Our Greece itinerary: Any suggestions

Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:17 PM
owl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our Greece itinerary: Any suggestions

Dear all,

Here it is: we're renting a car for the entire trip

Athens (5 nights at Grand Bretagne free with Starwood points)
Day 6 Athens – Dimitsana 2-2,5 hours: stay at Trikolonion Country Club (3 nights)
7 Daytrip to Olympos - 1,5 hours each way
8 relax
9 Dimitsana - Kardamyli - 2-2,5 hours Stay at Notos 3 nights
10 relax
11 relax
13 Kardamyli - Monemvasia - 2,5: stay at Artemis 2 nights
14 relax
15 Monemavasia - Nafplio would be 2,5-3 see Mistras on the way (stay at Amphitryon Hotel 3 nights)
16 half day to Mycenae
17 half day to epidarus
18 Athens - Nafplio - 2 hours--fly out of Athens
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:19 PM

I would give up a day or so in Athens and definitely spend a night or two in Santorini. Possibly the most stunning view I've ever seen.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:27 PM
owl
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I've already been to Santorini and Crete, so I'm not planning to go to any islands this time. We're keeping it simple since we have a baby in tow. Also, we're staying at the Grand Bretagne and it's the same number of points for four or five nights, so we figure we might as well stay five nights. Keep the replies coming! Thank you!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:20 PM

I just got back from Greece and drove these routes. I think you may be overly optomistic about your driving times. The Peloponese is very mountainous with many hairpins and potholes. I loved driving there, but be prepared for trips to take longer than you expect. You have to be paying attention all the time with the roads and the Greek drivers. Please remember to drive on the shoulder on the main highways and stay to the far right on other roads because the middle becomes a passing lane either way!!! It is really fun- just be careful. The road between Dimitsana and Steminitsa was washed out when I was there in March 2006. Have fun, all the places on your list are great!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:20 AM

The Trikolonion is in Stemnitsa, not Dimitsana, so if that road is washed out , you'll have to come through Chyrsovitsi from Tripoli, not looping north through Vytina. I haven't been there since end of January, so I don't know the state of the road of if it's open. Of course by now it should be fine.

By the way, the Trikolonion is a very nice hotel; Stemnitsa is perfect, don't miss the Lousios River paths and the site of Ancient Gortyn and the monasteries. You will have plenty of time in your three days/nights there to explore the area -- my favorite part of Greece! Don't miss Lykosoura, Lykaion Oros, or ancient Megalopoli either.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:21 AM

by the way if you want some ideas of stuff to do in/around Athens, let me know.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:02 AM
owl
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies so far. Xaroula, do you think I should try to stay 3 nights at Trikolonion instead of two? I could potentially stretch this part and cut out Monemavasia (or maybe extend my trip by one day). And do you think Trikolonion is the best place to stay in the mountains? Thank you!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:39 AM

Hi! You are doing pretty much the same route as we did for our honeymoon last Fall. You can check the following thread for more details. (P.S. Don't miss the Lousios gorge while in Stemnitsa!)
Thread is called : Back from the Peloponnese - A Trip Report!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:41 AM

By the way, we loved where we stayed at Demitsana : http://www.yourgreece.gr/page/defaul...44&ap=35&pk=36
The hostesses are really really nice and the breakfasts are DIVINE! (If you are extra nice to the cook, she'll even give you the recipe to her amazing loukoumades!)
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:39 AM

well it's not a cheap place to stay, but if you can afford it, it's very nice. There is also an excellent hotel in Vytina, I'll try to find the link for you. I prefer Stemnitsa to Vytina as a place to stay, by far, however. As for adding a day -- add the day to your trip total, if you can, and you don't need more than one night at Monemvasia.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:44 AM

well, the website is supposed to be www.artmainalon.gr but I can't get it to open, maybe you can. It tells me I'm unauthorized to view the page. It's the Art Mainalon Hotel in Vytina. Sorry about that!
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:10 PM
owl
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the suggestions. Maybe we should cut out Monemvasia . . . we'll think about it. Keep the replies coming!
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:07 PM

hi again,
I would keep Monemvasia if you possibly can. It's really unique! I am taking my students there this year and I'm really excited. It's just something special that you shouldn't miss if you're anywhere near the area.
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:23 PM

I agree with Xaroula, Monemavasia is outstanding. We spent two nights there last year. It was like stepping back into time into an ancient fortified town. Many Greeks vacation there and one has to ask oneself if the locals look at this location as something special, perhaps it should not be missed.
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:40 AM
owl
Original Poster

Okay--we'll keep Monemavasia. I'm now worried that we're excluding Delphi. Do you think we should include it and take out something else or is it okay that we're skipping it? I plan to go back in 10 years, so I suppose I could see it then? Advice? Does it really take 3 hours each way Athens-Delphi?
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Yes, you can do it.

But start with a reality check ;-) You can't see even the major sites in Greece in a month. Greece has more "aksiotheata" (Greek for "things worth seeing") than anyplace in the galaxy, in my personal opinion. You have to decide what is your style of traveling: hitting as many highlights as possible given the time constraints, or choosing a region and getting to know that region as well as possible given the time constraints.

I've done both, both have their advantages, ultimately I prefer to choose an area and get to know it well. The way you've set up your itinerary would fit this model. Yes Delphi is great, but so is Olympia, Vergina, Kefallonia, Samothraki, Zagaroxoria, etc etc.

Here's what you can do: you are going to be in Athens for 5 nights. If you take the first bus from Athens, you can see Delphi as a day-trip. (Or you can go with a day-trip tour, which would have a coach bus.) It does take a few hours; I got stuck in traffic once and the trip back to Athens took over four hours. This December I drove from Athens to Delphi in about 3 hours, no traffic.

You can see Delphi but you can't see everything! Don't be down on yourself if you can't see it all. I've been to Greece quite a few times -- including three separate trips in 2005 -- and I figure I've seen about 5%. It's okay: it will be there when I come back.

(By the way, I know you said you'll be back in 10 years, but keep an open mind... I know many who have said that, who now go back every year or two. Even when you think there aren't, there are ways to make it work. We're an adaptive species!)