Options for Car Pick Up Near Paris

Old Nov 14th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Options for Car Pick Up Near Paris

Hi all,
I would really appreciate some advice, and perhaps a dose of courage, regarding car rental out of Paris to get us to the Loire Valley.

Typically, we would take the TGV to Tours, pick up in Tours---simple, right? But, due to a wierd confluence of factors, that plan won't work.

Those factors are:
-an inflexible arrival date (it's complicated, we're staying with a host from a previous trip who can't change her dates)
-our arrival date also turns out to be a French National holiday, so at least some regional car rental offices will probably be closed (for example, Sixt has a popup javascript window announcing that their Versailles branches are closed that day; Europcar doesn't seem to have that warning)
-The Tours Europcar no longer has the 4-person wagon car size they had 2 years ago. (I'd prefer not to get a smaller car with the kids, luggage, and the amount of driving we'll be doing over 2 weeks.)
-Also, we'll actually be going from London to Tours---in one day if we can. Even if Europcar were to have the car we want, making the trip on trains (Eurostar then TGV to Tours), it would be a 6+ hour journey.

So... we thought we could shorten the process and fly from London to Paris (Orly or CDG) and drive from there. That lands us at CDG or Orly. At that point, we could either:

-pick up car at Orly?
or
-transfer out to Versailles or Chartres or _________ (fill in the blank with some other nearby town) and pick up the car there. I'd be interested in the one with the easiest connections from the airport.
or
-pick up car at CDG... um... no thanks. I'm not feeling confident enough to do that.

What do you all suggest?

Thanks in advance for the problem solving!
-skatterfly
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Sorry to top my own post... but I just went directly to the Europecar website (instead of Autoeurope)... and they do have a pop up about being closed for the national holiday. Drat.

So this means I would essentially have to pick up at Orly if I must travel that day. Is leaving Orly as intimidating or complicated as leaving from CDG?

Less desirable would be to leave London a day or two earlier, plan to pick up the car and then spend the night in Versailles, Chartres, or ________________ (again, fill in the blank with your suggestion)... and leave for Tours on our planned arrival date.

Ideas, reassurances?

Thanks,
Skatterfly
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 03:11 PM

We picked up our lease car from Orly and headed down to the Loire Valley. It was very easy finding our way and not intimidating or complicated at all, especially with GPS. I too was scared after hearing the comments about driving in Paris. This is not IN Paris at all. You will be fine.
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 03:24 PM

We've picked up at Orly without problems. I'd book that and not worry about it.
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 07:44 PM

Auto Europe will match or beat the Europcar rate. Remember the difference is that if you book through Europcar, you will be charged the CDW and will not be able to use your American based CC to cover the basic insurance as required.

Also, if you find a car offered on Europcar, but not on Auto Europe or Kemwel, give them a car and they should be able to make the arrangements, we do it quite often for both ourselves and our clients.
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 11:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Going straight from Orly seems the best option given the complicated circumstances.

And Robert, yes... very good advice and worth repeating. AutoEurope is great and I always use them for the actual bookings.