Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

our first christmas married and in the uk!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 09:15 PM
robin

where should we go and what are the important/beautiful sights to see during the holiday season! this will be the first time both of us will be this far away from family! <BR> <BR>newleyweds!!!

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 09:44 PM
Pat

Blackpool is both important and beautiful. Plan on a wonderful honeymoon there.

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 10:50 PM
Gordon R

I take it you'll be living here rather than making a short visit. Between Christmas and New Year ("Twixmas" as some call it) is a good time to pick up bargain hotel breaks. These start to get advetised in UK newspapers in November. We stayed in Harrogate last year and had a great time. Don't expect much from the weather though - a town or city location is best. BTW, Pat is pulling your chain. Blackpool is a complete dump, particularly off-season.

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 11:34 PM
sonia

Hi Robin <BR> <BR>Gordon is absolutely right! Blackpool is the pits - the most grottiest seaside resort in the world!!!!! Please don't go there. <BR> <BR>I would recommend a trip to the Cotswolds. There are some wonderful small 'olde worlde' hotels/Bed&Breakfasts/pubs that you could stay in. These would offer, log fires, candlelight etc - very romantic! <BR> <BR>You'll find much to do in London, so it would be worth spending time there, but it is advisable to venture out, so you can see some of the countryside. <BR> <BR>Gordon is also right about the weather. You won't see England at its best - it will be cold, bare and drab! However, if it snows it can be very picturesque, or if there is an early morning frost! Be warned! However much advance notice we get of snow, we are notorious for being ill-prepared, you will find roads blocked, trains not operating and the country at a virtual standstill!!! <BR> <BR>Other areas to visit would be Yorkshire - again Gordon is spot on. Harrogate and surrounding area is beautiful. The City of York, is a magical place, a very beautiful and historic city, with a fabulous Minister and many interesting places to visit. <BR> <BR>You could also visit the Lake District, which is very scenic and again will offer the same style accommodation/hospitality as the Cotswolds. <BR> <BR>I am English, so obviously biased, but, you could also venture into Wales - Snowdonia has landscape hard to beat, and of course Scotland. Edinburgh is a lovely city. <BR> <BR>You really are spoilt for choice, my only concern is the weather. You could be left with the impression that we live in a cold, drab, miserable country, but it can be very beautiful, especially in Spring/Summer. <BR> <BR>If you require anymore info, post a reply.

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 12:51 AM
Michelle

We all make mistakes occasionally and I'm no exception. I spent last New Year's Eve in Blackpool!! Robin - please, don't even think about it!!!! <BR> <BR>Previous New Year was spent in Edinburgh (The George Hotel) - it was truly brilliant. The whole holiday was made even better by staying at Acorn Bank (a National Trust property) for 3 days en route to Scotland. Parts of Acorn Bank date back to 10th Century (including kitchen of our apartment which, thankfully, had been modernized). Apartment windows overlook acres and acres of parkland, formal gardens, sheep, snow (we were lucky), and forest - it was a magical place to be. <BR> <BR>If you're in London prior to Christmas, try to get to a carol concert at The Royal Albert Hall. It definitely gives a kickstart to the festive feeling. Having done both expensive and cheap seats, go for the cheapo - much friendlier folk and they're willing to share their song sheets when you've left yours at the bar.

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 02:29 AM
sj

While I realize that Blackpool isn't the best place for a quality holiday, it's far from being the grottiest resort - it's great for a fun time observing its kitsch and tackiness (the tower, old trams, 'kiss me quick'hats, rollercoasters, donkey rides, atrocious 'comedians' you'd thought had given up years ago...)

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 04:22 AM
Michelle

OK, I concede that Blackpool can be fun - but not at Christmas/New Year. Truly, everything was closed - even the seagulls had gone on holiday!