Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Our 8 day plan in England/Wales - Scotland in winter?

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 04:03 PM
Anne

I posted a while back about a trip I am planning with my family for 8 days. Thanks for all the help concerning traveling with children.
Since I am a bit obsessive about Jane Austen, we are going south. To Chawton, Winchester, to Bath to Wales to Strafford to Warwick to York then to London. The boys and my husband love trains, (York) and castles (Caerphilly and Warwick). Throw in some stone circles Stonehenge, Rollright, stately homes (for me again Blenheim, and Castle Howard, religious history and ruins (family) York Minister, Riveleax and Fountains Abbey, and more Literature S-U-A and Haworth (maybe). Some of these will be in and out, S-U-A, - picnics Riveleax, Rollright. (any opinions?) London - A walk through Westminster area, Tower, Tower Bridge, me to Kensington children play in Hyde park, maybe V&A, a brief visit to the British Museum and Library. Oh and relax and have fun...(thank you Ben for other ideas not mentioned here) Look right first before crossing the street...

We will probably take the scenic route from Bath to Blenheim to Warwick area, but that is about the only one. You know how kids are in a car. The trip to York was added after some discussion, but will be fun, except when we fill up the tank with petrol.

I really want to go to Scotland ... How is the weather in February? My husband loves cold climates and went to Alaska last January. I think it would be beautiful - snow would be a treat. But maybe better in March/April? We live in NC and I think 50 is cold, but would enjoy the experience.

thanks,
Anne
(who has no interest in the tropics, as I live here)

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 04:46 PM
Thyra

Anne, I have not been to Scotland in February however I have been there in March (my favorite travel month) we drove as far north as Inverness in 1995 and the weather was overcast with scattered showers, there was snow on some of the higher elevations, though it did not snow. The air was brisk and chilly, but we LOVED it!! Fewer tourists on the roads and no problem finding inexpensive B and B's. Otherwise your itinerary looks like it may be a bit too much for only 8 days IMO. You may have to decide between Wales and Scotland, leave yourself plenty of time for enjoying where you are at. I think if I were you I would go up to Warwick! Warwick castle would be great for your boys, and then West to Wales (Where I have also been in March 1997, cold an rainy with snow on higher elevations but again LOVED IT!)which is also very interesting, on this trip, then next time go north to York and up to Scotland. Especially if you want to do Bath as well. Have a great trip, you will LOVE the UK.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 04:39 AM
Anne

Thank you Thrya. The guidebooks said the roads should be clear, but some of the sites closed. (I'll check first) I think 5 days in March would be fun and beautiful.

We are spending 8 days in October "touring" England, but I didn't make that clear. (I think I cut out a line saying that - sorry) I have been concerned aobut being rushed, we are taking things as they come, but I have marked a few "must sees". Since adding York we cut Glastonbury, Salisbury, and Oxford completely, and will only spend a morning in Bath. Looking again, we will probably not go to Fountains Abbey or Haworth.

thanks again for the imput
Anne

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 07:31 AM
frank

Scotland is pretty cold in Feb, but not as cold as many inland places in Europe, due to the influence of the Gulf stream.
Some places in the West get very little snow cover, the East tend to be colder.Your main enemy will be the wet & the wind - these come & go, you may be lucky & have it dry & sunny.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 09:41 AM
Lee

WE spent part of February in Scotland (Glasgow, Oban, west-coast generally) a few years ago. We brought heavy sweaters and light raincoats for over top at the reccomendation of relatives who live ther. And they called it right. In fact we got so lucky for a few warm sunny days we left the heavy sweaters at the hotel and wore only long-sleeved turtlenecks with jeans. Bring study waterproof light shoes or light hiking boots esp for kids who want to wander round old castles and ruins.