Organ Concert at Westminster Abbey

Mar 19th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Janet

Organ Concert at Westminster Abbey

Has anyone attended the Sunday afternoon (5:45 p.m.) organ concerts normally scheduled at Westminster Abbey. We'd love to enjoy organ music in such a setting. Recommendations?

Mar 19th, 2002, 03:46 PM
janis

yes - several times. They are wonderful. What do you mean by recommendations? For other venues? Anyway thete are concerts (organ and other types) in many London Churches. Especially check out St Martins in the Field and the church in plaza at the Barbican (I am having a senior moment and can't remember the name just now).

St Martin's has several concerts every week and the one at the Barbican often presents Baroque concerts.

Mar 20th, 2002, 11:39 AM
dan

We have attended two of these recitals.
They are amazing! My wifes #1 highlight of both trips. it is about a 35-45 minute recital, informal, just show up at the door 5 minutes before at starts and sit and enjoy! I believe St pauls has a similar recital each sunday afternoon.

Mar 21st, 2002, 03:18 AM
Patrick Wallace

I think Janis was thinking of St Giles Cripplegate. Since this is right beside the Guildhall School of Music, I would imagine there might be some good concerts there.

Mar 21st, 2002, 05:53 AM
Ben Haines

Dear Ms Bryan,

There are organ recitals in seventeenth century churches any weekday at lunchtime all over the City of London (meaning, the area of the medieval city). Just south of St Paul's Cathedral is a tourist information pavilion, which will give you a free monthy list of music in City churches.

Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London.

Ben Haines

Mar 21st, 2002, 10:54 AM
janis

Thanks, Patrick, that's it. I eventually remembered the name of the church but then I couldn't find the thread.

Search this Thread