Our 10 day choir tour to Scotland

Old Jun 4th, 2024, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our 10 day choir tour to Scotland

So I am leaving today on a ten day choir tour in Scotland . DH is coming along to enjoy the performances and we are sharing one checked bag and each have a 20” carryon plus the popular “personal item.” I have packed carefully, including choir robes for churches and attire for concerts. My carryon has my music folder, performance attire, and medications. DS2 is staying at our house while we’re gone to care for our elderly dogs who can no longer be boarded except at a vet’s. DS2 offers to help DH load the car. I see them bustling around the boot of the car, arranging bags and slamming down the hatch. We drive the hour to the Atlanta airport and they unload two suitcases. DS2 closes the hatch. WHERE IS MY CARRY ON BAG? DS and DH look at each other, then at me. It’s back at home.

DS is on his way now to pick up the suitcase and bring it back. He will not make it within the two hours ahead we were told to show up at the gate. OTOH, we have already got boarding passes and our checked bag is already loaded on the plane. We can’t go through security until I have the bag in hand. We are now sitting on a hard ledge since some management consultant has determined that removing all lobby seating from the restaurant area will encourage people to sit in the restaurants and buy food.

I have made no recriminations regarding this really inexplicable gaffe. All three suitcases were in the same area. Is the moral of this story not to rely on anyone for anything? To double check everything oneself, down to the most obvious details? Or just that sh!t happens? I am writing this to avoid opening my mouth, which may of its own accord say things best left unsaid. Thank you for reading.

Old Jun 4th, 2024, 04:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Oh Sh...................ttt Kswl3. I feel your pain,
And yes - (1) the moral of the story is - load and unload everything yourself.
(2) It is a mystery how someone could miss 1 of 3 bags sitting together.

I recommend Jersey Caramels. They provide something sweet to chew on and prevent the opening of one's mouth, through which may issue words which, as you say may be best left unsaid at the moment.

Good Luck! xoxoxoxo

Last edited by Bokhara2; Jun 4th, 2024 at 04:07 PM.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Bokhara2 . I am working my way through a family size bag of Haribo and trying to appear as if I am not pretty royally ticked off. 🤬
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 04:22 PM

What bokhara2 said, but not the Jersey Caramels! 😂 I would probably lose a tooth eating them and then add that to the troubles.

You poor thing, keep us posted
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 04:24 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh man, nightmare indeed.

I suddenly don't feel so anal when I confirm with spouse, after he loads luggage..."two suitcases, two backpacks, yes?".

Fingers crossed on your behalf.

To heck with the candy, I suggest a G&T at the nearest airport bar.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 04:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Kwsl, the exact same thing happened to us (well, me, if truth be told) when we were in Tucson last year. Fortunately it was a domestic flight and our habit of getting to the airport early meant we had enough time, barely, to go back across town to our B&B, get the bag, and make it to our flight on time.

I feel your pain. Good luck.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 04:55 PM

It happened to us - once. That’s likely what will happen to you as well. Thank goodness for Haribo.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 05:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope it all works out for you. Enjoy Scotland, which will be beautiful at this time of year.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

I have the carry on and am sitting at the gate, and although much later than the dictated time we are not even the last ones here. Thank heavens for the foibles of others! It’s heartening to read that we are not the only ones who have shown up at an airport minus a suitcase. Misery really does love company

Thank you for these well wishes. I have not been in Scotland since 2002 and am very excited. We are singing in a number of historic churches and will give recitals at Stirling Castle and another venue. Now that I have my music and robes I am breathing huge sighs of relief!
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 05:20 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Lang may yer lum reek, lassie!
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 05:34 PM

Happened to my parents once, by the taxi driver loading their luggage. They had to rush back home and there was their suitcase sitting in the driveway, duh!
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 05:53 PM

Oh man, kswl3!!! I’m so glad your son saved the day!!!

Though not as stressful, it reminds me of a time years ago at Christmas when we drove all the way from Charlotte, NC to DC with our little girls and my suitcase wasn’t in the car when we arrived. I packed it, put it downstairs to load and have no idea how it was left behind but it was.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 05:55 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Great news you are reunited with your carryon kswl3. Enjoy your time in Scotland.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 06:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
May this be the only problem in your trip!

I once left ALL of my clothes at home. I was distracted by packing food into coolers, and I forgot to bring downstairs the backpack containing my clothes. My bad. Luckily, it was "just" a trip to a cabin in the Sierra. I shopped at an outlet store and the local CVS. We ate well, and I had almost no laundry to do when I got home!

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 07:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Enjoy traveling with your choir in Scotland. Sorry you had to go all through all this unnecessary stress!!
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 07:41 PM

You made it!! Have a wonderful trip.

We discovered three hours into the trip to Jackson Hole, and at 10 pm on the way, that we left all of our ski clothes in our “ski bag” on our bedroom floor.

Anyone want to loan long underwear? Coats? Ski pants? Helmets? Friends and family came through but the outfits were quite eclectic.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 07:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Great news that you & your carry-on bag are reunited!

A musician friend was relating the story on the weekend of a very similar trip with a school band. They were flying from Australia to England and somehow all of their luggage, including the instruments was put on the wrong plane and sent to somewhere in the US. Their first performance was scheduled the day after their arrival, so no time for retrieval of their instruments. Luckily, their host town was able to rustle up sufficient replacement instruments for their performances until theirs arrived a few days later.

Hope you have a wonderful trip - and count the bags on & off everything
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 08:18 PM
mjs

Air Tags?
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 10:46 PM

Whew!
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 11:39 PM

Oh gosh kswl3 - how worrying for you!
I toured in early 2023 with a choir (singing in the 'big' English Cathedrals) and I think I checked my carry on about every hour on the flight over.
All the best for what should be an amazing experience.
Guard the music and robes at all times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -