Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Oslo or Helsinki ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/oslo-or-helsinki-1083067/)

danon Jan 5th, 2016 02:43 PM

Oslo or Helsinki ?

I am considering a few days in either city this summer ( in addition to Berlin.)
I have been to Copenhagen and Stocholm...

Your input would be appreciated.

thursdaysd Jan 5th, 2016 02:48 PM

I can't say I found either particularly compelling destinations, but if I were going back to one it would probably be Helsinki. Depending on how much time you have you could visit Tallinn from Helsinki. Oslo does have some interesting museums on Bygdoy that take a day to see, the Opera House is worth a look, and you could do "Norway in a Nutshell".

danon Jan 5th, 2016 02:59 PM

Thanks.. I don't like hot weather , looking for interesting , cooler cities to visit
in the summer.
I would gladly go to Moscow again, but the visa is PITA

thursdaysd Jan 5th, 2016 03:30 PM

Northern cities I recommend: Riga, Lviv. Staying in Germany I liked Lubeck and Schwerin, but not in the same league.

nytraveler Jan 5th, 2016 04:00 PM

I much prefer Oslo to Helsinki, which I found rather sterile. Oslo itself is good for 2 days plus the day you land but then you can also make a trip to see the fjords.

Think it would make a good pair with Berlin.

danon Jan 5th, 2016 05:08 PM

Thanks,
travel in the summer is always a search for
good size , cooler cities not visited in the past.

tower Jan 5th, 2016 07:46 PM

Ms. Danon:
I think Oslo has more than Helsinki to warrant a visit. The birch-tree studded forests around Helsinki are attractive but to drive through the ocuntryside would require a car or tour. Stockmann's department store is classic, as is the underground church and the unique Sibelius monument. The fabric shops with world renowned Finnish design could also be of interest. We were there during SSR days and we were enroute back from three weeks in Russia and Uzbek SSR by catching a breath of the west for a week before heading home...over the pole with Finnair.

Oslo has all Thursday has listed and was appealing to us though many Fodorites think it's sub-par as a destinaton. Frogner Park is unlike anything of the kind imaginable? The Munch Museum in Oslo, and his home "Troldhaugen" just outside inviting Bergen are highlights to take in. We enjoyed the NIN Oslo to Bergen.

I'll post some Helsinki and Oslo pics which may give you an idea or two and a feel for each town. I say "town" because neither gives off a citified aura. Being from Toronto you'll know exactly what I'm saying.

Spoiler alert: my pics are not prize winners by any stretch of the imagination....but they are sort of, shall we say, informative in preparation for a visit.

danon Jan 5th, 2016 08:07 PM

Thanks Mr. Tower for your suggestions .
Very helpful.

tower Jan 7th, 2016 09:57 AM

My Picasa album seem to be having a problem with this thread and I haven't been able to post Helsinki and Oslo.
I seem to be able to post pics everywhere else. Can you suggest another of your threads and I'll try again.

tower Jan 7th, 2016 10:00 AM

well the post, sans pics went through, so I'll try to jiggle the Picasa output and see what happens.

tower Jan 7th, 2016 10:43 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...t-helsinki.cfm

For Ms. Dannon:

Since Fodors is not helping, I think the only way around getting you the Finland and Norway pics is by using another thread, so I picked one on Helsinki which could be of inetrest to you also. Hope you don't mind. Enjoy yourtravel

ticino Apr 27th, 2016 08:15 AM

I would go to Oslo and stay at the Thief and go to the opera.

I have been to Helsinki twice and I hope I will never have to return. There is something very depressing about Helsinki, and that the people don't seem to enjoy conversation and can be quite rude doesn't help. For instance, on my first visit I arrived by taxi, it was raining heavily and I had one big suitcase and a carry-on as I was continuing to Asia after my meetings. The driver parked on the other side of the street and refused to drive me to the hotel's door (Klaus or something similar). This was a wide street with lots of traffic. A couple other situations like this, that I have never experienced anywhere else and I was in Helsinki for only two days.