Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ordering clothes from the UK to Portugal (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ordering-clothes-from-the-uk-to-portugal-997072/)

paulagreen64 Nov 6th, 2013 06:38 AM

Ordering clothes from the UK to Portugal

Does anyone buy clothes from the UK and have them delivered? I have been seeing a lot of advertising from UK retailers saying that they now deliver to Portugal...

I would assume that as the clothes have a long way to travel in the post that there's a chance of them being lost/damaged...

Thanks

hetismij2 Nov 6th, 2013 07:06 AM

I've ordered clothes, and lots of other things from the UK for delivery to the Netherlands. Never had a problem, even when I have had to return goods.

I recently ordered a couple of things from Marks and Spencers, sent one back and got a prompt refund from them.

flanneruk Nov 6th, 2013 08:12 AM

Does CTT have a reputation for mishandling post?

Cross-border ordering of clothing from the internet is hardly something new: Mrs F spends half her life getting clothes from foreign retailers - and though few quite match the photo and need to be sent back, we've never had anything damaged in transit (or "lost in the post"). And in our professional life (we advise clothing retailers) we've never heard ant horror stories, except for some notoriously dodgy places

If CTT's not up to it, then there's obviously a whole nuther story. But I doubt there's a problem there.

BomDiaLisbon Nov 6th, 2013 08:35 AM

I've ordered things from Amazon UK and they've arrived here quickly and without problems.

Cathinjoetown Nov 6th, 2013 09:11 AM

We order from the UK (to France) quite a bit, although amazon.co.uk often ships from Germany, depends on the product. We also use John Lewis, Marks and Spencer, Land's End.

We have had problems with a few orders, one from Land's End went walkies somewhere along the line. Land's End send a duplicate order so no problem for us. Some get delayed in Toulouse for days, we've decided they wait until they have several deliveries in our direction before delivering, although we're under an hour from Toulouse.

If you order online from vendors within Portugal with no problem, you probably won't have any problems with orders from the UK.

BigRuss Nov 6th, 2013 01:49 PM

You actually consider UK to Portugal a "long way"? Seriously? It's 978 miles (capital to capital) - shorter than San Diego to Seattle.

I've ordered spirits in the US from a retailer in NY, which is more than 1300 miles from me. No problems.

I've ordered shirts, ties, shaving supplies and books from the UK and I'm 4700+ miles away. The only item that ever arrived damaged was a book that the <u>seller</u> didn't pack well. All other items were fine. The clothiers packed their wares in plastic bags and boxed them.

If you're worried about the UK end, don't - the sellers tend to pack their goods well and the post treats the packages with the requisite level of respect. If there's an issue, it'd be on the Portuguese end.

Alec Nov 6th, 2013 02:28 PM

Also being intra-EU trade, there is no issue with customs, duties or VAT - you just pay UK VAT at 20%.

paulagreen64 Nov 7th, 2013 02:14 AM

Thank you for all of the responses on this.

I didn't realise so many people bought clothes from abroad - I'm obviously behind the times - (once again!)

I've had a scout around the websites of some of my favoured retailers to see their delivery info and costs.

I've placed an order with Cotton Traders & Amazon :)

Thanks for your help & advice.

Paula

hetismij2 Nov 7th, 2013 04:59 AM

Have a look at Amazon.es too - they may have what you want, closer to home (lower delivery fees/times hopefully!). Of course some knowledge of Spanish would be helpful, but not essential. I regularly order from Amazon.de and I don't speak a word of German.