Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Other than the bleedin' obvious. what is there to do in Prague?

Dec 24th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

I am going to Prague on 21st Jan for the footy. I was thinking of making a week of it. I have been to Prague on many occasions so I have seen the castle etc. Not to mention the bars and titty bars and the like.

So what else is there to do in Prague or thereabouts that could keep a chap happy for a week in the middle of winter?

All suggestions gratefully recieved. Hotel and flight booked.
Dec 26th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Well, it will most likely be freezing cold, but I would still hike up to Vysehrad to see the cemetery, if you have never been.
Also, walk up the "Eiffel Tower" on Petrin Hill. Amazing views (bring camera)

Since it's high season for culture, take in a few concerts, operas, the ballet, etc. You will have a chance to see the amazing architecture of the concert halls & churches, while being entertained.

One of my favorite "new" hang-out spots is the Louis Armstrong Restaurant on Italska (skip the one on Cermakova)
http://www.louisarmstrong.cz/

You can always do some shopping at one of the malls (Flora is cool, and I think there is one in Chodov now, also. Another in Vinohrady is small, but nice). Near the Flora mall, you will find the Jewish cemetery where Franz Kafka is buried.

I would spend some time in the local bars drinking mulled wine (and beer, of course - have you tried Kozel?) , and make friends with the locals. They will take you out & show you the town like no one else!

Maybe you should venture out to Kutna Hora & see the bone church. You can take a bus tour. Shopping is cheaper there, too.

Also, there are some nice jazz clubs to hang out at. Also some great art galleries (especially modern Czech artists). A neat gallery is the one in the old mill, overlooking the river, on the Mala Strana side. There is a big chair sculpture that hangs out into the water. They always have neat exhibitions.

Also, near the castle, there are museums & galleries, like the Loreta, that are must-sees. So, if the weather sucks, head up to the square near the main gate of the castle, and look for some of those places. There is also a new Charles Bridge museum that opened to celebrate the anniversary of the bridge.

Anyway, that's what I would do. If you get bored, there's always that limousine that circles Wenceslas Square. It will take you directly to the Darling Cabaret... ;-)
If you have certain interests, post back. Also, just look through a guide book to see what looks neat. Have a great time!
Jan 8th, 2008, 04:05 AM

Chulmondley,

I too will be going to Prague on the 21. What's the "footy"? I've searched but came up dry.

It's my first trip, so I'll be doing the castle, etc.

Jack
Jan 8th, 2008, 04:12 AM
carolinetaylor

"footy" is football (soccer for you Americans) and i believe Cholmondley's team have drawn Slavia Prague and as such means Prague will be full of soft Southerners who can't drink more then two pints getting drunk on the cheap booze!!!

However Cholmondely, i hope you double checked the dates as according to the BBC, you don't play Prague until 13th February.

Jan 8th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

I cocked up the dates. We're in Prague for the 13th Feb.

Jan 8th, 2008, 04:53 AM

Go to visit the "Infant"

Fall on your knees.

Pray for a miracle...perhaps you'll win.
Jan 8th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Given that the team we're playing are owned by us - I should bloody well hope we win!
Jan 8th, 2008, 06:41 AM

The torture museum is memorable and very disturbing.
Jan 8th, 2008, 06:44 AM

Take the funicular up the park, walk along the top until you drop down behind the US embassy, edge along the wall until you are behind the small guard house then leap out shouting and see if the idiot there chokes on his donut
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm. Tempting bilibo, very tempting....

The torture museum is memorable and very disturbing. >>>>

I've been there. It's vile.
Jan 9th, 2008, 12:40 PM

Hi there,
A couple of hours to Mucha's memorable museum - make sure you are there for the English film version before looking through the museum itself. They also have a great museum shop with a large variety of take home souvenirs to family members left at home. (The twin pack playing cards with a choice of Mucha's paintings are especially memorable).
St.Agnes convent museum is also outstanding for a few hours visit.
A day trip to the town of Olomouc by train would also be enjoyable provided the weather is reasonable - and a day trip to Melk near Vienna would also be worthwhile, although a long day.
There are many other day trips (long and short) by train to nearby cities and towns if you need to leave Czech - fares are very cheap in the CR. Cheeers -