Search

Opinions on Andalucia Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on Andalucia Itinerary

Hello,

I'd appreciate opinions on this draft itinerary. My mom and I are travelling to Andalucia in mid May. We're simple (aka frugal) folks and don't need fancy accomodation. However we don't want bunk style hostels.

I'm eager to rent a car for a bit of the trip - to enjoy the freedom it lends. As I've posted before, she's nervous about the driving conditions. Hopefully this itineray will combine car/public transport with the least drama!

We're excited about the white towns, alhmabra, and catching a festival. Everything will be new to us and exciting, actually. I'll have a backpack, I expect she'll have a small suitcase. And we are good walkers. Thank you.

May 17- 10:30 AM ... leave Seville by car for ... El Puerto de Santa Maria -- 20 mi. from Cadiz (stay at Sercotel Monasterio San Miguel)

May 18 -- leave PSM for Cadiz area. Explore coastal area around Cadiz, then towards Algeciras, Terifa(Gibraltar)

(May 18 night = OPEN)

May 19 .... Malaga --- ? ... Neija to Ronda? ....... (night? ...)

May 20 .... Ronda

May 21. ... PM --- to Granada (night: Granada -- CASA SALVADOR: Duende 6)

May 22 .... Granada (Casa Salvador)

May 23 ..... PM leave for Seville (car, bus, or train)

May 23 ..... 7PM ... arrive in Seville for 3 nights
24 (Cordoba, etc.)?
25 SEVILLE

May 26 .....Leave Alcazar Hotel at 5:00 A.M. by taxi for airport check in
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 10:44 AM

I see no plans to stop between Sevilla and PdSM, so I would take the train or bus for that part. Driving from Cadiz could be nice though--I was quite interested in visiting Medina Sidonia (inland), but did not make it on my last trip.
Traffic in cities can be hairy, but no problems driving otherwise.
I don't see any reason to drive all the way to Algeciras, why not stop in Vejer or somewhere small like that instead? Why are you sipping Cadiz (or are you just hopping over in your brief time in PdSM?)
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:36 PM

A lot of driving in few days.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:50 PM

Here are a few ideas:

South of Cadiz along the coast: you have some nice little towns - Conil, Vejer de la Frontera, and the Roman ruins of Baelo Claudia just 15km north of Tarifa right on the beach.

May 19 and 20, you have Malaga and Ronda, respectively. This would be back tracking a bit. Another option of seeing some more of the white villages could be to go east from Jerez de la Frontera to Ronda and visit Arcos de la Frontera and Grazalema on the way.

If you still have the car from Granada, you could easily work in Cordoba on your way back to Sevilla.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 03:39 AM

You can get train from Sevilla to El Puerto. Monasterio is pleasant but parking and driving around there will be a pain (though it is close to railway station in Puerto, As an alternative you could look at Hotel Los Jandalos in Viostahermosa, the western part of El Puerto - very good prices in very good hotel and they have apartments for around €100pn, maybe a bit more if you coincide with fiesta in puerto and certainly if you're here for the moto gp in jerez.
from el puerto you can take the vaporcito ferry boat or the modern catamaran ferry across the bay to cadiz - and believe me you don't want to drive in and out of cadiz unless its essential. so you could stay two nights in one place and do a good day in cadiz.
from el puerto you could rent a car (probably more choice if you pick up at jerez airport, 25 mins by taxi, probably around €30 but that would need checking). you could then either head south east along the coast (vejer, bolonia are worth looking at, the rest are seaside resorts/fishing towns and not spectacular; tarifa is quite interesting but v windy, there's really not much to medina sidonia other than the fact that it's a typical andalucian town and you'll see plenty of those). altenatively you could drive a few miles nw to sanlucar de barrameda, lovely seaside town with things to do/see for half a day and from there head east (skirting jerez or not) then on into the pueblose blancos...arcos, zahara sierra, grazalema, setenil, olvera and on to ronda - plenty of posts here about pueblos blancos - where you could stop over before heading on to granada. this way you won't really see the coast (you can dip your toes in the water at cadiz and el puerto then again at sanlucar) but you'll get to see a lot of authentic andalucia at a reasonable pace before doing granada and seville. you could drop off your car at granada airport to avoid driving in the city or you could leave it at sevilla airport before going in to the city. and, you could stop over in cordoba on the way back to sevilla, as suggested earlier
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 04:14 AM

An itinerary that would make sense: Cadiz/Jerez/El Puerto, to Medina Sidonia, Arcos, Grazalema, Ronda. Then Malaga, Nerja and north to Granada.
Or if you insist on Tarifa: Cadiz to Vejer, Tarifa and then, passing Algeciras, north to Castellar (the town in the castle, not the new one), and Ronda.
You must have in mind a two things when you drive: You always take longer than scheduled; and you ned extra time from arrival till you find your hotel or park.