Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Options Bath to Stourhead (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/options-bath-to-stourhead-707761/)

specs May 24th, 2007 12:40 PM

Options Bath to Stourhead

I will be in Bath over a long weekend. I would like to go out to Stourhead on Saturday, but I have no car. Car rental is not an option for me as I can't seem to get the hang of driving on the left.

I've checked the rail and bus schedules but they seem to take a very long time to arrive at a destination that is only 25 miles away.

Does anyone know of a tour company in Bath that does day trips to Stourhead?

Or, if I hire a driver, how much can I expect to pay? In the event I can afford this option, I'm not sure how much time I'll need to tour Strourhead. Is this a 4 or 8 hour day trip?

Thanks for all suggestions.

ElendilPickle May 24th, 2007 03:08 PM

We were just there a week or so ago (nostalgic sigh). We just toured the gardens, and stuck to the main long path around the lake. It took a couple of hours.

Lee Ann

specs May 24th, 2007 06:10 PM

Ms. Pickle,
Did you go to Stourhead from Bath? How long did it take you to drive?

Did you notice any tour buses or mini-vans in the parking lot at Stourhead?

Some company must offer a day trip from Bath. If not, here's a golden opportunity for some enterprising Fodorite.

janisj May 24th, 2007 06:19 PM

Stourhead strictly limits the number of group tours/buses each day. I think only 8 or 10 are allowed. And most of them will be multi-day tours. So I don't think many commercial day-trip tours go there.

You could probably take the train to someplace like Frome or Warminster and a cab from there.

Steve_James May 25th, 2007 01:20 AM

Hi Specs - When are you going? I'll be at Stourhead this afternoon so I'll check for you.

There are no excursion buses from Bath. Your best public transport option will be via Frome - from where there is a Saturday morning bus service to Stourhead.

Stourhead is a 40-45 mins drive from Bath. By bus it'll take nearer 1.5 hrs.

I'll post back later ...

Steve

ElendilPickle May 25th, 2007 02:24 PM

We left Bath around 2:00 and got to Stourhead in about 45 minutes to an hour - probably closer to an hour since I remember taking at least one wrong turn along the way.

It's really worth it if you can get there.

Lee Ann

specs May 25th, 2007 04:59 PM

janisj:
The Warminster and Frome routes look reasonable. Do you have any information on cabfares in this region?
Mrs. Pickle:
I am a shade of dill green as I think about your lovely time at Stourhead.
Steve James:
It would be lovely if you can gather any info on your trip. Enjoy your visit!

Steve_James May 26th, 2007 03:24 AM

Specs - I always enjoy a visit, but then ... I live here :)

Hope you're visiting in the next week or two - Stourhead is at its glorious best right NOW )(- mid-May to mid-June).

http://www.armin-grewe.com/holiday/w...ead-garden.htm

OK - it's easy enough from Bath via Frome on a Saturday.

From Bath:

X80 Gillingham service (- dep Bath bus station 11.00 - Bay 3) via Frome.
Arr. Stourhead 12.30 approx

Return Stourhead-Frome service No.80 leaves Stourhead 16.05.
(Operator: Frome Minibuses)

Frome-Bath service (267) runs hourly.
Dep. 17.15

Hope this helps ...

Steve

P.S. Don't even THINK of doing it by taxi (- it'd cost 2 days car hire).

Steve_James May 28th, 2007 01:59 AM

ttt

specs May 28th, 2007 08:34 AM

Steve,
Thank you for your very helpful reply. The public transit options you suggest look perfect.

I had given up hope of ever getting to Stourhead as I had just received a reply from Bath Tourism proposing a route which took more than 2 hours, didn't leave until 13:40, included 4 changes, two longish walks between stations, and an 8 minute walk to Stourhead. I would arrive at Stourhead shortly before closing time. In addition, I was advised that I would be stranded as there were no options for a same day return journey.

Although I'm used to the quirks of travel, this seemed like more adventure than I bargained for.

Somewhat dispirited, I re-contacted B.Tourism to inquire about hiring a driver. I was sent a long list of companies where I could rent/drive myself. I recieved all this news with rueful laughter and a great gnashing of teeth since left lane driving has proved harrowing for myself and all other drivers within a 500 mile radius. I expect there would be a ripple effect on traffic at least as far as Cornwall or Surrey. On a bright note,however, I could possibly be hired by Bath Tourism. My left lane dyslexia would come in handy when writing circuitous and useless itineraries for unsuspecting travellers.

I imagine Stourhead is glorious this time of year. However, I will be studying in Oxford the first 3 weeks of July. So my trip to Stourhead would be on one of those weekends or for a few days immediately following.
While Stourhead will not be at its peak, I know it will still be enchanting.

Again, many thanks for your helpful information and quick response.

Steve_James May 29th, 2007 07:17 AM

Specs - I hope you enjoy your visit - Stourhead is one of my favourite gardens in England.

Steve

P.S If you're interested in a cream tea or coffee in Frome, I can recommend 'The Settle' or 'La Strada' in Cheap Street