Our first trip outside of the States

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I are planning a month long vacation to Ireland and Great Britain. What suggestions do y'all have for first time travelers out of the United States? Do we need special permission for a vacation of this length? What are must sees and those places we can go without seeing
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 05:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>What suggestions do y'all have for first time travelers out of the United States?<<

Suggestions for what . . . air travel, or budget, or anything in particular?

>>Do we need special permission for a vacation of this length?<<

What country are you from it makes a difference. American? - then no 'special'permission required.

>>What are must sees and those places we can go without seeing<<

OK-- I'll be gentle here You are talking about two countries that each have hundreds (thousands) of things to see/do. That is sort of like asking "<i>We are going to the USA. What should we see and what isn't worth it?</i>"

Do you have a guidebook(s)? Do you have a 'wish list'? Do you plan on driving or taking public transport. When are you going?

We can help you focus/refine a plan . . .but coming up w/ a basic idea is really your job.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 06:22 PM

...and even on a more basic level...please look at a map of the UK/Ireland.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 06:38 PM

You are off to a very good start by choosing only to visit GB and Ireland and not trying to run all over Europe. Start with a couple of good guide books, perhaps Fodors for lots of good basic information and Eyewitness, for beautiful small pictures of famous sights. Against many other opinions, I also like Rick Steves for practical stuff like opening times of museums, etc., though you can also get that here.

Look at some Irish travel and English travel web sites that have pictures and stories to help you narrow choices. Think about what you like to do: visit pubs and bars, visit museums, both, etc. Get a big map. Look to see where things are located. When you decide on some of the things you want to see and places you want to go, people here can tell you how best to do it. Have fun planning.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 06:50 PM

If you are U.S. citizens, the "special permission" you will need is a U.S. passport.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 08:30 PM

Read some UK and Ireland trip reports right here at Fodors. Browse Barnes & Noble for guidebooks for both countries. (Allows you to look at all possibilities without having to buy. Then when you do buy one, you'll know which ones you like best.)

Don't wait on the passports. Just go ahead and get them now.

What time of year are you going? Make sure you're aware of weather during the time you're going and plan accordingly.

Good luck!
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely read as much as you can to see what sort of things you are interested in - trip reports on this forum, guidebooks, other travel forums like Lonely Planet, SlowTrav, Frommers etc, talk to people who have travelled. The more informed you are the more likely you are to enjoy the trip.

I'd suggest a week in London. There is a huge amount of things to see but only you know if you want to see museums, or shop, or go to theatre, or do guided walks, visit castles/palaces, parks etc.

If you haven't already decided, I'd suggest going in May/June/July for better weather and more things happening.

This website has everything you need to know about transport in London www.tfl.gov.uk

Also a ton of info, including accommodation, on www.londontown.com

Kay
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 12:57 AM

Good advice above to start reading guide books and get a good map. When is your trip?

For 1 month I would recommend a week in London as well. There are loads of things to see and do in London as well as great day trips. To get you started on London take a look at London Walks www.walks.com for an idea of what is around, they do great affordable day trips as well.

For the other 3 weeks your choices are endless - depends what you are interested in and what time of year you are visiting. If its the summer you may want to go to the seaside, or Cornwall. York is lovely anytime of year.

Do you want to include Scotland? Edinburgh is worth at least 3 days.

Transportation is important as well. You may think about flying into say Dublin, then travelling the counryside (do you plan to drive or rely on public transport) and flying from Shannon to Edinburgh, spend some time there, then train to York for a couple of days and then ending up in London for the final week and flying home from there. Try to fly into one place and out of another to save the cost and time of backtracking to London.

As you can see there are lots of variables to think about and plans to be made. Start by figuring out what you want to see and then come back and let us help you with the logistics etc.

The one mistake alot of newbies make is trying to see too much, you dont want to spend your whole vacation in a plane, train or automobile - so make sure you budget time to actually see the places you are going to. I rarely stay somewhere 1 night as that doesnt give me a full day - so try to keep to 2-3 night stays, more in larger cities like London and Edinburgh. Dublin probably only warrants 3 nights.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 01:06 AM

affordabletours.com many good safe tours for a first timer
Had a great time there with Globus when a newbie.No clue about your budget but if you elect to self guide here are a few sites.

ricksteves.com
eurocheapo.com
seat61.com
londontown.com

cheapoair.com cheap flight into LON work your way around from there cheaply like a local on regional train.

travel.state.gov for entry
just a passport all you need for up to 3 months.

Good luck!
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 01:34 AM

I think y'all should see the Cliffs of Moher (Ireland) and the Cliffs of Dover (England).
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 01:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mmmmm...Cliffs of Dover. Exciting. Not.

Kay
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 01:47 AM

A week in London?

ZZZzzzzzz
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 01:48 AM

When are you going? The Olympics are in London this summer, for example, and it will be very hard and expensive to find a place to stay for a couple of weeks before and then during the Olympics. Edinburgh is great during the Festival in August, but it is really hard to find a place to stay. Summer is the rainy season in the West Highlands, the most scenic part of Scotland. Have you looked up the weather in Ireland?

You also need to think about how you are going to get around. Driving in Ireland is hard and expensive because you have to pay for insurance and then more insurance. If you are under 25, you may find it impossible to rent a car anyway. So it will be train or bus. Which goes to what you want to see?

How many of you are there? Many rooms, esp in hotels in the UK are quite small, so you may need two if there are more than two sisters. Hostels with dormitory rooms might be a better bet. In London, you might try to find an apartment for a week or two and use it as a base for visiting pretty much all of southeastern England. Ditto Edinburgh or Glasgow for Scotland. I understand that Dublin is not a great place for a base to do daytrips, but I may be wrong. Search on here among the many threads that tell about doing this: apartments London.

In most towns there will be a tourist information center that can book you a room in a B&B or hotel for a small fee. It is often in the train station or nearby. This is good because you don't have to know in advance where you want to go.

Make a list of the normal sites you want to see as people recommend above, but leave yourself plenty of time just to walk around and hang out and meet other young people. You are young, and you will go back.

Finally, risks. You absolutely cannot afford to use your phone the way you do here, especially texting. Read about what you need to do to make it cheaper, but even cheaper is expensive. You need to be careful about leaving stuff around. It is very safe, but crooks go where tourists go. Finally, don't be too smily with strangers. People don't do that abroad as much, and they may think you are coming on to them. Have fun! Come back and ask more questions after you have done some reading. How you get and handle money and how you get transportation passes are two good subjects you will want to know about.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 06:46 AM

>>>Mmmmm...Cliffs of Dover. Exciting. Not.<<<

Depends on the person. The first time I saw them from the ferry between Boulogne to Dover I was thrilled. They had seen the Romans arrive and leave. Vikings. Normans. The Spanish Armada. Francis Drake and every famous seafarer of England had passed by them. And my father built and rebuilt radar stations atop the cliffs in the Second World War. Yes... I was thrilled.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 08:26 AM

Are you going by train or car or bus or a combo?

The train system in the UK is great in that there are tons of trains going everywhere all the time - less so in Ireland but there the bus system is fantastic at picking up the gaps from the few mainline rail services.

So consider the train and bus IMO in both and especially by train in the UK - check out these great sites IMO for tons of great info on train travel - www.nationalrail.co.uk -schedules and fares for all trains in the UK - many long-distance trains offer good discounts if you book online far ahead of time or even once in Britain say the day before or so - full fare can be real pricey - and www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

And if traveling enough check out the various BritRail Passes - there is a senior one in first class for folks 60 and over I believe - a nice thing about a railpass is that you can just show up and hop on any train anytime -and compared to fully flexible hop on at will fares just a few trips can make the pass pay. But remember that serious discounts available if you want to lock yourself into an often non-changeable non-refundable train weeks in advance as those seats are often sold in limited numbers and can go quickly.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 09:18 AM

It would also help us make recommendations if you give us into on

1) your interests - history, art, fine dining, shopping???
2) your budget category - do you stay at motel 6 and eat at applebees? Do you stay at Ritz Carltons and eat at 3* restaurants?

Once you have done some basic work on sights (WHY ar eyou going) the above will help us give you specifi recommendations?
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 09:33 AM

Don't drink the water
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 11:51 AM

I have found the Cliffs of Dover to be very very exciting as well as Dover Castle, which lies right under the cliffs and to me is one of the finest-looking castles, at least from the outside, in all of Europe.

But yes to glimpse the cliffs from the Channel as your boat nears or departs from Dover is a memorable sight that will have you singing that 'cliffs of Dover' song from WW2 era (I believe)

but clamboring right up on top of the cliffs is a real treat as well - there is a steep stepped largely as I recall path right from the main Dover ferry terminal right up to the top of the cliffs. And once up top you can explore the many tunnels and small forts that were hewn out of the cliffs, especially for WW2 defenses. I do not know if these tunnels are still open to the public as they were when I was there long ago but with a flashlight you could at that time go seemingly forever into the darkness. and there were remains from military days as well - detritus.

So yes the Cliffs of Dover can be exciting whether glimpsed from afar or up close IME.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 12:29 PM

>>Browse Barnes & Noble for guidebooks for both countries. (Allows you to look at all possibilities without having to buy. Then when you do buy one, you'll know which ones you like best.)<<

Check your local library, too. Mine has a good selection of travel guides; we checked out quite a few, read them, and ended up buying a Frommer's England guide.

Lee Ann
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 04:51 AM

I second Lee Ann's idea about getting guidebooks out of the library -- depending on what they have, you can get a wide variety, and it won't matter much if they're old, or heavy. (When it comes time to buy a guidebook to take with you, new and lightweight really matter!)

Apart from each looking at the books, and coming up with lists of the things that you are each dying to see, I suggest coming up with lists of the kinds of experiences you hope to have. When push comes to shove, I usually find that I've got a buried picture in my mind of wanting to be in a bustling Asian market or wanting to climb a hill in a rural landscape or etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -