Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Our experience using Tour Of Italy for transfers from Naples to Sorrento.

Jun 20th, 2007, 04:06 AM
kp
Original Poster

We just returned from attending our DD wedding in Sorrento, Italy and I must rave about Giovanni and Giancarlo and their company--Tour Of Italy (transfer and excursion services).
Due to delayed flights, lost luggage, and not being familiar with the train service the bridesmaids arrived in Naples hours later than expected. Even with the late arrival Giovanni was waiting at the train station when they arrived.
We will always remember the exceptional customer service provided by Giovanni and Giancarlo and wholeheartedly recommend Tour of Italy if anyone is in need of a car service.
In addition to the transfers we did use Tour of Italy to arrange a tour guide in Pompeii and a tour of the Amalfi Coast. All services were excellent.
Of course—I must add that DD was a beautiful bride!
Sep 12th, 2009, 09:31 PM

Hi, How can I contact the "Tour of Italy" guides you recommended?
Thanks, nancy
Sep 13th, 2009, 04:13 AM

Here's the link: http://tourofitaly.com

kp - glad to hear everything worked out.
Apr 18th, 2010, 07:35 PM

Wow. We had the exact opposite experience with Tour of Italy. It ended up being a complete nightmare from beginning to end. We had contracted for a 10 hour tour of Positano, Ravello and the AC then a transfer to Rome (all from Sorrento) for 450 euro.

The dad, Giancarlo I believe, was our tour guide. He refused to pick us up at our hotel because of some road work (all of the other vehicles were passing by just fine?) and made us walk to a soccer field to meet him. The van was dirty and broken down. He drove like a lunatic and cursed at the other cars. He treated it like a transfer only and provided absolutely no information on any of the cities. He decided to skip Ravello without telling us. The above recommendation is old, maybe he just got burnt out. He literally dropped us off in Positano, told us the parking fees were outrageous, pointed us in the direction of the beach and said to meet him back in 45 minutes. He did the same thing in Amalfi. What a waste of money and a waste of a day.

When my 9 year old son got car sick at the end, he took the opportunity to callously smoke a cigarette right by us and rant about how we must have fed him the wrong breakfast (which was only bread!). We were careful not to soil the vehicle and he offered no assistance at all while I frantically rummaged through our luggage looking for a wipe.

He reluctantly stopped for lunch, clearly mad we couldn't wait until 2:30 or 3 to eat at the autogrill on the autostrada where he wanted. He demanded that we not permit liquids for the children. Once I finally got my kids all settled, he pulled off at that autogrill announcing this is where we were supposed to eat and he wanted a coffee and cigarette. He never asked the names of my kids who sat quietly in the back and did not make a peep until Kevin whispered he was going to be ill. I think his ranting and cursing at the other cars was frigthening to them.

He flipped out on his cell phone when his son confirmed that we had booked a 10 hour tour that he cut down to 8. I thought he was going to have a heart attack and seriously sat there thinking about whether my husband would be able to grab the steering wheel in time. Because of the shortened time, it fouled up our Rome check-in.

Once we got to Rome, he complained about the traffic, waved around one of his business cards and said from now on he would only offer transfers to Rome on the weekends. The traffic didn't seem that bad to me. He got lost. He didn't know where to take us even though I had given him the address.

I had never been so happy getting out of that van for good. We were all completely miserable. I found him to be rude and inconsiderate. By no means was he a tour guide of any sort.

I guess if you just want a transfer, he is a competent driver. But if you want a tour, or something positive added to your experience, this is a definite no. Maybe the son is different? I wonder how the positive reviewer above was able to experience both of them.

I hope this review saves another traveller from a negative experience. This was the only dark spot on our otherwise glorious trip!
Apr 6th, 2011, 04:29 PM

Thank you - this is information we need to know as we plan! I'm sorry you had a rough time with that guy but thanks for posting it !