Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Orvieto to Florence by train - day trip??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This summer, my husband and I will be staying in a villa near Orvieto - we will have a car but were thinking of taking a train into Florence just for the day. Is this too far for a day trip and to enjoy a bit of Florence? Would it be better to drive to Florence? We've been to Florence before and the main attraction for us would be to hit the Uffizi. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 06:57 PM
GAC

Make it a daytrip by train. It's absolutely worthwhile.
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 10:46 PM

a day train will be fine, be aware that there are more than one train station in Florence
Old Feb 15th, 2011, 11:56 PM

If you drive there is a carpark on the outskirts of Florence. To be honest i can't remember exactly where and it's just a single level area near some lovely gates to the city. But you may have read the other threads about people getting tickets in Florence to driving into restricted areas etc. The train sound much less stressful. And as Graziella says, there is more than one train in Florence so check in advance exactly where you are going. Your trip sounds lovely, how long will you be in Orvieto?
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 06:18 AM

Since you already "know" Florence, a day trip from Orvieto will be easy to do, as long as you don't mind about 2 hours each way for travel.
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. Cathies, we'll be around Orvieto for a week. We plan to explore that area but really want to see Florence again. Two hours by train each way will make for a long day but not too bad. Appreciate everyone's input.
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 09:24 PM

"Two hours by train each way will make for a long day"

But not nearly as long as driving there, finding somewhere to leave the car, then getting into town.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 04:27 AM
ira

Hi JR,

A daytrip by train is easy and worthwhile.

This might help you:

A DAY IN FLORENCE:

Train to Florence SMN:
The Luggage Office is to your left as you leave the train.

From Piazza d' Stazione, walk up via Nazionale to via d'Ariento and the Mercato Centrale, wander through.

Take any street going NE to Via Degli Alfani and go right to the Accademia for The David.

Take via Ricasoli SE to the Duomo, the Baptistry and the Opera Museum (Originals of the bronzes on the doors)

From the Campanile, take via Calzaiuoli S (do some window shopping) to the Piazza d' Signoria. Look around, take a break.

Continue S to the Uffizi. Visit.

From the Uffizi, walk W along the Arno River to the Ponte Vecchio.

(You can walk up to the Pitti Palace and the Boboli Gardens if there is time. Great views of Florence from the top of the Gardens)

If you have time, walk E along the S bank of the river to Ponte alle grazie and cross over to visit Santa Croce.

If not, go W along the Arno from Ponte Vecchio to Ponte S. Trinita and go right. Go left on Via d'Spada to via d'Fossi and go right to Santa Maria Novella. Look around.

SMN is across the square from the train station.

If you have time, take the no. 7 bus (you can find it at the SMN train station) up to Fiesole (0:20 hr 1E) to watch the sunset from the terrace of the Bar Bleu.

Be sure to have lots of gelato (in a cup, not a cone), take some wine breaks and a light lunch.

Train schedules, prices and tickets are at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
Call center from outside Italy is 39-06-68475475

Bus routes are at http://www.ataf.net/
Buy your ticket before you get on the bus. Stamp it in the yellow box on the bus.

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
You can purchase tickets online at http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/english/musei/uffizi/
Or call the museum booking line on +39 055 294883, open during Italian hours from 8.15 am to 5.50 pm Tuesday to Sunday for the English-speaking operator.

Have a nice visit.

Old Feb 18th, 2011, 05:42 AM
DRJ

As an aside, don't miss lunch (or dinner) at I Sette Consoli right on the main street of Orvieto. Memorable.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 07:03 AM

Grab some coffee and pastries and get on an early train.

I can't imagine only spending one day, though. I love this city. Have you seen the sunset from Piazza Michelangelo? Have you been in Santa Croce, the church that contains the tombs of Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli? Fabulous. Close to the Uffizi. (And you have been to the Accademia, yes? to see David? It's just a couple blocks away from the Uffizi.)

Have fun!
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your tips. Ira, I've printed out your suggested itinerary for the day - many thanks; sounds perfect for us!
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 01:03 PM

Jranger, in addition, that stretch of highway is often very jammed up, so that's another reason to take the train.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 12:58 AM

Plus you can have a nap on the train on the way back to Orvieto if you are tired.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

AND I can have a glass of wine (or two). Definitely will take the train into Florence. I agree that one day will be a huge rush but it's better than no days! Still a few months away but I'm soooo excited.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 08:18 PM

There are two options for Accademia. Book tickets in advance before you go, or leave it until the end of the day - about 5pm. The day trippers and tour groups will mostly be gone and you will only have to queue for 5-10 mins to get in. It's open until about 7pm but one hour would be plenty of time. Then have dinner and head back to Rome.

Sounds wonderful, I wish I was going.....