Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Opinions wanted: Tour Atlantic Coast area or tour the Loire Valley?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After my language course in mid-June, located near La Roche Sur Yon, I will have only 4 days to tour? I've never been to the Vendee, Britanny or Normandie, nor have I been to Chateau country. I will be driving alone (no helping navigator). For those of you who've visited these areas, would you have any recommendations? As to what I like, my tastes are extremely eclectic - I would take a detour to see the world's largest ball of twine and I would stand in line for a tourist site. Love history and languages.
Any suggestions?
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:27 AM

We've spent about a month touring Brittany & Normandy, and another month in the Loire over the past 15 years. We're returning to Brittany in Sept for 2 more weeks.

I much prefer Brittany. The Loire is kinda one-dimentional, IMO. I love Chateaux (visited about 30 this year - none in the Loire), but about 3 per day is my max, and after that, I don't think the Loire has as many diverse things to do & see as Brittany does (which has very nice chateaux also). I think the countryside of northern Brittany is much more charming than the Loire coutryside. I also think northern Brittany is prettier & more interesting than southern Brittany. I prefer Brittany over Normandy also. Don't know Vendee.

I have a small itinerary for visiting Brittany & Normandy. e-mail me at [email protected] if you want a copy.

Stu Dudley

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 12:49 PM

You can do the Loire anytime, even as a daytrip from Paris by train and then bus and be back at dinnertime, so leave that one for another trip.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the itinerary, Stu, and thanks for the "Loire anytime" advice. That confirms my suspicions. Onward to research the area!
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 08:27 AM

In the latest Fodors e-mail newsletter, Fodors had an article on overrated tourist destinations. It listed the Loire Valley as one of those overrated destinations. If you search this site, you might find the article.