:

http://www.opodo.co.uk/

who pick fares from 500 of the world's airlines. You would need a day in London at either end in case of unexpected flight delays.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 03:10 AM

For Nafplio I suggest you try the Latini Family hotel.

It's a very nice owner-run hote, recently renovated, and you can book online through their website: http://www.latinihotel.gr

I also recommend a day's sailing with Captain Aris - http://www.captainaris.com - an unforgettable experience!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:36 AM

I can't beleive that I missed this thread!

We are planning a VERY similar trip, with one more day than you (and we are going in May). We chose to put Santorini in the middle, it seems to work well.

1 Arrive Athens
2 Athens
3 Athens
4 fly to Santorini
5 Santorini
6 Santorini
7 Fly back to Athens and to Nafplio
8 Nafplio
9 Nafplio
10 Back to Athens for a final night at the airport
11 early departure home

We are still trying to decide if we should bus to and from Nafplio and get a car for the day there, or pick up and drop a car at the airport. I am leaning towards having a car for the whole time. I am currently researching hotels myself, but with a lower budget. 130Euros max on Santorini, and I'd like to be well under 100Euros for Nafplio.

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:48 AM

On Santorini check out the Blue Dolphins Apartments in Firostefani, Delfini Hotel, Studios Margarita, Thea Studios and Olympic Villas, all in Oia.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Thanks Brotherleelove! I think we have decided on Oia. So far I have been looking at Delfini which looks like a great option. I am amazed by the variation in the price of their rooms. Are you familiar with the different room options? The basic double rooms are very affordable.

I also took a look at Lava Oia which looks great, but is stretching the budget. I will do some research into your other recommendations!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Napflio was one of our favorite places in Greece. Besides being within access to amazing antiquities, the small city(10,000 pop) is wonderful with many nice dining options and a beautiful palm tree lined seaside promenade.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 03:01 PM

I'm only familiar with them in a general sense, not from any experience. If you want a private balcony or a kitchen you'll be paying more. I agree, some of the rooms are very affordable.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Sally
The drive to Naphlio is freeway most of the way and if you pick up the car at the airport you do not have to drive in Athens which is a blessing.
The car gives you the ability to visit sites around Naphlio including Ancient Corinth and Ancient Nemea ( a little known site but once a rival location to Olympus and well worth the visit) just off the National Road, Ancient Tierns just outside of Naphlio, Ephadaris and Mycenae, all of which are easily accessable by car.

At Naphlio we stayed at Pension Elaini for 45 euros on a walk up basis. A delightful pension situated about 50 meters fron the parking lot outside the main entrance to the Acronauplia fortress hotel.
Two years ago in May we stayed at Hotel Illion suites again on a walk up basis. We got this fabulous suite for 50 euros but I couldn't get it for less than 100 this last May. For location and view it really is unbeatable.

On the other hand the extra 55 euros I saved by staying at Elaini went a long way to pay for dinner and sightseeing.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the hotel suggestions in Nafplio - I too would rather save a bit on hotels to have more to spend on other things! I'll check out your recommendations!