Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   OUR BIG ADVENTURE...2 WEEKS and counting (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/our-big-adventure-2-weeks-and-counting-1007006/)

dabunting Feb 27th, 2014 06:20 AM

OUR BIG ADVENTURE...2 WEEKS and counting

Any last minute tips or suggestions...

Saas Fee (Switzerland)
5 days skiing

Paris (3 days)

London (3 days)

dabunting Feb 27th, 2014 06:22 AM

Wondering how much cash I should get out in each Country? I imagine I do this at the airport after arriving.

Usually I never carry any cash and use my credit cards for everything but there it may be easier to just use cash? I have a Visa Travel credit card (so no fees).

Maybe I should get each of my girls a pre-paid American Express card that they can use for shopping?

Tulips Feb 27th, 2014 06:29 AM

Use credit card for almost everything, and get cash for small purchases (from an ATM). No need to get your girls a card unless you are planning for them to spend a lot of time on their own shopping. Give them some cash for small purchases.

dabunting Feb 27th, 2014 06:46 AM

ok thanks. I think they think that they are going to be able to shop on their own. But I would imagine that it's not smart to let them out of my sight to go shopping. (even tho they are 14 & 16 and very level headed)

socaltraveler Feb 27th, 2014 06:50 AM

Don't forget that there will be different currencies. An ATM debit card for 'cash' is better than a credit card. Do not carry all your cards. Check with your bank about transaction charges before you leave. And do not carry a lot of cash when out and about. Guess you figured out how to buy airplane tickets.

dabunting Feb 27th, 2014 06:52 AM

and best shopping "malls" in London and Paris are...?

Weekender Feb 27th, 2014 06:56 AM

Bond Street in London for fine shopping.

tower Feb 27th, 2014 07:01 AM

dabunting:
In London, forget the shopping malls. With your budget, Harrods will do just fine. Have fun an happy skiing..

bilboburgler Feb 27th, 2014 07:02 AM

Luckily there are malls (not to be confused with the "Mall")in both cities (normally the sort of place old dears go walk-exercise and chavs hang out) but do you really want to shop in one of those places? If you want proper shops then Oxford street and Bond street are key. I'd also check out Liberty on Regent Street.

Harrods is to be entered only with a sense of humour

BigRuss Feb 27th, 2014 07:14 AM

<i> If you want proper shops then Oxford street and Bond street are key. I'd also check out Liberty on Regent Street.</i>

Jermyn Street.

tower Feb 27th, 2014 07:14 AM

Bilbo...you're certainly right on that. But you'd have to "know" the OP to understand why I suggested it. Most of her long line previous posts have been wiped out by the editors.

colduphere Feb 27th, 2014 07:27 AM

Is it too late to recommend a different ski resort?

Tulips Feb 27th, 2014 07:30 AM

Makes me think of the American tourist I heard asking a guide at Buckingham Palace what time 'the Mall' opened.

Liberty's is lovely, particularly for scarves and accessories. Selfridges has everything and is huge. Harrods should be seen for a first time visitor to London - though Harvey Nichols is more trendy.

Topshop Oxford Circus for the girls - get there first thing as it gets busy and is quite big. Fairly inexpensive.

But my favorite street in London is Marylebone High Street; and go into the Wallace Collection nearby for tea (and the paintings of course).

I would only consider a shopping mall if the weather is absolutely hideous, in which case Westfield Shepherd's Bush has everything teenage girls may be interested in.

bilboburgler Feb 27th, 2014 07:39 AM

Big Russ, I'd agree about Jermyn Street but surely they have tailors who can rustle up the odd shirt or tie where the OP comes from? :-)

Tower, I've missed having knowledge of her. :-)

Another vote for Harvey Nichs, I understand they have one in the south somewhere.

nytraveler Feb 27th, 2014 09:14 AM

Our DDs loved shopping for tschotkes in Covent Garden - it is a dream for tweens and teens.

If that is the OP and her kids acutally exist.

Judy Feb 27th, 2014 09:34 AM

American Express is not as widely accepted in Europe as it is here. I'd use your Visa for all shopping, especially as it doesn't have a currency conversion fee.

flpab Feb 27th, 2014 12:28 PM

Topshop in London for sure. Princess Kate shops there a lot. I loved Harrods, at least go into the gift shop for souvenirs.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...de_France.html

Judy Feb 27th, 2014 02:32 PM

She said in her second post it has no fees.....so not totally incorrect!

dabunting Mar 6th, 2014 05:20 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Would you let your 14 & 16 yr old daughters shop by themselves?

dabunting Mar 6th, 2014 05:21 AM

and how about Paris? Where are "must go" shopping places?

really, thanks for the help. :)