Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arrive CDG at 8:10a on Thursday, October 3. Help w/ planning first day.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read enough posts to know, arriving at 8:10a is not to be counted on! Hence our waffling on the plan for this first day. Our general itinerary is 3 nights in Burgundy on the front end of the trip and 6-7 nights in Paris after Burgundy w/ a day trip to Champagne and possibly one other day trip to Giverny or Versailles (have done once, but would do again) or I am open to hearing other a suggestions. We traveled to Paris in April 2012 and saw the most recommended places except Sacre Coeur/Monmarte.

We have two options:
1) After arriving CDG, take RER/Metro to a hotel in Paris, leave our carryon suitcases secured until check in. We have the option to stay at the hotel in St. Germain we are using for our stay after Burgundy or we can stay at a different hotel such as near Gare du Lyon or one we might consider for a future visit. We could leisurely take in one or two sights in Paris that we did not see in April 2012. I do not think a museum would be appropriate since we will be tired. What about a hop on/hop off bus? I am thinking Sacre Coeur/Monmarte is top on my list, but will that visit be an ok choice with travel hangover? I would have Lunch and Dinner planned, but nothing to expensive/extravagant and we would retire early to bed for an early train Friday to Dijon/Beaune.

2)Upon arrival at CDG buy a train ticket to Dijon/Beaune . My husband is opposed to buying this in advance since we have the unknown of exact arrival time of our flight. We have an option to do a 1:30p Discovery Tour w/ Authentica Tours on Friday from Dijon, but my husband does not feel comfortable about our belongings being stored in the minivan during the tour.
We could have lunch and dinner planned and retire early. We wanted to stay in Dijon for first night or two, but all Fodor/Frommer highly recommended lodging was booked. So we have reservations for nights one and two at Hotel de la Poste in Beaune and night three and at Hotel Wilson.

We have no car rental at the moment, but may do a one day only for Saturday and or Sunday. We do not want to drink and drive. So how does one manage to be so disciplined when driving around to all these wineries!!! I guess we can take turns being the DD. Seems like a tour is the best choice, though.

Thanking you in advance for your advice Fodorites!
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 10:58 AM

go on an organized tour of the wineries--ask your hotel or search on line for one.

i'd move right on to Dijon, rest on the train.

why are you so concerned about arriving on time? where are you coming from and on what airline..
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 11:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
me too - I'd move right onto Beaune.

you'd be very unlucky not to make it there before nightfall, if your flight is timed to arrive at 8 am.

you don't make it clear what day you arrive - is it the friday? I wouldn't plan to do anything else on that day apart from travel, settle in, the odd glass [or two] of burgundy to get you in the mood - so no tours. but i;m sure that your hotel [or the tourist office] could arrange you a tour for Saturday.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 11:35 AM

Just keep on going since you have time in Paris upon return. Let the jet lag wear off, early dinner in wherever you decide to go and to bed. Next day will be an "on their time" day and you'll be fine.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 11:38 AM

oops - just failed the comprehension test. i see that you arrive on the thursday.

so why would you be storing your gear in the minivan on Friday? I thought that you had nights 1&2 in Beaune.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 11:54 AM

Go right to Dijon. And go online starting 3 months out from your date of travel and get the cheap tickets. If you just buy them when you land you'll pay the highest price possible. Buy them for a train that leaves 3 hours after your stated time of arrival and you'll be fine. Planes aren't routinely late enough into CDG to cause the average train passenger, at least one who's planned ahead properly, to miss a train. You need to go online anyway to figure out exactly how you'll get from CDG to Dijon (it's not all direct trains, I don't think).

I don't understand the luggage in the minivan issue, either.

Your hotel or the tourist office can arrange winery tours for you.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

rhkkmk-Flying Delta from Atlanta. Several posters have shared late flight stories that caused them to miss a scheduled train trip.

annhig and StCirq-sorry for the luggage confusion. I put it in the wrong place. If we do option 1 staying Thursday night in Paris and traveling Friday to Dijon, we have a wine tour option at 1:30p departing from Dijon but we would have luggage to store since Friday night lodging is in Beaune.

4 votes for traveling onward! 0 for staying in Paris
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 12:51 PM

<< Several posters have shared late flight stories that caused them to miss a scheduled train trip.>>

Then they probably failed to heed the conventional wisdom that one should schedule a train for no less than 3 hours after the stated landing time. I have taken hundreds of flights into CDG, almost every single one of them followed by a train ride, and have yet to miss a train except for the one time years ago when my traveling companion lost her ticket and we had to stand in line forever to get another.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 12:58 PM

FFF,
I would also go right on to Beaune on Thursday. Buy a ticket for a TGV leaving from Gare de Lyon to Dijon and then onto Beaune. The TGV you might make leaves at 11:58 and there is another in the early afternoon. I would check in at La Poste. Get settled and have an early dinner. On Friday take the train to Dijon for your Authentica tour. They pick up somewhat near the train station. Either take a train that gets you there in time to take the tour or go up to Dijon in the morning and wander around a bit before your 1:30 tour. Then its back on the train to Dijon for Friday evening.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 01:21 PM

You don't need to go into Paris to the Gare de Lyon. There are trains from CDG at 11:38, 13:38, 15:38, and beyond leaving right from the airport, with a quick change in Lyon.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 01:22 PM

I meant to add those are trains to Beaune.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 07:22 PM

s/b no problem getting to CDG on time
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 07:23 PM

hurricane??
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 08:57 PM

FFF
As an update we are in Beaune now. From CDG we took a taxi to Gare de Lyon and then the TGV to Dijon, then a local train to Beaune. We looked at the CDG to Lyon option, but decided against it as it was a much longer trip. Either way you decide to go, you will enjoy Beaune it is a very nice town with many restaurants and sights we have just begun to explore.
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 01:43 AM

thanks for reporting back, waterdog.

it's good to hear that your trip is going well.
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much waterdog for the update!

We took your advice and have booked a 14:53 train from Gare de Lyon to Dijon and plan to buy the Dijon to Beuane tix in Dijon. We have probably allowed more time than necessary, but my husband says we can can exchange our ticket for an earlier train if that works out.

As much as I don't want to get back on the train the next day to Dijon, I think Authentica Discovery tour out of Dijon on Friday afternoon is our best option. A company called Vineatours is recommended by Hotel Le Cep and Hotel de la Poste, but the only reviews I read are from 2010 and are not good. They are two hour tours out of Beaune morning and afternoon at 52E.

Keep us posted on your trip as time allows.
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 09:58 AM

There is something to be said about not worrying about the exact time a train leaves and trying to get tickets ahead of time to save some money, and this is less than a month from now so you can't get them 3 months in advance. Some of those runs aren't discounted that much in the morning, anywa.

Also, you don't waste time waiting around if you get in early (some of my Air France flights to Paris routinely arrive 30-45 minutes early) and there isn't much delay.

But yes, I have had flights arrive 1-2 hours late due to weather problems upon departure, also, anything can happen. If you want to save some money and possibly wait around a lot, you could get them for 3 hrs after arrival time, I agree that would be a good target point if you want to do that as you need to get out of the airport and to Gare de Lyon in Paris, I'd expect about 2 hours for that. You can't take a train from the airport to Dijon, unfortunately, at least not direct.

But I wouldn't push your husband about this if he just wants to wait until you get there, as I don't think it's worth it, either. But have a train schedule with you so you have an idea of departure times. It looks like the first option would be the one at 11:23 am for 27 euro, the regular fare is 55 euro. The one at 10:23 (which you might make if you got in early) isn't discounted now much anyway, it's 43 euro vs. regular 55 euro, but you wouldn't book that in advance given the time frame. If you miss the 11:23, there is one at 11:58. There are a couple others in there that are TERs and take a lot longer time (an hour extra in travel).

So you could save 28 euro each by buying nonrefundable tickets now for the 11:23. I'd probably do that, but some people do have trouble buying them online. One advantage is you could preprint them at home most likely and not waste time in line, also.
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 10:38 AM

" You can't take a train from the airport to Dijon, unfortunately, at least not direct."
For those landing later in the afternoon, there is a direct train to Dijon but it leaves from CDG at 8pm (2nde class= 15€ Prems ticket to 50€ Plein Tarif 1h45 trip).
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 12:06 PM

We took the 11h58 train from Gare de Lyon. Our in bound flight was over two hours late in arriving. It landed at 10AM but we got lucky in the immigration line as there was none, but you can't rely on that. Also since we were past "rush hour", (if there is any non rush hour on the roads to Paris), our trip to Gare de Lyon only took 45 minutes. But you can't rely on that either. If you can rebook for an earlier train once you get to GDL, that is a good plan. The 14h53 train or earlier seems very doable. Earlier as Christina suggests also might be also OK
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 12:24 PM

If you find yourself at the Gare de Lyon with time to spare, you could buy your tickets from Dijon to Beaune there and have them in hand when you arrive in Dijon. In fact, you could also buy your tickets for the next day's trip Beaune-Dijon-Beaune. Just don't forget to stamp/composter those tickets before boarding the local trains.

If you're not planning another visit to Dijon, I would definitely plan to get there in the morning and take time to explore this beautiful city a little before your tour. You can pick up a map for the Owl Trail at the Tourist Office near the Dijon station. We stayed in Beaune, took the train to Dijon (~20-30 minutes), and walked much of the trail. I'd love to get back there someday to see some of the sites in more depth, but am so glad we saw what we saw during our brief visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -