madrid to seville

Search

madrid to seville

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
madrid to seville

We are a group of six people travelling for 2,5 days from Madrid to Seville. Your forum helped me deciding of visiting Seville.We are thinking of sleeping in Cordoba on the first night (March 29th).
We are renting a mini van from barajas airport.Is there a way to do this itinerary avoiding highways and having more cnance to see picturesque places?
Thanks
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 04:53 AM

No. Follow the road and make side trips.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

any suggestions on where to stop?
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 12:19 PM

What picturesque places are you trying to see?

for 2.5 days I would take the high speed train to Cordoba and then Seville.

The road from Madrid to Cordoba is rather unremarkable, as I remember. There is much more to see in Andalucia, IMHO

-e
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 12:28 PM

We took a similar route. From Madrid we drove a short distance to Toledo and stayed there overnight to experience the city at night - very worthwhile. In the morning we continued on to the small city of Almargro - not much out of the way at all and a relaxing, delightful place where we stayed at the Parador Almargro. The Parador was once a convent but is now quite luxurious. We enjoyed the Parador experience as well as strolling around Almagro. From Almagro on to Cordoba and then to Seville.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 12:33 PM

That should be ALMAGRO
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Toledo is a different story of course, if they have enough time. With 2.5 days for Seville, Cordoba, and more picturesque places it just didn't occur to me, sorry
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM

I agree with enroute. There is more to see in Seville and Andalucia than between Madrid to Seville (not counting Toledo as it isn't really due south of Madrid).

I would note that with your minivan you may not be able to navigate the very narrow streets in many, if not all, the small villages in the area. We had a compact and even with the mirrors folded in had only a couple of inches to squeeze through some of the very narrow passageways!

2.5 days isn't much -- even for Seville alone -- so if you can the high-speed train is a great idea.

Old Feb 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM

excellent point about driving the minivan in small/picturesque places.

I am not easily intimidated by narrow winding roads, but driving a small sedan in Arcos, with some near-death experiences, and having to fold rearview mirrors to get thru some streets, tended to detract from the experience

If you do attempt, beware of seemingly one-way, narrow and winding one-lane streets that are really two-way, by some strange arrangement I have yet to master...
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 03:29 AM

My suggestion is : Almagro, and Ecija. Both are not the kind of towns you'd find difficulties driving through. Besides, you can park and walk. Cordoba is a nightmare to park, and I'd do it as an AVE daytrip from Seville.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 03:57 AM

Betweem Madrid and Cordoba you're going to pass through a small mountainous area. Heading South, there's a great place to stop and take some photos. That area is called "Despaña Perros" (sp?). Literally this means tossing the dogs. Maybe if you google this term, it will give a better explanation.

In any case, it's a good place to take a coffee and relax a bit.

Blackduff
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 04:01 AM

Here's a site about Despañaperros.

http://www.spainview.com/andalucia/ja005.html

It's worth a stop.

Also, check the map and see if Cuenca is too far from you road. This is nice too. It's a bit East from you road.

Blackduff
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 06:05 AM

I have a route for you that may spice up an otherwise kind of boring drive:

Madrid-Toledo
Toledo-Consuegra
Consuegra-Seville

Start early, early, early. If driving straight to Sevilla it is about a 5.5 hours ride. Stop in the AM in Toledo (beat the crowds, get there early, early, early). Then from Toledo to Consuegra where you can visit and take pics on the amazing windmills and castle; check http://www.bamjam.net/Spain/Mancha.html (in 1998 I hiked the side of the mountain on to the adjacent Castle!). I have been to Kinderkik in Holland (renowned for its old windmills) and this line of windmills in La Mancha are, in my view, just as or more spectacular. I just loved it. My favorite book growing up was Don Quijote de La Mancha and been in this place blew my mind! Take a Michelin map with you, only real travelers know about Consuegra and it is very easy to miss the turn.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 07:23 AM

ttt
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the feedback
unfortunately 2,5 days is all We can get. we are travelling to Spain on business.We need to be back in Madrid on Monday evening.
That's why I thought that we can rent a car at Barajas and travel to Seville spending the first night in Cordoba and Sunday night in Seville.
We opted for the car rent because we will be carrying too much luggage and it's also cheaper for 6 people instead of taking the AVE train.
I'm sorry blackduff I know that ttt means to the top but what am I supposed to do with it?
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to add that we aren't stopping at Toledo on the way because this is a day trip that we'll have next Saturday 5th April just before we leave.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Hey kat! RE: ttt

Blackduff was been nice to you with ttt; this brought the thread to the top so more people can see it and comment on it. That was sweet.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Kat
Only a 2,5 days is very quick. Yet, you can visit both Sevilla and Cordoba. Do Not, I repeat, Do Not leave any luggage in the car while you're elsewhere.

From Madrid to Cordoba is around three hours of driving. Check into your hotel and then visit the city.

Same for the next day.

I used to drive from Cadiz to Madrid (Getafe on the edge of the city) in five hours. I only stop one time during the trip.

Just keep rolling.

Enjoy

Blackduff
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

thank you all. Blackduff you do you put your post back to the top?
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 03:52 AM

I second Viajero2's recommendation of Consuegra. We stopped briefly there last year on our way from the south to Toledo. Driving north, you can see the windmills to the west before the junction to the town. Once off the highway, the route is clearly marked.

Consuegra is justly famous for its windmills, all named with Don Quixote references. The tourist office is inside the first one; you can go upstairs for a peek of the mechanism. Then drive out past the fort to the other windmills.

There was a father with his two little boys flying a kite when we arrived. A bridal couple showed up for pictures. We ate our picnic lunch inside the car, as it was just a bit too cool and windy to be pleasant eating outside on the otherwise brilliant spring day.

Very picturesque views of the surrounding countryside, and well worth the slight detour.

See Australian travel writer John Huxley's view: http://tinyurl.com/2zktf7