Search

Orangerie and Paris restaurants

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:38 PM
epi
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orangerie and Paris restaurants

I am trying to get two questions answered at once. We are going to paris in Spetember. Has the Orangerie re-opened ? Also, normally we have good meals at relatively inexpensive restaurants in Paris, but if you were choosing one more expensive restaurant, what would it be? Years ago we ate at Tour d'Argent and had our only bad experience in Paris with a truly obnoxious Maitre d'. That turned us off fancy restaurants, but are ready to try again if you all can suggest some. Thanks.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:43 PM

The Orangerie has not reopened. I believe it is scheduled now to reopen next year, but given its track record, that may be extended again.
Can't help with the really expensive restaurants.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:55 PM

Years ago we ate at Lucas Carton. Food was among four or five best meals I've ever had, and the restaurant is gorgeous. Service was very good, but we felt we'd been stuck in the American section. More recently we ate at Taillevent and Laurent. Taillevent is elegent, the service is perfect (truly) and the food is about the same. Would return in a heartbeat -- it isn't as stuffy as it looks, but it is far from easy-going. Laurent is much more lively, the food is fabulous and the service is more upbeat (but a tad less professional seeming than Taillevent). Would eat at any of these again with pleasure.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 04:01 PM
ita

I certainly would be happy "to be stuck in the American section". It's a way to be in a less smokey atmosphere. While on the subject, Chez Maitre Paul, which has been touted on this site as being non-smoking is anything but. The man next to us was smoking a cigar. The maitre'de tod me it has never been non smoking. The Sarrasin (good crepe place) on Ile St. Louis is completely non smoking.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 05:05 PM

When I have a bad experience with a waiter or Maitre'D, I either complain to the manager or just don't go back to that restaurant. I would never cut off my nose to spit myself by not going to another good restaurant.
Truly "good" restaurants in Paris have excellent service, the waiters are proud of a job well done and are usually helpful.
You are doing the right thing this time by doing some homework, some places are getting along on old reputations.
I would recommend my two favorite places from my last trip to Paris.
Le Violon D'Ingres and Helene Darroze.
They are beautiful restaurants, the service is impeccable and the food is pretty good too
Look through the old Paris restaurant threads here in the text search, see what names come up the most.
Have a great time!
Old May 22nd, 2003, 05:06 PM

I have no idea where that happy angel face came from!
Old May 22nd, 2003, 06:29 PM

Le Grand Vefour in the Palais Royale, just off the rue du Rivoli, is a lovely and romantic Belle Epoque restaurant; it has either 2 or 3 Michelin stars. Colette, Sartre and their ilk were habitues! Reserve a month ahead for dinner, 3 wks for lunch.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 07:00 PM

Because of your title and subject, I am wondering if you mean the restaurant L'Orangerie on Saint-Louis-en-l'Ile. As far as I know, it is currently open and is supposed to be very nice and not that expensive in comparison to la Tour d'Argent. I've read several comments of those who like it, and it's often cited as one of the most romantic restaurants in Paris. I think dinner is only about 50 euro per person.

Here's a review I found of it in English:
http://www.leclubparis.com/english/r...rie=Restaurant
Old May 22nd, 2003, 07:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Why go to just those famous ones on eveyone's list?
There are lots of great places to eat
We can all give you names of our favorites bistros or brasseries.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 06:58 AM

If you are referring to L'Orangerie on Ile St Louis, we walked by it, when visting there two weeks ago. It was closed for lunch but looked like it was opening for dinner.

Don't miss the gelato from Amarini on Ile St Louis....it was fabulous!

Another good restaurant we ate at was called L'Rotisserie D'Enface on Rue Christine in the 6th. Very good and not too smokey.