Options for getting to the Athens Hilton from the airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to finalize details for our trip.

For our family of 6 (all adults), I am trying to understand what the best options are for getting from the airport to the Athens Hilton. I know we could take a cab but I am reluctant given the comments about watching the meters and the fact that we will probably need two cabs.

Is is smart to hire a car ahead of time? Any recommendations for a private car?

Is public transportation recommended (given the pick pocket concerns I have read about)?

I have sent an email to the hotel however, given the great advice on this board, I wanted to see what the true experts had to say.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 07:45 PM

The Athens Hilton is very close to the Evangelismos metro stop (blue line), its just a walk across the street and there is an elevator. It's on the same line as the airport and if I recall correctly, its a 30 minute ride.

I found the metro to be very easy and clean, and in some of the stations they even have excavations.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 08:06 PM

The Airport Express Bus X95 makes a stop right at the Athens Hilton. It leaves the airport every 20-30 minutes, 24/7/365 from outside Arrivals Door 5 and the trip takes 45-75 minutes depending on surface traffic. Tickets are 3.2 euro each. The ticket kiosk is also outside Door 5.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM

One taxi from the Athens Airport to the Hilton should be about 35 euros, so if you take two the cost will be 70 euros. That is about 12 euros per person.

There are limos available at the taxi stand at Athens Airport. I believe that they are about 90-100 euros for a trip into Athens.

Please do not be afraid to take taxis in Athens. I've never had a problem.

Thin
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

BLL, Kak113, ThinGorjus,

Thanks for the information. I feel more comfortable now. I think we will take the bus or metro to save some euros.

BTW...No response from the hotel yet. I knew this forum would come through .
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 11:28 AM

The Metro pickpocket phenomenon seems to be largely on the "Green Line" route to the Piraeus ferry dock. This line is heavily tourist, and crowded when people flock on from ferries. Also, has a lot of cruise-ship people, who are not used to looking after themselves (or, ahem, even taking public transporttion). Thus they standing jammed together, bemused at the novelty of he experience. That's when a sudden bumping occurs, and whoops! a wallet goes. From the postings, it almost always seems to be a man who insists on keeping wallet etc in his pants pocket, not a woman (who keeps her stuff in a day-bag clasped in front of her). Often a guy complains, I had it in a velcro pocket, but then I got jostled, and ...

THe Airport Metro line starts AT the airport, thus there will be plenty of seats for your party. Only advice: have your luggage in front of u, ready to get up, and start getting up the stop BEFORE your stop, if there's a crowd, so you can work your way to the door.

Myself, unless it's a rush hour & I have a need to hurry, I always take the bus. So easy. It's right outside the airport front door. Big central space in it, to stack bags. YOu can sit down & zone out. And when it gets to SYntagma Square, no big rush to get out.

NOTE: For either transport VALIDATE your ticket or you risk a heavy fine if inspectors come along. FOr bus, punch it in a pole-mounted box inside bus. For Metro, watch others, punch ticket before going to platform.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Travelerjan for the advice on validating our ticket. You probably saved us from a potential bad start to our trip .
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 07:08 PM

Stayed at the Athens Hilton at the end of our Mediterranean cruise. We used points so the assigned rooms are not always the best rooms, but this time we had a great view of the Parthenon. Ask if one is available. It's a beautiful sight at sunrise!
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Leburta,
Just put in the request at the hotel. Thanks for the advice.

Richard,
Thanks for the info. I have sent an email to the link you provided.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 06:52 PM

I would definitely not take the metro to the Athens Hilton as it will be a major pain with luggage. Listen to those who recommend the bus or a private car/taxi-you don't want the hassles of the metro after flying that long on the plane.
I use the metro in Athens for everything else as it is clean,easy and safe.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 07:04 PM

yes brotherleelove004 has it right. i did this transport not knowing any greek, whatsoever, and it was easy cheap and no pick pocketers as its 3 or 4 euros to get on! Airport Express Bus X95
- the ticket booth is conveniently located at the doors of the airport exit, just look for the X95 sign. then get on the X95 bus and it goes straight into the center and you get off! simple! enjoy!!