Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Opinions on this Apartment Location (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/opinions-on-this-apartment-location-1078338/)

thevacationqueen Nov 16th, 2015 06:39 AM

Opinions on this Apartment Location

We are planning a 6 wk trip to France next fall, which includes a 3-4 week stay in Paris. For the past few weeks I've been obsessively searching for the "perfect" apartment, and have nearly driven myself crazy (crazier?) trying to make a decision.

After the heartbreaking and horrifying events last Friday, I think I've pulled myself together and put it into perspective! It's just an apartment--and we're just renting for 3-4 weeks!

Our top choice apartment seems perfect for us and "ticks all of our boxes", so to speak. I would love some input on the location/neighborhood. I have done a Google Street View walk around and it looks good to me--but I'd love some opinions from locals and/or experts! Even though this is our 6th visit to Paris, I certainly don't consider us experts.

A little about us: We are a young at heart senior couple. Our idea for this stay is to relax, wander around some interesting neighborhoods, visit some new (to us) museums, and take a few day trips out of Paris. We plan on many long, leisurely lunches with wine! We aren't looking for nightlife--but just a nice neighborhood with some mid-range restaurants, bakeries, markets, etc. This 3-4 week stay will be at the end of our trip, and we just want to relax and enjoy Paris.

The apartment is near the Les Gobelins Metro, at the corner of Blvd. St Marcel and Avenue des Gobelins.
Any issues that I should be aware of? Pros/cons?

I wish we could leave tomorrow---my heart goes out to the lovely and kind people of our beloved Paris.
Thanks in advance....
TVQ

pariswat Nov 16th, 2015 06:53 AM

I like the area but am always there in the evening, so cannot comment about shops/life etc.

Be also sure to read threads about legality of appts in Paris, and don't accept a big downpayment and be aware of owners asking to be paid cash - pretty sure signs of renting an illegal appt, which can be then removed from the market in case of a check (remote risk but existing one).

Mvg.

thevacationqueen Nov 16th, 2015 07:00 AM

Thanks Mvg.

Yes, I am aware of the apartment issues in Paris. We have rented each visit, and have been lucky to find great apartments. We want to try a new area this time!

This apartment is through HomeAway, and asks for a small deposit at the time of booking, instead of payment in full. It has many recent and very good reviews. All in all, I'm very comfortable with it.

Still hoping for more opinions on the neighborhood!
Thanks again,
TVQ

f1racegirl Nov 16th, 2015 07:34 AM

I see no issues. I was on a bus through the area last week.

Christina Nov 16th, 2015 09:05 AM

I've stayed near that area several times, I like it. It's a good area to be. Excellent transportation (metro and bus), lots of markets, cafes, restaurants in the area (even cinemas) and it's cheaper than places like the Marais/St Germain.

Good street market on rue Mouffetard as well as Gobelins has a roving street market also (down near Tolbiac, as I recall).

what else do you want?

ONly issue is I can't imagine having an apt right at the intersection of two huge streets like that with lots of traffic. Hope it doesn't look over the street, it will be noisy.

Christina Nov 16th, 2015 09:07 AM

BTW, why didn't you post the link? I'm very familiar with that area and would be curious, even for future visits for myself, perhaps.

I can give you a few resto ideas.

MaineGG Nov 16th, 2015 09:16 AM

I don't really know the neighborhood, but it's a good location for bus transportation around the city. If you click on 'Les Gobelins' on the RATP interactive bus map, you will see all the bus lines that serve this stop. We use buses most of the time now and always use the Navigo pass. It's quite a bargain now that it is valid for all five zones thus useful for many popular daytrip destinations. The Navigo Semaine/Week pass is valid Monday through Sunday. The Navigo Mois/Month pass is valid from the 1st through the last day of a calendar month.

http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/cartebus.php?lang=uk

http://www.vianavigo.com/en/tickets-...avigo-semaine/

thevacationqueen Nov 16th, 2015 10:04 AM

Thanks for all the feedback....

Christina--here's a link to the apartment:

http://www.vrbo.com/6359790ha

I'm also considering one near Place des Vosges on Rue du Pas de la Mules--I'd love to be near Bastille Market.

Hmmmmmm.....decisions, decisions!

fuzzbucket Nov 16th, 2015 10:39 AM

The Gobelins location is an average, working-class neighborhood which offers very little in the way of tourist amenities - probably not what you've been used to in previous visits, and might not give you the ambiance you had in mind. I would ask to see a photo of the toilet, and ask if it's a "sanibroyeur" (electric grinder toilet). If that's the case, I would definitely choose another apt.

I live around the corner from rue du Pas de la Mule and know most of the rentals on that street. It's a busy street, and depending on the exact location, you might be too close to some noisy bars/restaurants. The Bastille market is a definite plus, and you will probably be much more comfortable staying in this neighborhood and just going to visit other arrondissements, instead. If you care to post a link, I could give you much better information.

thevacationqueen Nov 16th, 2015 12:44 PM

Merci fuzzbucket! That's just the kind of advice I'm looking for.

Here's a link to the apartment on Pas de la Mule:

http://www.vrbo.com/1148499a

The apartment is on the 4th floor above the Boucherier that's on the street level.

It does not face the street, but the living room and bedroom windows open on to a large balcony overlooking a "quite garden"--so noise should not be an issue. I'm guessing the "quiet garden" could, in reality, be just a courtyard, as we've experienced in most other apartments we've rented in Paris! There were no pictures of this garden on VRBO.

There are two things about this apartment that I don't particularly care for: It looks like it might be a bit dark; and I would prefer a walk in shower to a tub. But all in all, I think we would love the location.

Thanks again fuzzbucket, and please accept our heartfelt sympathies for the recent horrific events in your beautiful city. Paris and it's wonderful people have been on my mind and in my heart these past few days.
TVQ (Diana)

fuzzbucket Nov 17th, 2015 12:36 AM

This apartment is located in a group of mixed-income apartments situated in a modern building. If you're looking for "charm", this isn't it, though it will be convenient and it's in a nice neighborhood.

You're right - the apartment is dark - if it overlooked the street and was on the 4th floor, you'd have much more light. As it is, the building is surrounded on 3 sides by buildings of equal or taller height - all of them overlook a warren of courtyards (there are trees there) - so there won't be much light to speak of. It's unclear which part of this complex your apartment is located in, and difficult to tell anything about "the large balcony" that is mentioned.

Again, I would ask if the toilet is a "standard" model instead of an electric one. I would also ask about the date it was last renovated. Most of the apartments I've seen on this block were purchased decades ago as investment property and have not been upgraded recently. I'm sure you know that this type of apartment is not legal, since the owner also lists many other properties for rent.

The one thing that bothers me is that there is not one mention of anything that went wrong, or of anything the customers didn't like about the apartment. Normally, for me that's a big red flag.

There are other apartments on this street that have been recently renovated and are much brighter than the one you mentioned. Just Google around near Place des Vosges and you'll find something you'd probably enjoy better. The 1930's building on the corner above the bakery has some nicer apartments, though most give onto the street and might be noisy.

thevacationqueen Nov 17th, 2015 08:13 AM

Thank you so much fuzz bucket. I appreciate your expert advice and opinion.

Anyway-- the apartment is not available for our dates. Just as well, we may have lucked out on this one!

I'm back to my seemingly endless search for an apartment in Paris. I'm sure I'll find some place to rest our weary bones ;}

Diana