Opinions on Trieste Italy-pro or con

Mar 27th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Chris

Opinions on Trieste Italy-pro or con

I'm thinking about spending a day or two here, however, I've heard some negative remarks on it from a friend of mine in Europe. Please share any thoughts you have on the city, or things to do there so I can make an informed decision.

Mar 28th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Steve James

Hello Chris,

I visited 3 months ago and I have to say that I was unimpressed/disappointed.
It has one very fine piazza, an interesting Roman amphitheatre and ...
Well, - if it had other sites to offer I'm afraid they escaped me.

I hope someone else can be more positive!
Perhaps I went on a bad day ...

If you do go, the caves of Postojna over the border in Slovenia make a fascinating trip.

Steve

Mar 28th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Wayne

Trieste has a fairly interesting old town area; outside of that, being a port city, it is a bit grungy, in my opinion. I'd second the motion to go over to Slovenia, either the Istrian peninsula or to the mountains around Bled.

Mar 28th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Joe

Chris: Trieste is OK; interesting old town, beautiful cathedral and fort above the town, great reataurants, wonderful views of the Gulf of Tieste. However, not a destination unto itself. But, the old fishing village of Muggia about seven miles to the South, the wonderful roman ruins at Aquilea, especially the magniicent mosaic floors in the Basilica, and the fishing village of Grado, made our trip to Trieste well worth while. The views of the gulf are especially awesome on the way to Muggia and at the top of the hill in Muggia (hike up the hill to the old cathedral). We did enjoy "the area" very much.

Mar 30th, 2002, 11:57 AM
ruth

I was there for 2 days 2 years ago and I am glad I went. If you are going in nice warm weather, I certainly recommend it and bring your bathing suit. Take the funicular up to the old town and enjoy being in a non-touristy city.