Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Orvieto Station Equivilant for Florence??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 03:12 PM
Mary Susan

We are planning a trip into Rome by parking the car in Orvieto and taking the train into Rome (so we don't have to drive in Rome). We need the car for the rest of the trip and will be going next from Rome to Florence. Is there a similar train station where we could leave the car outside of Florence and take the train in? Getting cold feet about the idea of driving in Florence (and we really don't need the car there). Thanks for any advice.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Sherri Kardell

Dear Mary Susan;<BR>ditch your car in Florence it's almost impossible to drive and even harder to park. As a second alternitive you could take the train from Rome to Florence and take a day trip from Florence to Orvieto that's what I am doing in Oct. I am not sure if you planned to stay the night in Orvieto or not.It's about 90 minutes from Florence to Orievto.I got the info.here on Fodors you could do a search for more info.<BR>Happy trails

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 05:31 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Drive straight to the stazione in Florence and park in the large garage there and do not touch your car until you leave. That is the easy way.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:08 AM
Alice Twain

Why would you need to use a car? Train connections between Rome and Florence are excellent. In any case, if you really wanto to use a car, I suggest you to move closer to Rome. The train trip from Orvieto to Rome takes more than an hour. Leaving the car in Orte would mean travelling by train for 45 minutes (although Orte is a far less fascinating city than Orvieto, but you might stil visit Orvieto than go to Orte by car and stay in Orte just long enough for catching the train). Another good option might be leaving the car at the Attiliano-Bomarzo station, using a few hours for exploring the incredible Bomarzo park and its statues. Also you might drive to some village in the Castelli area and take a train from there.<BR>Getting into Firenze you might leave your car in Prato or Sesto Fiorentino, which is already into the Florence area but not yet into the really crowded area.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Mary Susan

Alice, thank you very much for the input. We will be travelling around Germany, Austria and Italy for 3 weeks, so that is why we need the car. We would like to use it only for the longer distance drives and just park it for all the cities. I really appreciate the suggestions.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Alice Twain

If the car is a rental car, than You might leave it as you enter italy and travel all the way through italy by train, Maybe renting another car for a couple of days as you move through southern Tuscany and Umbria. In any other case moving aroung by train in Italy will be cheaper and more comfortable.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 06:23 AM
ellen

When we were staying in Castellina, we drove north to Florence (sorry, I don't remember the route number) and at the first exit to Florence, stopped at a small commuter parking lot and got the bus from there. About half an hour right into the main train/bus station.