Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   OUCH! Breaking in new shoes - Best Way? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ouch-breaking-in-new-shoes-best-way-435171/)

Calamari May 24th, 2004 06:14 PM

OUCH! Breaking in new shoes - Best Way?

After reading so many rave reviews about Clarks, I bought two pairs of Clark sandals for our trip today. We leave in four days. I have been walking around in them trying to break them it, but THEY HURT! Any suggestions on how to speed up the process?

cigalechanta May 24th, 2004 06:22 PM

If they hurt when you buy them they'll always hurt. If they are too tight. You'll need shoe stretchers. I advised on another thread to tape the bottoms of new shes to protect from dirt and wear them all day. Íf they hurt, return them the next day.
I hope they work out for you. Have a wonderful time and bring a pair of old comfy shoes to be sure you have an emergency pair to wear.

kismetchimera May 24th, 2004 06:48 PM

Poor calamari!! despite that everyone praises Clark sandals, i cannot wear them.They are hard and very uncofortable..This is the reason that I always buy SAS shoes...My feet are in heaven when i wear them..

Anyway.. this si my way of stretching tights shoes or sandals..Wear the sandals inside the house with a pair of white cotton socks..Just wear them for a couples of hours..repeat this process often if you need more stretch..This method always works for me..

Have a great trip to my Beloved Italy Calamari..
Ciao and Buon Viaggio,
AnnaMaria

Christina May 24th, 2004 06:58 PM

I agree, you shouldn't buy shoes that hurt when you first wear them -- they don't fit and won't ever be comfortable. I have tried on Clarks and don't like them at all, even though others do -- on me, they hurt and so I wouldn't buy them. All of the shoes I have that are comfortable for walking a lot have been comfortable from the day I bought them and didn't really need any breaking in at all. I think any shoe can get slightly softer or worn in upon wearing them a long time (but sometimes that makes them less sturdy, not really more comfortable), but shoes that fit shouldn't need breaking in. I have learned over time and won't buy any shoes that are uncomfortable when I try them on.

Sally May 24th, 2004 07:14 PM

If you can't return them, immediately take them to a shoemaker or shoe store and have them stretched in the areas where they hurt your feet. That will help a lot. They can put the shoes in a stretching machine, but it works better if they stretch them for several days.

And, yes, if you wear socks with them, you will be much more comfortable (and less likely to get blisters)- not "cool," but comfortable. Wear slacks with socks that match the shoes, and it will be less noticeable, if that matters to you.

Moleskin or duct tape on the sore spots will help, too. My sons are all former Boy Scouts and big time hikers. This is what they do when their boots aren't sufficiently broken in.

I like SAS very much, too- never have to break them in. You can always splurge and go get a pair of SAS sandals or walkers. The suede ones with velcro are especially comfortable. I have actually gone mountain climbing in them- with my hiking sons!

Calamari May 24th, 2004 07:14 PM

Unless the white sock (German tourist look) suggestion works, looks like I am out about $150. They felt great in the store. One pair I even wore out of the store but once I got home I had to take them off. I may still be able to return the other pair. I wore them for about 15 minutes in the kitchen but I don't think I'll be able to take it. I broke my own personal shoe law - No sandals with between the toe floss. Looks like the Brighton's (made in Italy, bought in So. Cal) I wore all over Tuscany last year will be going with me again this year. Thanks all for your suggestions.

adrienne May 24th, 2004 07:53 PM

Another vote for SAS walking shoes. I didn't need to break mine in...they fit perfectly from the beginning.

I also wear Ecco sandals which are equally comfortable, although Ecco walking shoes aren't as good for my feet as the SAS.

Just because a shoe fits lots of people, it doesn't mean it's for you. Try to take the Clarks back to the store and try some other brands.

Please do not take those shoes on vacation with you!

Calamari May 24th, 2004 09:29 PM

Adrienne - I am going to Nordstom in the morning to see if they carry SAS. Thanks for the tip. Last year I took a pair of Cole Hahn sandals and almost threw them into the Arno they hurt so much. I am on a power search. Thanks.

Barbara May 24th, 2004 09:46 PM

Calamari, Nordstrom at N. County Fair have Joseph Seibel, Bjorn and Munro, all of which are very comfy. I never find Clark's comfortable either. Good luck and have a safe and fun trip.

Calamari May 24th, 2004 09:58 PM

Barbara - Do you live in North County? N. County Fair is about 30 min from my house but I will head over tomorrow. I was going to go to UTC, but NCF is better. Thanks

diddl_maus May 24th, 2004 10:29 PM

I agree, if they hurt now then they probably always will. I swear by NAOT shoes. Had trouble with Mephisto and Birkenstocks but the NAOTS felt as if they had been made for my foot. I wore them on a European tour for about 16 hours a day.

adrienne May 25th, 2004 01:43 AM

Calamari - try a small, independent shoe store where the salesperson actually measures your feet and makes sure the shoe fits. The shoes I bought at my local store were only about $5 more than if I had bought them at Nordstrom but I had personalized attention that I thought was worth the $5.

I also bought a packaged orthotic (yikes - am I that old???) for extra cushion. Of course, this won't work for a sandal but is great in a walking shoe.

Statia May 25th, 2004 05:43 AM

Calamari, it sounds like you bought the same Clark's sandals that I did. I wore mine a little each day for about a month before our trip to Italy. However, mine were already quite comfortable when I tried them on in the store.

I agree that you might just be out of luck, which is even more of a bummer since you paid so much for them. I only paid $80 for mine. Maybe you could keep trying to wear them off and on each day before the trip?

sherry1 May 25th, 2004 05:47 AM

Do department stores carry SAS shoes?

dln May 25th, 2004 05:55 AM

Calamari, don't bring those sandals with you! There's nothing you can do in four days that will break them in. I've also bought good sandals that have felt heavenly in the shoe store, only to have my feet tortured when actually wearning them for more than a few hours. The good news is that the sandals eventually do stretch out and become comfortable (big emphasis on the "eventually"). However, you might find yourself going through a package or two of Dr. Scholl's Moleskin first! Not a good idea on a trip.

Look for another pair of sandals, as everyone suggested, or better yet, bring an older, broken-in pair. Shine them up well with shoe polish and no one will be the wiser!

And have a good visit to beautiful Italy!

ChatNoir May 25th, 2004 06:11 AM

Okay, this may sound dumb. but a long, long time ago when playing college sports, I remember we sprayed on some
stuff to harden the skin on your feet and ankles. Think it was called Tough Skin.

I will not mention the disgusting practical jokes we played with the stuff called Atomic Balm.

But I think dear Calamari is much to refined to resort to such drastic and messy measures!

Barbara May 25th, 2004 09:24 AM

Calamari, yes, I live in N. County in Rancho Penasquitos.

Adrienne, when I buy shoes at Nordstrom, I get exactly that kind of personal attention, which is why I buy so many pairs of shoes there! Nordstrom built their whole business on shoes, they were a shoe store first.

Rick May 25th, 2004 09:37 AM

I remember from my mountain climbing days that you should put the shoes (boots) on, stand in water until the shoes are saturated and then walk them dry.

kismetchimera May 25th, 2004 09:55 AM

Haha Calamari!! When i suggested wear them with socks I did not means to wear them outsite the house..it was for inside the house only..:):)

I never Wear socks with my Sandals...

For the SAS shoes look in the internet for the stores nears you...
I live in Texas and we have many stores in my city..
But believe me, for travel they are the best!!
I have ruins my feet in my younger days with trendy, pointed toed shoes..I know what it is to wear uncomfortable shoes..

Curious May 25th, 2004 10:07 AM

"Calamari - try a small, independent shoe store where the salesperson actually measures your feet and makes sure the shoe fits."

Having spent 15 years in the shoe business and having sold thousands of Clark's, you obviously bought the wrong size.

You can offer to measure women's feet all day, but they insist on sticking their size 8s into 7 or 7 1/2s. That is why women are a Podiatrist's dream. Bunions, sore feet, etc.

Clark's as well as SAS are both great shoes. I've sold tons of both. It's up to the adult wearer to make sure they fit. Children's shoes are the saleman's resonsibility, but adults???????? Give me a break.

Curious