Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Other than $, is there any reason not to book Alitalia flights way ahead?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a trip to Amalfi coast in October, flying from Boston to Naples. I found an Alitalia RT that is not a bargain but seems to be what is generally the fare these days (about $1300 each). It is non-stop Boston to Rome, then a 2-3 hour layover before flight to Naples. It would get us into Naples (theoretically anyway) before noon, which would leave plenty of time to get to Amalfi hotel. Return flight is at crack of dawn from Naples but we could stay the night before in Naples and would get us back into Boston in the afternoon with time to spare for getting home to NH. So my question is: other than the potential of missing a bargain fare (which is slight), is there a downside to my booking so early? I feel like these are good flights for reasons of convenience but am a little sceptical about Alitalia. If anyone has any experience or opinions about this, I'd really appreciate feedback.
Thanks a lot.
gailw
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 11:56 PM

We have used Alitalia Boston to Rome on three trips. Two were absolutely fine, the third was the trip from hell because of a group of elderly (our age) Americans from one of the north-of-Boston suburbs who stayed up partying all night. I had two different drunk old bats fall into my lap, something that never happened to me in twenty years of intensive business travel.

The crew did nothing to stop them because all but one of the cabin crew disappear after dinner to sleep in special enclosed seats. That will probably change when the next union contract is negotiated, but for now, it is reality.

I would fly Alitalia again if I were taking a direct flight to Rome and staying there. After all, how many drunken old women can there be? But if I were flying to Naples or elsewhere in Italy, I would probably try another airline.

Friends got good prices and had a good experience last fall flying Boston to Florence through Madrid.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 03:10 AM

airlinequality.com Alitalia

For me many reasons not to fly with them old planes bankrupt for years poor service many delays. Prefer RT direct non stop FCO and FrecciaRosa fast train seat61.com/italy down to Naples always save.

kayak.com/buzz
cheapoair.com options
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 03:28 AM

LISTEN TO QWOIVADIS!! Avoid the airline like the plague.. Check into Swiss Air, yes, it flies into Zurich but has other destinations in Italy doesn't it.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 05:20 AM

qwovadis: Alitalia and its Delta code shares are the only non-stop flights Boston to Rome.

Parrotmom: Swissair has been bankrupt and out of business for a number of years.

OP could fly Lufthansa or a codeshare through Frankfurt. for about $1100.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 06:22 AM

I don't understand why you keep recommending cheapoair, quo. It is the pits!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 07:41 AM

I just booked my Alitalia tickets for September. I found pricing in the same ballpark, via FCO to Bari.

I've flown them at least once a year for the past 6/7 years and I do not find them any worse than any other airline in coach. I did that Naples connection (via FCO, to JFK) a few months ago and had no problem.

QV's post makes no sense to me in any case.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 07:44 AM
ekc

Gail, if it is a schedule that suits you and a price that you can stomach, then I would go ahead and book the flight. One less thing to worry about!
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. My concerns were partly whether Alitalia was known for, or likely to, change the schedule. But I generally don't have the time to haunt the internet waiting to pounce on a cheap flight, and I kind of hate to chance losing what might be good seats on flights that are convenient to our schedule and how far we live from the airport, etc.
I also wondered if there were generic reasons that I was unaware of not to book tickets so early. It's reassuring that eks found similar fares and did this route recently. I did see the lower fares through Frankfurt but just recently read a travel column in our local newspaper about someone connecting in the Frankfurt airport which made me want very much to avoid it. I LOVE the idea of getting on the plane in Boston and when I get off, being so close to our final destination. It's like driving home from work in a snowstorm: there's a certain point where I think "well, if I get stuck, I could always walk home from here!"
I gave a little thought to quovadis's suggestion of the train, and when you say it fast "take the train", it doesn't seem like a bad idea. However, the REALITY of getting from airport to train station, onto the correct train, correlating times etc. after a redeye flight and speaking Italian, was just not within my realm of possibility.
So thanks again, Fodorites.
gail