Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Our Final London Itinerary, please help... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/our-final-london-itinerary-please-help-368629/)

donnae_b Oct 13th, 2003 09:22 PM

Our Final London Itinerary, please help...

Day One, Saturday, Oct. 18
Leave hotel by 4 p.m.
Harrods
Royal Albert Hall
Royal Colege of Music
Sticky Fingers Pub, for a drink
Earls Court, dinner
Picadilly Circus

Day Two, Sunday
Princess Di's Memorial Walk, begin at Kensington Gardens
stop at speakers corner
Downing Street
Trafalgar Day Parade
Big Ben
Houses of Parliment
Crown Jewels
Tower of London
Tower Bridge, Pedestrian Walkway
Pub walk

Day Three
Westminster Abbey
St. Paul Cathedral, cross millineum bridge to tate modern
trafalgar square
covent gardens
belgo o drink a beer and eat mussels
carnaby street

Day four
little venice, regents canal
beatles walking tour
hampton court, closes at 6 p.m.
wolf's (soho)for dinner

Day five "rent a car for two days"
Warwick Castle
Stratford upon avon

Day six
Liverpool

Day seven
windsor castle
St. Martens in the field

WillTravel Oct 13th, 2003 09:44 PM

Most of the days look more ambitious than I've ever been able to achieve.

For Days 2 and 3, you go from the Houses of Parliament to the Tower of London, and then you start Day 3 at Westminster Abbey. How about doing Westminster Abbey either before or after the Houses of Parliament, since they are right across the street from each other? Then you can start off Day 3 with the Tower of London (including the Crown Jewels) and the Tower Bridge.

I don't know if you are planning a guided tour of the Houses of Parliament or Westminster Abbey. I would highly recommend guided tours for both of these. Each tour takes about 1.5-2 hours. Then you will probably want to walk around a bit by yourselves. Similarly for the Tower of London and St. Paul's Cathedral.

At any rate, I am sure you will work this all out when you're there. You have a good handle on what you want to see, it looks like.

Degas Oct 14th, 2003 03:20 AM

Why Picadilly Circus on day one? Its just a traffic intersection.

Day four looks impossible. Little Venice and Regents canal is nice, but nothing special. What is your priority for the day?

Anonymous Oct 14th, 2003 03:37 AM

Sorry to say, this itinerary includes roughly double what it will actually be possible to do, and furthermore looks like it was planned without reference to a map of London.

donnae_b Oct 14th, 2003 05:34 AM

Thank you for all of your comments. You have all help us tremendously.

bettyk Oct 14th, 2003 06:10 AM

Check out this virtual website of London. It also will give you area maps and a better idea of how the city is laid out. Also, it's fun just to "wander:"around London!

http://www.explore-london.co.uk/index.html

mclaurie Oct 14th, 2003 07:25 AM

Donna, your response sounds angry for no reason. What people are trying to say is you're trying to accomplish too much. You'll be exhausted if not frustrated. If this is your first trip to London, you should take the hop on hop off double decker bus tour the first day you're there (or maybe Sunday, which is the first full day) to get to see all the major sights/areas, at least from the outside and get a feel for where things are.

A few odd comments...On day one, you could spend 5 minutes or 3 hours at Harrods (but not if you're just getting started at 4 PM!)

Most people suggest doing the Tower of London first thing in the morning(get online before they open). Sunday is prbably the BUSIEST day there. If you want to do Speaker's Corner (which is only on Sun. morning) I'd suggest doing the Tower on a different day.

St Marten's in the Field is IN Trafalgar Square so if you're going there on the last day (I'm assuming for a concert?), you don't need to make a special stop on day 3.

janis Oct 14th, 2003 07:25 AM

donnae_b: You have received a lot of good advice on your other threads, but this itinerary is not really an improvement on your earlier versions. Some of your days are impossible - or practically so.

Sunday is really a problem. Sunday is by far the most crowded day at the Tower of London. And on that day you are traversing the entire width of central London. Kens, Gardens, Hyde Park, Speakers' Corner, Whitehall, the Tower. Whys not group things that are closer together??

For instance - St Pauls is convenient to the Tower so you could do the two of them on one day.

Trafalgar Square, St Martin's in the Field, Downing St, Big Ben, and Westminster Abbey are all close together. Do them on the same day.

Day 4 doesn't make much sense either - a walking tour in central London and then out to Hampton Court Palace?

elaine Oct 14th, 2003 07:45 AM

Taking into account your interests and some comments above, how's this ( I won't mark which day is day one or day two, that's up to you, and you might want to take weather into consideration)

one day
Royal Albert Hall (a walk by?)
Princess Di walk
Harrods (there's a small Princesss Di memorial in the basement)

another day
The Tower, start with Crown Jewels
Tower Bridge
St Paul's Cathedral
maybe something else--Covent Garden?

another day
Pic. Circus
Trafalgar Square
St Martin's in the Field
Big Ben and Houses of Parliament (walk by?)
Horseguards ( I added that)
Downing Street
Buckingham Palace (I added that)

another day
One walking tour, plus Covent Garden

I can't see going all the way up to Liverpool for less than one day, but that's up to you.

I have to join the chorus, I don't think you've been looking at a London map, or else you need to look again.
And since you have posted several times and now say "please help", don't be offended by the criticisms or suggestions. You are free to ignore them, but you're getting some good advice.

By the way, since you seem to be a Beatles fan, you might consider taking the Tube to St John's Wood and walking a couple of blocks from the station to see the striped street crossing that was on the cover of the "Let It Be" --album. It's at the corner of Abbey Road.

hansikday Oct 14th, 2003 07:48 AM

You asked for and got very good advice on previous posts and this itinerary doesn't reflect it. Don't get mad if the advice was not what you wanted to hear.

Days two and four have too much and need to be re-worked.

Jacqui Oct 15th, 2003 04:31 AM

Since it is undergoing a pretty major external cleaning & restoration programme atm, you may want to save St Pauls Cathedral for another trip to see it at its best.

I would suggest you do the Tower of London/Tower Bridge first thing on Monday. You could then grab the No. 15 bus to Covent Garden (which goes past St Pauls just so as not to miss it completely) and continue your plans there. Of course this plan would also involve missing the Tate Modern.

As others have said your trip to Westminster Abbey would be better grouped with your visit to the Houses of Parliament/Big Ben etc.

I have to say, as a Londoner, your itinerary reads a bit strange to me. No mention of the British Museum & London Eye for example - both which would be pretty high up on my list of recommendations for visitors - whereas Little Venice/Earls Court/Royal College of Music/Speakers Corner would not be.

dumas1870 Oct 24th, 2003 11:36 AM

donnae_b, what did you decide to do on this one?