Summer Italy Trip

Search

Summer Italy Trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2018, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer Italy Trip

My husband and I are traveling to Italy over the summer. This is our second time to Italy and we have already done Rome and Florence. He however has a meeting in Florence from June 28- July 2.

Below is our proposed itinerary. We would very much like to hear thoughts on whether this makes sense.

June 19th depart New York
Arrive June 20th
June 20 through June 24 in French Riviera
June 25 through June 27 Tuscany + Cinque Terra
June 28 through July 2 meeting in Florence
July 3 through 7 Amalfi Coast
Leave for New York on July 8

Anything we're missing? Too much or too little time in places? We're not big wine people, but like exploring towns/cities and antiquities/ruins.

We're looking at probably flying into Milan and out of Rome to get a good trade off of cost and flight options, but aren't too sure about this itinerary.
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 11:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd just think a bit about the Amalfi coast in July, it will be packed with tour coaches and other tourists. I might look at Bologna and Ravenna as more fun places to go at that time.
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So on June 25 you're going to travel to Tuscany and Cinque Terre from the French Riviera? Unless you teleport, that will essentially give you one day for both of those places, and Tuscany is vast, and the CT will be mobbed. You won't have any time at all to "explore," as you claim you want to do. It's like saying "on June 25 we're going to leave NYC and do the Hamptons and New England, leaving on the 27th."

I also would stay away from the Amalfi Coast in July, but if you must...
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 12:19 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If I planned to start on the French Riviera, I would fly into Nice, not Milan. I think Delta has a non-stop flight from NYC.

>>>June 25 through June 27 Tuscany + Cinque Terra<<<

You could possible see CT area in that amount of time, but certainly not along with Tuscany. I would forget the French Riviera and spend my time in Italy since most of your trip is there. Looking at flying into Pisa from NYC (Delta non-stop seasonal), visit CT the first few days and pick up a car in La Spezia as you are departing. Head to southern Tuscany (Siena?, Pienza?, Montalcino?, Montepulciano?) and then onto Florence for the meeting.

Take a train from Florence to Amalfi area (perhaps to Salerno would be easiest and then grab a bus, ferry or driver to Amalfi). You could allow 3-4 days there and then go on to Naples for the last few days. Fly home from Naples. To depart Rome means you need to spend the night before in Rome, not the coast which is too far away.