Search

Rome Apartments

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Apartments

My parents and I are looking to stay in an apartment while in Rome. We prefer to buy fresh produce/veggies, and cook most of our meals. We would also like an apartment that has a balcony or sitting area so that we can chill at the end of the day. Can anyone recommend an area that is within walking distance to the market, and to main sightseeing attractions? I was wondering if anyone could recommend an apt. In particular that they visited, and wouldn't hesitate to go back. I am looking at verbo but don't know what area to stay in. Any suggestions? Prefer away from traffic and lots of tourists, but within walking distance.
Thanks.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 05:46 AM

We dealt with www.rentalinrome.com for our stay last year.

They were great to deal with, and website has great, honest images of apartments.

Good food can be bought at Campo de Fiori market, so staying near here would be good - Piazza Navona is also nearby.

We stayed in this apartment - a great little supermarket just around the corner as well, but no terrace:
http://www.rentalinrome.com/campodef...ricalapartment
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 05:51 AM

Hi

4 questions will help Fodorites help you:

1. When are you going?
2. How long for?
3. What is your budget (in euro)?
4. Some apartments have stairs but no lift. Everyone OK with that?
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
We are looking to go June 19/20 - 25/26/13. Some of our plans had to change due to family circumstances here in Italy. We were planning to visit with them but we had to change dates/itineraries. I am positive about finding something, as there are places available, although I don't want to pay $$$$ for accommodations. We thought of staying at the Sisters Home in Rome as one of the nuns is my cousin's aunt but prefer to have a place has a kitchen so we can cook most meals. A double roomis 80 euros and a single room is 45 euros. We would be paying 125 euros/night with breakfast included. I have looked and there are rooms between 90-110/night but shared bathrooms and/or no kitchen.
we are okay with stairs but not many. My dad is 67, mom 64. I'm 41. We can carry our suitcases up and down the stairs but prefer not to have to climb up a long flight of stairs.
My parents like to be close to the supermarket/outdoor markets, and be free to walk around - not be stuck inside. We are currently in Varese, Milan staying at my mom's aunt's home. Her cousin lives upstairs with his family. We have enjoyed visiting with them. We went to Milan yesterday and visited several historical sites. We then bought pizza and shared it upstairs on their balcony. However, both the husband (my mom's cousin) and his wife are working during the day so it's hard to do much during the day. In the meantime, I am making the most of it by walking their dog ( which I enjoy doing!) Plus, it helps me to hopefully burn some much nededed calories from all the pizza, bread, wine, brioche, and pasta that our family has been feeding us!! I also am trying to catch up on some sleep/rest, and research on Travel sites. My dad leaves at the end of July (24) and my mom and I will be here until Sept. 13/13. We will then head back to Calabria and stay with my grandmother (my mom's mom) who will be turning 90!

From Varese, we will be travelling to Como to visit my day's cousin for about 4-5 days. My mom's cousin has offered to drive us there with his wife. From there we are planning to visit Venice (my second time, my parents first) and also looking for an apartment since we are three persons and most hotels accommodate 2 persons. We want to stay for 3-4 days (I prefer 4-5 days) and then head to Rome.

I travelled solo in 2009 for 3 months and was able to find accommodations for all of the places that I stayed. The only trouble I had with finding something was in Lucca but I didn't panic or worry. I ended up meeting two lovely ladies who helped me find a place. We became friends. I was invited to their home for dinner, and birthday. I met their families, and even went to Pisa with one of the ladies.

I appreciate your help. I don't want a lecture, or chat about how it's too late or last minute. It is what it is. I a positive that things will turn out, as they always do. I believe everything happens for a reason. It's been trying at times travelling with my parents, especially my dad. We butt heads, always did. I would have preferred to travel solo, or only with my mom but it's been 43 years since my dad has been back to his homeland, and my mom didn't want to travel alone with him since she didn't know where to go. My dad has requainted with many of his family members. The last time he saw them, they were 10-13 years old. It's been great (at times) but also stressful, and overwhelming since my mom and I are meeting many of these people for the first time. Also, for the first few weeks, we spent the majority of the time meeting/visiting with family, eating lunch at one family's house, and dinner at another family's member home. It was go-go-go. Not to mention very tiring.

I am grateful that I am travelling with my parents however there are times when I think we need a break, and some space from one another. That's why I would prefer a two bedroom apartment. I sometimes wish that I could wander off on my own, and have my parents tour the city in their own but they don't feel comfortable doing so since they have never explored Italy before. I think once my dad goes back to Canada, I will feel a bit more relaxed. My mom will too since she has been in the middle. I call her a Saint because she has a lot of patience, and has been able to talk to me when my dad and I are at our wit's end.

I didn't intend to share all of this but I did. lol. I'm sure I'm no the first person to travel with family that has experienced conflict with their parents although I do wish that my dad was more open minded, and easier to communicate with. Then again, he's old school, and only knows/understands what he learned, and experienced.

Thank you for your help! : )
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 03:09 AM

Just to encourage you: it is not ideal, but it is quite possible to find good rentals at a late stage. Life does not always allow you to plan a year in advance. Try to carve out little snippets of time for yourself - an early walk while they are getting ready, or whatever suits your situation. Have you checked out the VRBO site?
https://www.google.ae/search?q=vrbo+...ahNIHUrQeDooBA

I prefer them, because they immediatly show you if a place is available for your dates. Then you can look at the rest of the detail. I hate wasting time with sites that force you to fill in a form with all your info before telling you that something is not available. Good luck!
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 04:00 PM

Hi

Check out - http://www.sleepinitaly.com. June 19/20 - 25/26/13 - che? Should that read July 19/20 - July 25/26?
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help, and encouragement. I am checking out the sites that you recommended and hope to find something soon. We are still in Varese but stuck at my mom's cousin's home. There is not much to do here although our hosts took us to visit Il Lago d'Orta, drive through the town of Arona, and Lago Maggiore. it would have been nice to stop and walk around some of Lago Maggiore but there wasn't much time since both persons work during the day and don't get home until 4pm. We are leaving this afternoon for Lake Como and will be staying with my dad's cousin. It sucks having the day available but not being able to do anything because we are not close to anything. However, since I have the time, I will look for accommodations in Venice and Rome while I have access to Wi-Fi.

Oops! You're right! The dates are July 19/20 - July25/26/13.

I would like you're opinion on prices. What price range is good for an apartment in Venice and Rome for 3 persons. We are not rich, and are not looking for anything fancy. Just something comfortable, quaint, clean, a kitchen, living room, preferably two bedrooms, bathroom, and a place to chill outside and enjoy, even if it's close to a cafe, or piazza.

What are some good areas to look at? We don't want to rely on public transport if we don't have to.

Thanks.
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 03:53 AM

We found the apartments listed by realrome.com to be very affordable. The one we rented in March did not have A/C so I would not recommend it in July.