Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   orvieto underground tour (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/orvieto-underground-tour-106234/)

sally Feb 15th, 2001 11:12 AM

orvieto underground tour

has anybody done this. do you have any info?

Mary Feb 15th, 2001 11:46 AM

Hi Sally, <BR> <BR>I went on the underground tour in June, 99. We signed up at the tourist information office (across from the cathedral) about an hour before. I don't remember exactly how long it was or how much it cost - maybe 30 - 40 minutes and less than 10 USD. Next time I plan on keeping a journal when I travel. The tour was very interesting from both a historical and geological perspective and I found it to be well worth the time and money. Some of the passageways are a bit tight but not enough to be a problem unless someone was very claustrophobic it shouldn't be a problem. <BR> <BR>Mary

gb Feb 15th, 2001 11:48 AM

We thought of doing the tour. However, when we arrived in Orvieto, the English version of the tour was only twice a day, and quite expensive, so we didn't do it. However, we did take a self guided tour through some small Etruscan ruins below the town, and visit the little museum.

gb Feb 15th, 2001 11:50 AM

PS. This was last summer. And I believe the tour at that time was more than $10 a person, but like the above poster, I didn't keep a journal.

sally Feb 15th, 2001 12:01 PM

where do you go for the self guided tour? we (family of 4) are just going to be there for an overnight. The underground seemed like it would be interesting for all of with our without a formal tour. we'll be staying at Hotel Palazzo Piccolomini. any orvieto must-sees would be appreciated.

Beth Feb 15th, 2001 12:13 PM

We did this tour in September '99. When we arrived in Orvieto, we parked near the train station, and at the tourist office we bought a combo ticket which included the tram ticket, the underground tour, admission to the clock tower, unlimited use of the town buses, admission to the fresco chapel in the Cathedral, and maybe something else (museum admission?). I can't remember how much it cost, maybe 10-15 USD per person. But it seemed to me like a good deal. We then had to sign up for the tour at the tourist office near the cathedral. It was about an hour, or maybe a little less. We liked it quite a bit. It would have been quite boring without the tourguide. Its not that they are so much to look at, its just interesting. By the way, I'm fairly claustrophobic, and didn't have too much trouble, except for one narrow passage. You actually can see outside from any of the caves.

sally Feb 15th, 2001 05:24 PM

thanks for the info. there's not much about it in my books. you all a wealth of information!-) <BR>

gb Feb 15th, 2001 07:09 PM

The unguided tour- was not really an underground tour. It was a walk through an Etruscan cemetery. I don't really know what the underground tour covered. Anyway, the cemetery was on the road up to Orvieto. You can get a map in the city, and ask at the tourist information office across from the cathedral