Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Opinions please: Pueblos Blancos or Malaga for 2 nights?

Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 2 nights toward the end of our first trip to Spain and I'm trying to decide which option is the best for us because we don't have time for both.

Our trip is at the end of September into early October. Prior to either of these we will have visited Mallorca then Seville, Cordoba & Granada. For these few days we're looking for a contrast to cities and we will have a car regardless of which option we go with (FYI: no car in the cities, we'll pick it up as we're leaving.) I have Malaga booked but, after reading about the Routa de los Pueblos Blancos and then looking at images online, I wonder if Pueblos Blancos might be more interesting? Photography is always at the top of our list of interests. Also, on these couple days we're really not looking to spend lots of time visiting historical monuments, palaces, etc. It's kind of a couple days to decompress and do something different.

One option I've considered is renting a car in Seville and taking a day to drive the Routa de los Puebos Blancos on our way to Grenada. I realize it's an out of the way option to get to Granada but, it was one way to do it. Prior to this I was planning on taking the bus as it seems most efficient way to get from Seville & Granada.

After Pueblos Blancos or Malaga we head to Madrid by train. It seems like Malaga is a good option because there's frequent high speed trains from here. It looks like there's a couple less frequent and slower trains from Ronda so, still doable. If we do opt for Pueblos Blancos, we'll probably stay in Ronda as it seems like a good base.

I read a few older posts and people here don't seem to like Pueblos Blancos too much. I enjoy visiting hill towns in Tuscany and this kind of reminded me of that (although, not exactly of course). Any thoughts?
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 07:53 AM

Well maybe they are more charming to see from afar than to stroll around? We really had parking problems, in Ronda and another that we went to - sort of detracted from the enjoyment / charm. Don't expect as much english to be spoken, esp. in smaller ones. I think the drive to Genada is a good idea, then down to Malaga for the fast train to Madrid.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

I take it parking is limited or non existant? No public parking like have for many Tuscan hill towns? Specifically, one of the towns that looks very nice is Arcos de la Frontera.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 08:26 AM

It's been awhile - maybe eight years, so others can post if this is no longer true. I think in Ronda we parked in a big lot for the parador but it wasn't really public parking. For the other, was it Mijas? we spent quite a bit of time cruising in and out of the village looking for parking - finally parked out a ways and walked up. I was a little nervous we could find our find our way back to our car - not really any signs or map (and all the houses are white!) so we just didn't wander around too much in the town.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 08:31 AM

Parking is difficult in many of the white villages, but not impossible. Ronda and Vejer both have parking garages. Vejer also has some great restaurants, Ronda's not quite up to it as yet.

Most of the white villages south of Ronda are worth a stop, including Vejer, but it is a long drive from Malaga.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I'm actually trying to decide between Pueblos Blancos and Malaga since I don't have time to do both. The only alternative that I've come up with is to drive from Seville to Granada via the Routa de los Pueblos Blancos. If I did that, I wouldn't stay in that area and would keep my reservation in Malaga. Is Malaga worth a 2 night stay?
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 08:58 AM

Málaga is worth more than two nights. We just spent three and wanted to stay longer, but had to get back to Madrid. The city has changed the last 10 years or so, a cultural rebirth since the opening of the Picasso Museum in 2003. It's easy to walk around with most of the old quarter being pedestrianized. You should enjoy your stay.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 09:20 AM

Since we are coming to the end of our 3 weeks in Andalucia I can relate my impressions of Malaga and the Pueblos Blancos. If you are looking for a change from the large cities you mention then Ronda would give you that change. Malaga I felt was another large city in Andalucia.

We spent 2 night in Ronda with a car which our hotel, the San Gabriel, provided discount parking in the community lot. Since we had already visited a couple of the white villages and our second day in Ronda was going to be a rain day we decided not to drive while there. The hotel was wonderful and we found much to enjoy in Ronda for the two days.

We spent one day in Malaga but felt our 4 day stay on the Costa Del Sol the least enjoyable of our time in Andalucia. Driving in the city of Malaga was a pain even on a Sunday. We found so much to enjoy in Andalucia as a first time visitor and I'm sure you will also. Deborah
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 09:30 AM

I agree with Robert 2533, as I believe that Malaga doesnt get the praise it should. Driving round it may be difficult in which case why drive round it, unless you have no choice? It has a delightful atmosphere and great tapas bars. Smaller places may have great atmosphere but you can do them in half a day to a day whereas Malaga has plenty to keep you occupied. That said Granada maybe a better option but I cant comment as I have never been there.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Oh my gosh, had I looked at our hotel confirmation prior to making this post I would have noticed we're not actually staying IN Malaga but instead the provence of Malaga. Ugh, so sorry. We're staying in the town of Casares which is near Estepona. So it looks like we're about 1 hour, 15 minutes from Malaga. Closer to the white towns I suppose.

Thanks for your opinions. DeborahAnn, funny you mentioned rain. I never imagine it's going to rain on our vacations --especially here but, always a possibility I suppose.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 10:16 AM

Since we tend to travel in May or September, we usually encounter rain-- rain seems to love my travel plans !! We are staying two nights in Granada currently and the weather has been cool and rainy --- the smart people are wearing winter coats--- the tourists are wearing shorts and sandals LOL.

PS---compared to Arcos, Vejer and Grazalema and other white villages we saw from a distance Ronda doesn't seem or look as much like a "white village" it has so much color!! Deborah
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 07:10 AM

The major flamenco festival in the world goes on in Sevilla Sept 12 to Oct. 5. The finest flamenco artists in theaters around town every night. A night at the Bienal could be a highlight of your trip and a great intro to this powerful and beautiful art so important for Sevilla and all of Andalucía. http://www.labienal.com/en/

Some of the artists that's already signed up for this years edition of the Bienal de Flamenco de Sevilla:

Mayte Martín (song): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGc98BfCoYA
Estrella Morente (song): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np5kLHhX7BQ
Rocío Molina (dance): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRLSLYvbn1c
Israel Galván (dance): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTXf01hRr94
Dorantes (piano): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOjtXiPl8Rk
Farruquito (dance): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmW2oNDoHWE
Arcángel (song): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeJcylN9Ey4
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 07:19 AM

I think a tour of Pueblos Blancos is over rated. One or two are fine but after that there is a sameness.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 07:29 AM

And if you stay in Casares, there you definitely have your white village: http://www.andalucia.com/casares/home.htm
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV_6TzmF7oQ
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Well, that's a happy accident. Thank you, kimhe. After watching the video I'll have to remember to bring my checkbook so we can buy a villa while we're there. They're quite nice!
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 08:14 AM

he-he, and I recommend to seriously consider a night at the Bienal in Sevilla (above).
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we definitely plan to do that. How far in advance should I start looking for tickets? Any idea?
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 10:29 AM

I'm not sure when the tickets are ready for sale this year, but they use to be on sale from about April/May. The start of the sale will be announced on this site, and some of the concerts are sold out in a few days: http://www.flamenco-world.com/flamenco.htm