Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Options for transportation from Copenhagen airport to town - Hotel Admiral (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/options-for-transportation-from-copenhagen-airport-to-town-hotel-admiral-788976/)

julieann Jun 9th, 2009 03:47 AM

Options for transportation from Copenhagen airport to town - Hotel Admiral

I will be arriving in Copenhagen on the 12th. I am traveling alone after a long flight and would like to know my options from getting to my hotel. I was told a taxi would be approx. $50. Is this accurate and is it easy to find a taxi? What is the public transportation and how easy is it. I am mid-fifties and do not mind if I have to walk some, but after a long flight I do not want to have to deal with too much hassle or get lost! Thanks for your help. I am staying at the Hotel Admiral located not far from the Little Mermaid.

Dukey Jun 9th, 2009 04:35 AM

Check this out (airport transportation)

http://www.visitdenmark.com/internat...genairport.htm

you might at least consider taking the train into the city and a taxi from there to your hotel

julieann Jun 9th, 2009 04:48 AM

Thanks - is there just one train to take or .... a certain one I need to get on. Does it just make one stop in city or what stop to get off?

julieann Jun 9th, 2009 04:51 AM

I am sorry I am sure my last response was not clear. Is the train or metro the best bet and which stop? Thanks.

jayelle Jun 18th, 2009 10:04 PM

Hi julieann,

I think the address of the hotel you're staying at is Toldbodgade 24 -- correct me if I'm wrong.
If that's the case, I think your best bet is to take the metro.

You can take the metro right from Copenhagen airport. You'll take the M2 line (there are only two, the M1 and M2) towards Vanlose. You get off at Kongens Nytorv station -- this should take less than 15 minutes.
From Kongens Nytorv it's a short walk to Toldbodgade (less than 10 minutes).

You'll have to buy your metro ticket at an automated kiosk located right on the metro platform... but if I recall correctly, the machine doesn't take bills so you'll need to have Kroner in change (I think it takes credit cards...I couldn't use my Mastercard from Canada because it doesn't have a chip, but if yours does then maybe you'll be okay).

Anyway you can check this all on rejseplan.dk and also on Google maps to get a more detailed map, esp. for the walking part from the metro station to your hotel.

Hope this helps! Have a wonderful time in CPH -- it is a great city

jayelle Jun 18th, 2009 10:07 PM

PS -- I would strongly recommend against taking a taxi.. like everything in Denmark, they are ridiculously expensive (at least compared to North American fares). The metro is super easy, extremely clean and not super crowded, you just go straight to one stop without having to switch lines, and it comes pretty much every 5 -8 minutes or so, so no worries about missing it and waiting a long time for the next one.

ilovenews83 Jun 24th, 2009 10:11 AM

Hi JulieAnn,

My parents are also arriving sometime around the 12th to go on the Holland American Baltic cruise. Are you also on that?

How did you find out about your hotel? I have been given the task of booking them a hotel for the night before the cruise (after flying in) and the night after it ends (before flying out).

Anyone else with suggestions on hotels--please respond! My parents are late 40s, able to walk a bit, but would like to be in a location that is very easily accessible to airport and also to where cruise ships leave.

Thanks!

travelgourmet Jun 24th, 2009 10:54 AM

Hopefully not everyone has given up on this thread (is it the 12th of June or July?), but here goes:

To julieann - The Admiral is within walking distance of Kongens Nytorv station for the metro - maybe 5-10 minutes. Don't worry about the distinction between M1 and M2, since all metro trains from the airport will go there. To reach the metro, just walk straight ahead as you exit baggage claim. There will be a DSB counter on the right, just before the escalators - you can buy a ticket there. Head up the escalators (or the elevators, if you prefer and keep walking straight to the metro.

Don't take the regular train, which is downstairs.

Should you be tired and just want a taxi, then it will run between DKK 200 and DKK 250, which is roughly $50. They are easily found, just turn right as you exit baggage claim and head out of the door between the check-in counters and the ticket office. Virtually all cabs in Copenhagen take credit cards (Mastercard, Visa, Amex), though they do charge a small service fee. Still, probably no more "expensive" than changing money, and you don't have to bother with changing money right away.

There is a Starbucks (the only two in Denmark are at the airport) to the right of the baggage claim exit if you need a morning coffee.

One other note - While the Admiral isn't exactly far from the Little Mermaid, it isn't really close either. It is much closer to Nyhavn.

ilovenews83 - What is the budget? However, assuming that you are looking for a decent, upscale hotel:

The Admiral is a good choice. This is the "good" end of the Stroget. It is readily accessible to the metro, as discussed above.

The Marriott is an excellent hotel, with fantastic rooms. From the airport, you can either take a taxi or you can take a train to Central Station, turn left out the main entrance and walk straight down the "hill". The Marriott will be along the river to your left. Probably even closer to the train station than the Admiral is to the metro. The area is a bit less directly in the action, but a short walk to Tivoli and the "lesser" end of the Stroget. They will try to upsell you to the canal view rooms - I wouldn't bother, the views over Tivoli are just as interesting.

Should they like Danish design, then the SAS Royal is a masterpiece by Arne Jacobsen. Rooms are small, though. Still, a very solid 4-star place.

Finally, the most convenient hotel to the cruise terminal is the Adina. This is a very comfortable hotel with studio-type rooms. The bar is pretty nice. But this area is a bit dead. There are some offices and some apartments, but nothing much in terms of restaurants or nightlife. It is near the Little Mermaid. Nonetheless, distance is relative in Copenhagen and an easy 15 minute walk (much of it through parks or pleasant side streets) will have you at Kongens Nytorv. To get there, you could take a cab or take the train to Osterport and walk from there (5-10 minutes).

To get to the cruise terminal from anywhere other than the Adina, I would count on a taxi. From the Adina, it is a bit of a walk, but I can't imagine a taxi will make the trip, so you will have to walk it.

travelgourmet Jun 24th, 2009 11:01 AM

One other option for hotels, should your budget allow it, is Nimb. It is literally built into the walls of Tivoli. Very good restaurants too.