COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

options for short term apartments/studios/discount hotel rooms in London or Paris

options for short term apartments/studios/discount hotel rooms in London or Paris

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 08:14 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi all

might be heading overseas to pound pavement for a job. anyone have any lodging suggestions?

I do have friends in London, but unless they offer don't want to impose so asking to be put up is out of the question.

thanks y'all

Beth

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 11:55 AM
Christina

I don't have any suggestions for London, but know a bit about such options in Paris, but it really depends on your budget as that can range from hostels up to expensive ST vacation apt rentals (of $150+ per day). I do know some foyers (French term for sort of rooming house, often used by students or interns or low-paid workers) or budget residence hotels that are a step above hostels, but much cheaper than a hotel. If you have plenty of money, there are tons of ST apt agencies or apartment/hotels (like Citadines, Orion, Villa) in Paris, but their rates are definitely about $125/day and up, maybe $100 in smallest studio in nonprime areas. If you want real cheap and don't mind roughing it more or less, I would recommend these foyers/residences which are more about $25-$50 per day: FIAP Monnet in Montparnasse (www.fiap.asso.fr), www.pierreetvacances.com (one in Montmartre near Charles Dullin square isn't bad, but this agency seems to close their residence hotels for the winter). An Assn of foyers is www.unme-asso.com. Now these are real cheap, just above hostel -- I've heard the Foyer International des Etudiantes on bd St-Michel is pretty decent (and age limit is often not adhered to) although they claim you must be student, you can find some on there that will also except "workers" (traivailleuse) such as Foyer Ste Clotilde in the 8th arr. You can also see some "student" housing on www.locaflat.com (who also have a decent selection of some relatively cheaper ST apt rentals in Paris compared to the agencies that cater more to Americans on vacation with lots of money to spend). www.vacationspot.com has private owner ads, I think, and those are often cheaper than agencies. Finally, one place I was considering last summer as it was in the area I wanted to stay and looked decent was very cheap in comparison to others, only about $50 a day for a studio in the Montparnasse area (the one near Vavin metro) is www.parisaptrentals.com (I know nothing about them, just know that is a good price). You can find some cheaper apts (often due to being in outer arrondisements) at PSR also (www.yourhomeinparis.com) and they sometimes do have winter specials.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 12:23 PM
Peg

Beth, I just returned from a trip to Paris and had a very good experience with www.aparisianhome.com. I was traveling with a friend and we rented a one bedroom but they also have studios at very reasonable prices. Check their website and if I can answer any questions, send me an e-mail. I also know of a woman that has a room in her home that she rents for 400ff per night (with breakfast). It's on rue Maitre Albert in the 5th. There are many inexpensive hotels but you probably want cooking facilities. My friend stayed on in Paris for two weeks and was able to negotiate a great deal at a nice 3 star because of many cancellations. Hope this is helpful, Peg

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 12:54 PM
Linda

In London you might try Chequers Hotel. I don't know a lot about it, but Virgin-Atlantic uses it for one of their vacation fly/stay options, so they must be a decent quality.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:17 PM
robdaddy

Hey, Beth: A site you might want to check out is vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner) Lots of listings all over town, most seem to offer price breaks on stays of a month or longer, and after recent events, you might really be able to negotiate something quite affordable. By the way, where do you live? I only ask because of your use of our wonderful Southernism "y'all"...we are in southern Virginia, and I've often wondered if there is a French equivalent for "y'all"...guess you'd have to be in Provence or Languedoc to know...Anyway, good luck with the apt. search and the job hunt. Let us know how you make out. Robdaddy

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 03:34 PM
RJD

Try John Knutson at www.parisholidayapts.com. He has a good selection of Paris apartments and treated us very fairly when we cancelled at short notice.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 04:15 PM
Lauren

Email : [email protected] (Pascal Zytomirski)

I rented an apt in the 7th through him when I was in Paris in August 2001 and had great luck (and a reasonable price too). Pascal speaks perfect English, by the way. He is an agent for some private owners.

He will send you the list of apts. I rented the studio on 11 rue Duvivier.

Good luck!

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 06:37 PM
c

Hi, try Manors and Company in London, long/short term rentals on apartments all over the city-very nice.web address-www.manors.co.uk/ and also , a good one is www.barclayweb.com.
Hope this helps~

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 03:39 AM
Susan

You might want to try Ibis just outside Euston Underground/Rail station in London. I believe it is about 59 a night per ensuite room but it is comfortable & clean (similar to Travellodge), and does a great breakfast buffet for 6.95 last time I went. It gets booked up so book ahead. Don't go to Euston Square Hotel. I went there about 6 years ago and it was a dump, very old fashioned and more expensive.