Oslo to Bergen train trip

Old Jul 4th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oslo to Bergen train trip

Hi - I will be in Oslo at the end of Sept for one day. Planning on taking the train to Bergen for a couple of days. Need some help with what is a must do for our single day in Oslo.

Also, I'm having trouble finding out details about the train trip. I don't really want to do the Norway in a Nutshell tour unless that is what everyone recommends. (I'm traveling with my sister and she doesn't do water well!) Also, does the "regular" train stop along the way for sightseeing? If so, any ideas where?

One more question - what are the must sees for Bergen - we will have about 2 1/2 days for sightseeing.

Any ideas and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 04:55 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about the regular train, but Norway in a Nutshell is really quite wonderful. Absolutely beautiful scenery the entire way. The boat is quite large and unless the weather is terrible I can't imagine it would be a rough ride, so if that would make it easier for your sister, definitely go for the Nutshell tour.
Bergen is great for just strolling. Also, go to the top of the mountain (Floyan) for the view.

In Oslo, don't miss the Vigelund statues in Frogner park. Well worth the time to get there (it's outside of town a bit, but easy by bus - maybe 30 minutes each way if I remember right).
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 05:42 AM

There are three or four daytime trains each day, with a journey time of around seven hours. There is no special train for the Norway in a Nutshell tour; people doing the tour travel on the regular trains.
www.nsb.no
The trains stop at various places, including Myrdal where you can go on the famous branch line to Flåm.
www.flaamsbana.no
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 06:47 AM

We did the Norway in a Nutshell route (Bergen to Oslo) in early May, it was one of the travel highlights of my life. The scenery was truly breathtaking-much more-so than through the fjords of Alaska. The boat segment was smooth so that should not be a problem. On our day it rained (poured!!) while we were in Flam, and we ran into only four other couples in town. We had a wonderful lunch at the hotel and spent time sitting by the fire pit in the lobby until the next train left. The rain obscured some of the views, but not enough to ruin the day. After Myrdal there was the most magnificent snow areas. During the bus and train segments the waterfalls are tremendous. There are really no words to describe the natural wonders that await you if you get off the main train and follow the Nutshell route.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 08:40 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
In Oslo,you should
visit Frogner Park filled with Vigneland's statues, teh Viking Ship Museum is very unique and special, a must see, and go to the new Opera House where you should take a walk on the roof..amazing new architecture, resembles a glacier reaching down to the harbor.
If you have enough time after the Viking Ship Museum, there is a folk museum nearby with a Stave Church..Have a seafood lunch on the Akker Brygge at Lofoten.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 10:21 AM

There is nothing wrong with this thread, but it's not a trip report (as indicated by the trip report icon). Could the OP contact the moderators and ask them to remove the trip report icon?
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your replies - I really appreciate the assistance and I am looking forward to my trip.

MLF611 - I checked trip report on accident and have already emailed a request to have it removed - sorry for the troubles!
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 03:32 PM

Donna,
As stated, the Nutshell travelers use the same train Oslo-Bergen as everyone else. The train makes just brief stops in stations to allow passengers off/on. No sightseeing.
If you want some sightseeing without taking the boat/ferry, you could schedule a train from Oslo-Myrdal with a stop for several hours. Take the train Myrdal-Flam with a 30-minute or longer stop in Flam to look at the fjord from the bottom, then return up the Flam-Myrdal line and catch a train Myrdal-Bergen.

Another possibility is to take the train Oslo-Myrdal, the train Myrdal-Flam, the bus through the tunnel to Gudvangen, bus up to Voss, and train from Voss to Bergen.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Kay2 - thank you very much for the information - I had no idea that we would not be able to sightsee along the way. I think I will look into the other train trips - I take it you made this trip previously? If so, do you think I could book the trains the day of? We are planning on being there at the end of September so I don't think it should be too busy.

All replies - the park is on our list along with the Viking Museum and the Kon Tiki museum. Do you know if we can easily catch a bus or metro to this area? Any suggestions on a good hotel within walking distance of most attractions?

Thanks again to everyone - your help is priceless!
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 07:25 PM

We took a tram/bus to the park to see the Vigeland Statues- sorry I don't know the number. There is a bus to the Viking Museum, however, they had a sudden 4 hour strike so we took a taxi there and the bus back. They were not striking when we were ready to go to our hotel.

The Norway in a Nutshell is a wonderful tour. You will se some of the most beautiful scenery ever. You buy the complete ticket at the railroad station. You leave Oslo on the train - it stops at a beautiful waterfall and you can get off and walk around the platform and watch the water come down.

The boat ride on the fjord is very quiet and not all that long. We stayed overnight at a hotel on the fjord. That was nice as we could take a long walk.

In Bergen, there is much to do. Check online for tourist attractions in Bergen.

Another suggestion is to rent a car - it is very easy to drive in Norway.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 11:04 PM

Both the Vigeland park (many options), Kon-Tiki museum (bus 30) and Viking ship museum (bus 30) are well served by public transport.

I suggest you get a 24 hour ticket for the public transport system. The cost of this ticket is NOK 70 and you can get it at the tourist information office at the Oslo central station, any Narvesen or 7-Eleven kiosk and from the yellow ticket vending machines you'll see many places.

A travel planner for the public transport system in Oslo can be found here: http://trafikanten.no/

Do not buy single journey tickets from bus or tram drives (NOK 40). The cost will be much higher that of buying the same ticket from a vending machine before entering (NOK 26).
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 06:06 AM

Yes, the Oslo-Myrdal-Bergen train is a normal intercity train. It passes through beautiful scenery, but only stops to let people on/off. You can, of course, make your own stops. As mentioned, there is an amazing view at Finse, I think--lake, glacier, etc., but that is about all that is there. Trains are not very frequent (check the timetable online), so if you get off to sightsee in a remote location like that, you might be there awhile.

The train Myrdal-Flam-Myrdal does stop at a waterfall for everyone to get off and take photos.

We booked well in advance for June to get discounted tickets. As the dates grew closer I noticed the first/last trains of the day sold out with the folks making the Nutshell trip, however, the other trains had seats available. It also differs for weekday/weekend. So in my limited experience, I think you can book at last minute for a weekday if you are not picky about the times, but maybe not Friday-Sunday.

We stayed between the Opera and City Hall and liked the location--a few blocks to the shopping streets, a few blocks to the harbor, a few blocks to buses and trams. It was further from the train station than we would have liked because we used it four times, but that was our tradeoff. We stayed at the Rica Victoria, but you will find many hotel recommendations in different neighborhoods here in the forum if you search.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 02:38 PM

bookmarking