Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Orvieto to FCO timing? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/orvieto-to-fco-timing-431043/)

jgita May 12th, 2004 12:02 PM

Orvieto to FCO timing?

Hi,
My husband has to leave us in mid-trip. We will be near Todi and Orvieto. His plane leaves FCO at 10am. How early does he have to get the train? There is one at 5:12 am but I'm not sure if it goes to the airport or just to Rome and then he has to transfer. How much longer would that take?
Does anyone know the name of the airport train stop to put in as destination in trenitalia.com? I just put Roma and got that schedule. Do you all think he can make it or would be better off going to Rome the night before?
We are trying to make the best of an unfortunate situation for him. At least he can come right back the next day, but talk about jet lag...
Please advise!
j

BATUFFOLINA May 12th, 2004 12:34 PM

Considering that you should be at the airport 3 hrs ahead therefore at 7 am and that from Orvieto it is about a 2-3 hrs drive, I would suggest that you spend the night before in Rome and then take the Leonardo Express shuttle train to Fiumicino, there is a train every 20 minutes or so.
Try to write Fiumicino Aeroporto on the Trenitalia web site, you should have the schedules then.

nina May 12th, 2004 02:04 PM

3 hours ahead of time?????

Is this some kind of restriction for FCO or Italy only?

I've been sticking with my one hour preflight check-in ever since the hysteria of 9/11 passed. I'm serious, you aren't really telling me that people go to the airport 3 hours ahead of time? Why?

BATUFFOLINA May 12th, 2004 02:21 PM

For intercontinental flights you should be there AT LEAST 2 hours prior the flight departure. But Fiumicino sometimes tends to be really congested. Last time (november 2003) I flew from Rome to Los Angeles on American Airlines I arrived there 2 1/2 hours ahead my flight, upon American Airlines's advice, having called the airline the day before. They had told me that I should have been there 2-3 hours earlier, so when I arrived there (7.30a)there was already a long line in front of the counter (and the flight was leaving at 10.00A). So, yes, people do gt there 3 hours ahead.

One hour is for domestic flights.

bobthenavigator May 12th, 2004 02:59 PM

The 5:12 will arive at termini at about 6:27. From there, the FCO express train will take :45, but he will have to walk and buy ticket--so call it 6:45 or arrival at 7:30.
That is plenty of time--2 hours prior is adequate. Just check trenitalia.com for train times ON THAT DAY OF THE WEEK

jgita May 13th, 2004 09:33 AM

Thanks to all for the quick response.
Bob-- I thought this message didn't post. (I sometimes have trouble with Fodor's and my computer getting in sync and get "web site not responding" which is what happened when I posted this question) Anyway, sorry to you for the redundancy. You continue to be a great and generous source of information.
j