Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Orvieto: train station and car rental places

Jun 7th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

As I said in my Chiusi thread, I'm looking to coordinate a drop off of a car with a train to Rome.

In Orvieto, the office or offices for dropping open at night, and the train I want is at 9:58.

Is the train station down int "the flats" or up in the old town? I can't imagine it would be up in the town, but I don't really know. And what about the car rental places? Any near the train station? Or are they all near the train station?

I hope someone has experience with this. Thanks.
Jun 7th, 2007, 07:52 AM
DRJ

The station is, indeed, in Orvieto Basso. As you exit the station, cross the street, walk left around the gas station on the corner. Across that street is the Hertz office. (I'd be surprised if they're open that late.)
Jun 7th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Hi tuscanlifeedit,

We dropped our car in Orvieto and it was very simple. Train station and office are as described by DRJ.

I know you visit Italy often, so have you already enjoyed Orvieto? If not, I would highly recommend a whole day there if possible. Lots to see and do! Drop the car, find a place for luggage, and see the duomo, Have a wonderful dinner, etc. before your train.

Buon viaggio!
Jun 7th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Don't forget to try the gelato place just to the left of the duomo (if you're facing it). Best gelato in all of Italy. The chocolate and the riso, especially.
Jun 7th, 2007, 12:32 PM
DRJ

I always rent cars in Orvieto because I don't want to drive in Rome and the train trip is only an hour. (And always timed to enjoy lunch at I Sette Consoli.)
Jun 7th, 2007, 12:42 PM

My Hertz car from autoeurope was a cinch to pickup as noted by the posters before me. I wish they were all that easy.

We left Rome by train and picked up our car in Orvieto the day after spending a lovely evening there.

Worth the stop.
Jun 7th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Oh my, I just reread my message and is it ever full of typos. My only excuse is that I was up all night. I'm going on about 32 hours without sleep right now.

I have been in Orvieto. My DD threw up and I spent the afternoon there trying to get her back in shape to leave town with the rest of our group. Bad memory.

But this time I am doing this trip for someone else, and I want to make it as easy for them as possible. They're traveling with two kids, and only really have two nights, and about a day and a half in Rome. I would like to get them into Rome with the least amount of trouble.

So they will leave Montalcino early in the morning (they are very early risers) and drive to Orvieto. Michelin says it takes about an hour and 40 minutes, but I want them to be there in Orvieto when the Hertz office opens at 9 (not at night, as I typo-ed earlier). The train leaves at 9:58.

This is better timing than Chiusi, where the office opens at 9, and the train leaves at 9:35. I have had to wait for Italian car rental offices to open past their stated time, so I don't want them to risk it. They're just a tad high maintenance, and I don't want anything to be too complicated for them. They have never traveled in Europe before.

Michelin says that the walk from the Hertz office to the station takes 7 minutes, so they should certainly be ok. And two can take the luggage in and buy the tickets, while the other two return the car.

They are staying at Castello Banfi, and the folks there should be able to buy their train tickets for them.

So, tell me, does this sound good to your experienced Tuscany travelers?