Ortisei (Val Gardena Valley)

May 18th, 2019, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Ortisei (Val Gardena Valley)

Looking for feedback on hotels, easy hikes, Must Do experiences and good to know info. Does four nights sound about right? Weather range looks to be 70F to 45F in Jun? Wont have a car. Would Selva be a good alternative to Ortisei?

Last edited by sembach; May 18th, 2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: add question
May 18th, 2019, 10:41 AM

Selva, Santa Cristina and Ortisei are very close to each other. I stayed in Ortisei at Hotel Grones, which I can recommend, and jogged in the mornings to Santa Cristina. Four or five nights sounds good to me. I believe I stayed five nights. I had perfect, sunny weather and would have liked to stay longer. I didn't have a car, just used public transportation, although I did book a taxi to and from Bolzano.

There is a well-organized tourist infrastructure and any hotel will have maps, perhaps the Gardena Card, and more. There is also a good tourist info center in Ortisei.

I mostly took long, strenuous hikes, although there certainly are easier hikes around. And of course there are rifugi in which to stop and snack.

Walks in the Dolomites - Walking Holidays Val Gardena (Italy)
May 18th, 2019, 11:58 AM

I stayed in Ortisei and did not venture to Selva or Santa Christina. I found Ortisei delightful—attractive, charming, a perfect size, three lifts to take you to a variety of hiking options. The Alpi di Siusi, https://www.seiser-alm.it/en/, is a vast, gorgeous, undulating meadow with lots of trails for gentle hiking.
May 18th, 2019, 01:49 PM

We also loved staying at Hotel Grones. The staff helped us plan our hikes, using gondola up to one side of the valley and the funicular to the other side. Breathtaking scenery. The town is charming too. We could walk from the Grones to the escalators down to town and left our car in their garage our entire stay. Very nicely appointed rooms. Delicious meals were included, breakfast and dinner, during our stay.
May 20th, 2019, 01:14 AM

Ageee with suggestions for Hotel Grones.
We have stayed three times and love it - indeed just trying to work out if we can manage another visit later this year.
Staff very helpful with walks and lots to choose from. Amazing views on even the easiest walks!
The town is lovely and we have never had car. We used our hotel provided passes for bus and had hotel organise collection from train.
May 20th, 2019, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited by sembach; May 20th, 2019 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Typing error
May 23rd, 2019, 11:04 AM

We stayed in Hotel Dignon last , and will again this Sept. Had perfect June weather (about 72 each day). Enjoy.